Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] F Shane Pinto re-signs with the Senators (1 year, $775k)

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Exactly. Now any team can afford him, so it opens the door for him to get a new start somewhere else, and the team to get the best value back for him. He’ll be gone shortly.
Um, no, a player coming off a long-term suspension, who hasn't played for 8+ months now, is anything but the situation in which you get the best value for him.

There is no indication that Ottawa wants to get rid of him. If they had wanted to do that, they could have done that at any time during his suspension.
If anything, the exact opposite is the case. They were very protective of him throughout out whole ordeal, and he was very much considered an important piece for the future the entire time. It just so happens that Ottawa put itself into a tough position with the cap, and Pinto didn't want to bite the bullet and take a contract that was way below his value. Then the suspension came along, at a time were it was rumoured that the two sides were closing in on a deal.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Pinto is back with the boys. Watching the video of him talking his return was funny. Holy crap he's a lost character from Letterkenny/

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
This is close but not entirely accurate. He has a US DraftKings account and couldn't make his picks from a Canadian IP so got his buddy in the US (I'm guessing NY) to log in and make the picks for him. It got flagged by DraftKings to the NHL as Pinto was quite clearly in Ottawa at the time
Dude there's a full page of sarcastic answers and you single out mine for being realistic?

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
With a milder media market compared to other Canadian cities, hopefully he can restart his career.

If this was in Vancouver or Toronto, I would bet the media would overwhelm the situation, and force him to say, Arizona.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Exactly. Now any team can afford him, so it opens the door for him to get a new start somewhere else, and the team to get the best value back for him. He’ll be gone shortly.
He’s not going anywhere this year, and will likely sign an extension after this year

Reactions: Sting

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Maybe it's been discussed elsewhere, but I'm confused how he has served his suspension when he wasn't even under contract with an NHL team during the suspension?

Like how has he sat out 41 games when he wasn't even under conteact to a team that has played 41 games?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Maybe it's been discussed elsewhere, but I'm confused how he has served his suspension when he wasn't even under contract with an NHL team during the suspension?

Like how has he sat out 41 games when he wasn't even under conteact to a team that has played 41 games?
I’m wondering this also

theVladiator

May 26, 2018

I believe this was stipulated at the time suspension was made. Maybe it is more appropriate to call it "half-season suspension", would have been more clear? It does make sense, once you remember that he was under investigation and essentially under indefinite suspension from the start of the season until the ruling was made. Basically, Sens weren't going to sign him until the ruling, and were keeping the lid on the reasons. So they just counted all the Sens games from the season's start until the 41st Sens game, and those are the games he is considered barred from playing in (suspended).

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
why was he suspended again? I don't follow the sens
Your location says Ottawa, how can you of missed the news.

Is he even eligible to play? because I remember when Nylander signed the contract he's currently on he signed it on the last day and that was December 1st.

It's January 19th.
Willy wasn’t a 10.2c, similar one happened recently, can’t recall whom, read it in one of the Pinto threads.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Gary told the Sens to stop negotiating late August.

Reactions: Pink Mist

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
With a milder media market compared to other Canadian cities, hopefully he can restart his career.

If this was in Vancouver or Toronto, I would bet the media would overwhelm the situation, and force him to say, Arizona.
No, it was a daily thing on talk shows, non stop.

Pinto said he was appreciative of management taking shots for him, before the news broke publicly, and for the team standing by him he said.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013

If Pinto played for Toronto he would have never been suspended that many games, the NHL only chooses smaller franchises to make "examples of".

Reactions: cptjeff

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
If Pinto played for Toronto he would have never been suspended that many games, the NHL only chooses smaller franchises to make "examples of".

Like the Devils getting away with the Kovalchuk penalties, and everyone else not get penalized for the long contracts, LTIR abuse.

But Vancouver gets stuffed with the Luongo recapture penalty.

Or how Chicago didn't get penalized at all, and got rewarded with the lottery, after the whole mess.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Big situation for the Sens and their fans, to keep an eye on. There’s a lot of scouts and people around the game, who think very highly of Shane Pinto. The Sens “HAD” also put their cards on the table already, with who they’ve chosen to invest in long-term BUT as Garrioch said between periods last night, this new regime owes nothing to the current roster. If they believe Pinto is that long-term 2C, decisions will be coming. Maybe as soon as this summer. Would anyone be shocked if Norris is moved? Chabot? Batherson? You shouldn’t be.

Those players are owed no loyalty now. Not with a new management team.

If he comes back and plays well, there’s a good chance his $2.5-$3 million ask prior to his suspension, will grow substantially. Not even counting the next contract, and that’s the big question.

The good thing is, they have some time here. If he comes back and has a horrible next month, there’s probably a good chance he’s sent packing too. The new regime may not want to drag out a contract negotiation this summer. A slow start is expected obviously not playing for so long, but within 10 games, he should be up to speed. Those next stretches of games could determine alot of what happens with the Sens moving forward.

Teams will always line up to acquire a pivot with his size/skill. Terribly underrated on this site. Purely because of where he was drafted. Make no mistake though. Teams would love to get their hands on Pinto. The worse thing that can happen, is this new management acts too quickly on Pinto and chooses to just cut ties for much cheaper than he’s worth. Guarantee teams will be calling to find out..

Looking at the Sens composition though, it seems they really need a big middle six hard minutes center, the guy to take the hard matchups. They're getting smoked at 5v5 defense, worst goals against rate in the NHL.

Pinto is a guy they need to mend the relationship with. A trade of a one-way forward would make more sense.

Reactions: Petes2424

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Feels like he really gambled and lost here. That shenanigans cost him some money for sure.

Though making it a 1-year deal, it probably puts him in a similar position as he'd have been anyway...just kicked a year down the road, a year older but without a year of extra track record to lean on in negotiations. And probably a quarter of a million bucks or more of salary poorer than if he'd been able to do the deal for this year. Plus obviously deferring the entire salary to next year, and not being able to get into earning a bigger paycheque a year earlier...which is big, with the time value of money. Think of all the wagers he could've made to grow that money in the meantime. Lost opportunities i guess.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Pretty much what everyone figured would happen.

Pinto takes his lumps, gets league minimum and can prove himself the rest of the season. The Sens fit him in under the cap and can extend him at a more realistic salary for next season when some cap opens up.

Good stuff.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Looking at the Sens composition though, it seems they really need a big middle six hard minutes center, the guy to take the hard matchups. They're getting smoked at 5v5 defense, worst goals against rate in the NHL.

Pinto is a guy they need to mend the relationship with. A trade of a one-way forward would make more sense.
The one thing they’ve talked about, is bringing in professionals. Guys who come to work everyday, play their 200’ game and just play solid hockey, while giving some secondary scoring and killing penalties.. Experienced veterans who aren’t looking for all the accolades. Not the CG, Kubalik and Tarasenko types. They’d be a better team right now, if they did what Detroit did with Maatta, Copp and Compher types. Guys who just play a professional game every night, who don’t make many mistakes.

I agree with that. It’s still what they should do. Detroit is now set for when all their draft picks are ready. They’ll slide right in with no pressure like the Ottawa kids had to play with. Are still playing with.

The problem is, Ottawa isn’t a premier team UFAs sign with. So they’ll have to get those types through trades. So who do they trade to bring in those types of players? Is it Pinto? Chychrun? Maybe it is. They can also grab some extra prospects and picks making those types of moves. I don’t know exactly who those players would be, but they’re out there. Boone Jenner would be a perfect one to target. Branden Tanev from Seattle would be that type of player, who wouldn’t cost a ton. Brandon Saad is another one. They’re out there.

They bring in 3-4 of those type of players, watch how the team takes off. Even if it means Chychrun, Pinto and Greig are gone. They have a core of very skilled, high-end players. Surround them with those no nonsense professionals.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
I still dont even know what happened exacly, as a sens fan, just amazing that chicago rape and abuse cases gets slipped under the rug and ottawa gets all these penalties and half year sussies for issues that dont even compare.

Reactions: xVolchenkov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad