Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] F Shane Pinto re-signs with the Senators (1 year, $775k)

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Wow that’s a steal of a contract for this year. Puts the Sens in a great spot for this season. They better go all in this year while they still have Pinto at 775 because next year he’s gonna get paid.

• Haha
Reactions: HabsQC

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
That sucks that his suspension was so long, I’m pretty sure signing his contract so late means he won’t be eligible for the playoffs. Ah well always next year.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Are there additional terms that make it "probationary"? Or what's with the word choice here

That sucks that his suspension was so long, I’m pretty sure signing his contract so late means he won’t be eligible for the playoffs. Ah well always next year.
lol. But no, if hell freezes over Pinto will be eligible, pretty sure the trade deadline is the cutoff point

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I can guarantee you that new management is smarter than deciding on Shane Pinto's fate after watching him play 10 games this year (after having not played since April 2023).

He will be kept, no doubt.
We honestly have no idea what they’ll do. As an outsider, sure, you and I can agree that should be the case. Exactly why I said, “the good thing is, they have time.”

We have no history to go off of though. They may already hold a negative opinion on Pinto. Obviously they won’t leak that, but there’s many, many people within hockey, who have this elitist opinion, that “playing in the NHL is a privilege”, and don’t like players who would jeopardize that. More people than most would think. Those folks see him as someone who hurt his teammates by getting himself suspended for half of a season, and have already judged him long-term. Fair or not, there’s lots of those people in the NHL management bubble.

So they may have already made their decision on Pinto. If they have, it’s likely a negative opinion. Like I said though, nobody’s leaking that. We’ll just wake up one morning and see he’s been traded to Columbus for a couple 2nd Rounders and Elvis.

We just don’t know what to expect yet. For all we know, they’ve already agreed to try moving him, for a fresh start somewhere. Once again, nobody’s leaking that, if that’s the case. I wouldn’t, but I’m not making that decision either.

Reactions: sepster

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
This was expected. He had no leverage, and is probably just happy to be playing again (soon).

He has 41 games to show what he's actually worth now.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
We honestly have no idea what they’ll do. As an outsider, sure, you and I can agree that should be the case. Exactly why I said, “the good thing is, they have time.”

Based off everything that has been reported the current management see him as a core piece and they have discussed long term contracts with his side.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Going into the season the Sens had no capspace or ability to sign Pinto to a fair contract. Fast forward to today, they have the capspace and got him at a low caphit.

Looks like everything turned out perfectly for the Sens! :)

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
This was expected. He had no leverage, and is probably just happy to be playing again (soon).

He has 41 games to show what he's actually worth now.
He didn't personally have to deal with a media circus the Sens kind of soaked that all up for him, so kind of a thanks to them too. By all accounts they weren't trying to hard ball him they just planned their cap structure horribly so I don't think there's bad blood

Reactions: KevinRedkey

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Going into the season the Sens had no capspace or ability to sign Pinto to a fair contract. Fast forward to today, they have the capspace and got him at a low caphit.

Looks like everything turned out perfectly for the Sens! :)
Bottom 5 when expected to be in the mix for playoffs so I don't know about perfectly lol

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I assume the paperwork for this was all completed before December 1?? Or does December 1 not come into play in this situation for whatever reason??

For some reason that I can't put my finger on, I do not trust the Senators to have properly crossed their Is and dotted their Ts
Dorion is long gone lol

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
He made too much money betting on football, the gambling company reported him to the NHL and they decided they're going to take away another first round pick.
This is close but not entirely accurate. He has a US DraftKings account and couldn't make his picks from a Canadian IP so got his buddy in the US (I'm guessing NY) to log in and make the picks for him. It got flagged by DraftKings to the NHL as Pinto was quite clearly in Ottawa at the time
Is he even eligible to play? because I remember when Nylander signed the contract he's currently on he signed it on the last day and that was December 1st.

It's January 19th.

League should make that case and have his suspension start today!
This was all cleared up when they announced the suspension in October. The Jan 1 rule didn't apply to him, and they advised that the suspension had already been started, regardless of his contract status.

If that wasn't the case, do you really think Ottawa would wait until Game 40 to give him his 1 year league minimum contract? I know Dorion was still there for a week after that but come on people.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Roughly how much money would you say the suspension cost him when you consider lost salary during suspension and affect on his contract negotiations?

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
This is kind of a do-over contract for 2024/2025. Its a good gamble for both sides.
milhouse-van-houten-the-simpsons.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad