Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] Evgenii Dadonov signs with the Senators (3 years, $5M AAV)

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He gets to live in a Canadian city, and might not even have to travel to the US where COVID rates are higher and where there is no assurance of a peaceful transition of power if one is called for following an upcoming election.

Perhaps he's had enough of the disease and violence now prevalent in the US.
That and our dollar is 25% less than the US dollar (players are paid in US dollars) so he has a 25% increase in purchase power. Even taking into account the tax rate difference between some US markets and Ontario I’m thinking he’s increasing his spending power by at least 15%.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I look at rosters of all the Canadian teams especially the 3 I mentioned and they are all stronger than Ottawa this year.

Toronto's playoff results have 0 to do with which team will be better this coming season

An Ontario team downplaying their lack of playoff success to talk about how good they are in the regular season... As a longtime Sens fan, I can tell you we wrote the book on this line of argument and it won't work with us.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am looking at this signing for 3 years, then I look at the Sens prospects that were already drafted prior to this year's draft, to the Sens that were drafted this year. Boy, if Melnyk doesn't mess this up. This is going to be one fun team to watch.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Does anyone think Ottawa will sign Duclair?
That would be epic. I think Duclair would round out our top 6 and he seemed to find a home in Ottawa last season. I would say the chances are low though but the Sens top 6 this season could be:

- Tkachuk
- Stutzle
- Norris
- Dadonov
- Duclair
- Batherson

Bottom 6:
- Watson
- Connor Brown
- Logan Brown
- Colin White
- Nick Paul
- Anisimov
- Tierney/Balcers

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Is there a scouting report on him in this thread?

What’s he like?

Pros:

Good for 20 goals at minimum, maybe more if your PP is somewhat decent
Decent speed and above average hustle/2 way game
Can play both wings but was used heavily as RW on line with Huberdeau and Barkov
No drama, fairly healthy
collects a ton of goals in the slot, even strength and on PP

Cons:

Sucks on breakaways
Saw his production drop when away from those two mentioned above
Not a line driver and average hockey IQ
Seemed to fade the last month before covid stoppage and was bad against NYI
Does disappear for stretches

All in all, he's a good top 6 player, think his production will drop without a legit #1C
Term and money are pretty fair, feel he will average around 20ish goals and 50ish pts for the 3 years of the deal.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Pretty solid.

I guess Hoffman told him how great an organization Melnyk runs.

That makes no sense for Dadonov why Ottawa? they aren't competitive not even close.

That's more confusing than Hall to Buffalo because at least Hall gets to play with Eichel for a year and then cash in.
No offense, but a run down, cheap disastrous owner like melnyk has at least been capable of going past a round or 2 multiple times. I am sure they will continue the trend soon enough. Good signing.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
That and our dollar is 25% less than the US dollar (players are paid in US dollars) so he has a 25% increase in purchase power. Even taking into account the tax rate difference between some US markets and Ontario I’m thinking he’s increasing his spending power by at least 15%.
Is that really how that works? I feel like an important adjustment is the cost of living. If it just takes an extra 15% of the canadian dollar to, say, buy the same amount of stuff, then there really isn't an increase in purchasing power.

Regardless, ott got a steal, I wish DW signed Dadonov to this deal.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Weird signing. Buys out Ryan, doesn't qualify Duclair, then goes and signs Dadonov to a 5M deal?

Ryan sucks, Duclair was trying to play hardball by representing himself so wasn’t qualified as a result of not accepting a reasonable offer, and he was replaced by a better player.

This Sens fan has no qualms with those moves. There’s still a possibility that Duclair re-signs. If he does the top 6 will look pretty good for the Sens with Tkachuk/Stutzle/Dadonov/Batherson/Duclair

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
May never win a playoff series again. Any leaf fan that isnt atleast 21 years old has never seen them win a playoffs series. Can you imagine? Then they come and talk so much smack on here its truly an unbelievable mind set.

Right. But the 21 year olds were only allowed up til the end of the first period back then so they don't really remember it either

Reactions: bert and branch

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Keeping this to 3 years makes this a pretty solid deal. Dadonov may not be a line driver but I think he'll be good to average 20-25 goals per season (/82) over the course of those 3 years, with maybe a decent chance at higher output on the front end and the last year perhaps being a little rough given his age but overall it's not that big of a risk. If he plays well this year and Ottawa is bad, that's definitely a movable contract at the deadline as well to a contender needing some secondary scoring.

Well done. I don't see how anybody can say otherwise.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
wait a second; Melnyk was alright with spending 15 million?

wohhh,.....

8 million per for CHabot on a long term deal
6 million per for Murray on a long term deal
Now a nice solid 5 million dollar per deal for Dadonov.

Melnyk seems to be putting his money where his mouth is. Hopefully he keeps it up

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Keeping this to 3 years makes this a pretty solid deal. Dadonov may not be a line driver but I think he'll be good to average 20-25 goals per season (/82) over the course of those 3 years, with maybe a decent chance at higher output on the front end and the last year perhaps being a little rough given his age but overall it's not that big of a risk. If he plays well this year and Ottawa is bad, that's definitely a movable contract at the deadline as well to a contender needing some secondary scoring.

Well done. I don't see how anybody can say otherwise.
While i agree with you I find this site strange.
Dadonov signed till he's 34 is a great deal.
Gallagher signed till he's 35, That contract won't age well.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

This presumes things cost the same in Canada and the US, which isn't true.

Reactions: Seanaconda and Ciao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad