OT: Other Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies... IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Incredible how big of a percentage of replies to anything CFC posts is other teams' fans' uncreative shit talk. Hey Brits, immediately get jobs and multiple hobbies.
It's funny how everyone thinks of British people as "civilised" and "cultured", but doesn't realise the amount of hooliganism and banter when it comes to the footballing side of the country (which majority of Brits are part of). I haven't ever heard the word :eek::eek::eek::eek: in my life until I started following football as one of my main sport passions. Now everyone is a :eek::eek::eek::eek: of an opposing team I guess.

I think the banter was always there, social media just allowed everyone to say what they want behind a keyboard. However, I also think social media has increased the banter potential (and decreasing the age of that lifestyle) a thousandfold because it is so much easier nowadays since so many people use the internet for a daily portion of their lives. Just look at AFTV, it's insanely popular because the enjoyment of trying to trigger hotheads from opposing fans. A Chelsea fan pays five quid for a superchat on a Youtube live stream to banter Ty and Ty simply loses it making all the other neutrals laugh. The real winners is that Robbie and AFTV are five pounds richer.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
As a Brit I can attest that football hooliganism is problematic, as it is all over Europe in fact with the "ultras" or whatever term has been coined.

However, it's not some widespread problem. It's very much a noisy minority of idiots who cannot control themselves. Brits have a very weird relationship with alcohol, not unlike Americans, where it is all about getting as many drinks in you as possible as quickly as possible. French people, as an example, have a much more civilized relationship with drink where they are raised to appreciate wine with a meal from a young age, and drinking tends to go hand in hand with food. In Britain people drink hard on empty stomachs and things get violent. That's not to say that it's a majority of people like that, but when you mix that with football fanaticism and testosterone you end up with overweight men with no shirts on fighting and slinging around swear words.

The other side of this is the British relationship with words and swear words in particular. Brits are pretty inventive when it comes to using language for put downs, and words that are super offensive elsewhere are used daily in the UK. Similar in Australia. For example the C word is super common in Oz, less common but still used in the UK, and super frowned upon in the US. Brits just love insults, and combining words together in an insulting way. It's part of what makes British humour so great.

So while there are problems with football hooliganism it is not super widespread at all. Millions of people follow football, but it only takes a few hundred or thousand to cause shit.

Reactions: Avs91

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
As a Brit I can attest that football hooliganism is problematic, as it is all over Europe in fact with the "ultras" or whatever term has been coined.

However, it's not some widespread problem. It's very much a noisy minority of idiots who cannot control themselves. Brits have a very weird relationship with alcohol, not unlike Americans, where it is all about getting as many drinks in you as possible as quickly as possible. French people, as an example, have a much more civilized relationship with drink where they are raised to appreciate wine with a meal from a young age, and drinking tends to go hand in hand with food. In Britain people drink hard on empty stomachs and things get violent. That's not to say that it's a majority of people like that, but when you mix that with football fanaticism and testosterone you end up with overweight men with no shirts on fighting and slinging around swear words.

The other side of this is the British relationship with words and swear words in particular. Brits are pretty inventive when it comes to using language for put downs, and words that are super offensive elsewhere are used daily in the UK. Similar in Australia. For example the C word is super common in Oz, less common but still used in the UK, and super frowned upon in the US. Brits just love insults, and combining words together in an insulting way. It's part of what makes British humour so great.

So while there are problems with football hooliganism it is not super widespread at all. Millions of people follow football, but it only takes a few hundred or thousand to cause shit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as an American it seems like swearing in the UK (and much of Europe) is not nearly as taboo as it is here. Same with nudity. And I enjoy British humor, especially deadpan, quite a bit.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as an American it seems like swearing in the UK (and much of Europe) is not nearly as taboo as it is here. Same with nudity. And I enjoy British humor, especially deadpan, quite a bit.
It's not. The prudishness of NA society is hilarious.

Reactions: 5280 and Avs91

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado

You are correct. Swearing in the UK is far more common-place and far more creative. Swearing in the UK seems to just be part of the vernacular, and is used for more than just to express anger or frustration. It's all down to tone, context, and intent. If I say to my friend "What's up, you f***ing prick?" it's akin to "Hey, buddy, how's it going?" in the US. Swear words are terms of endearment too, if used correctly. I think that Brits have that down pat, being able to communicate through tone and context. My father and I call each other "dick" and "wanker" and stuff like that, not because we hate each other, but because it's just how we communicate.

It wouldn't be uncommon in the UK to be called a 'C' word and not take a lick of offense to it. If I said that to an American I'd probably get my face caved in. Brits also use everyday non-offensive words as insults. The most widely known is "mug" I would guess, but they also create compound words or combine multiple words into insults. This is part of the creativity with language I mentioned.

This is why I said that hearing football fans chanting the C word, or other words isn't necessarily hooliganism, it's just British.

Reactions: Avs91

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
It makes sense. We were settled by a bunch of Puritans and Quakers.
I know, but one would expect the society to evolve from some strict views on foul language. Especially given how far they went in other walks of life.

Reactions: 5280

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Lol I can't think of a more poorly run franchise than what the Broncos are right now.

Teddy f***ing Bridgewater are you f***ing kidding me. That guy sucks. Fangio is the worst head coach in the league by a country mile, no ownership, a garbage GM who is clearly in over is head... Just a joke right now.

How do you go with the one qb in the league that is actually worse than Lock? If you were going to go through with this show of a qb battle, which Lock won, he's year 3 Teddy is year 8, Teddy should have had to drastically outplay Lock which he didn't, and then still pick the journeyman... Then why the hell didn't you draft Fields have him sit behind the journeyman and trade Lock for some picks. It's just terrible asset management.

Hope Lock immediately demands a trade he deserved another season and from what I saw against Minnesota someone would be stupid not to give him one.

This move reeks of a desperate head coach trying save his job with a journeyman who got his ass beat by Lock just last season. Funny part is he had a better chance of saving his ass by playing Lock. Bye Fangio hope you enjoyed your time here. Because you are headed towards another 5 win season with 2 yard Teddy. There is a reason he is on like his 5th team in 8 years, he sucks.

This decision literally sets the franchise back another 5 years because safe journeyman don't get the job done end of discussion. Ask Keenum, Flacco, and Simeian.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Lol I can't think of a more poorly run franchise than what the Broncos are right now.

Teddy f***ing Bridgewater are you f***ing kidding me. That guy sucks. Fangio is the worst head coach in the league by a country mile, no ownership, a garbage GM who is clearly in over is head... Just a joke right now.

How do you go with the one qb in the league that is actually worse than Lock? If you were going to go through with this show of a qb battle, which Lock won, he's year 3 Teddy is year 8, Teddy should have had to drastically outplay Lock which he didn't, and then still pick the journeyman... Then why the hell didn't you draft Fields have him sit behind the journeyman and trade Lock for some picks. It's just terrible asset management.

Hope Lock immediately demands a trade he deserved another season and from what I saw against Minnesota someone would be stupid not to give him one.

This move reeks of a desperate head coach trying save his job with a journeyman who got his ass beat by Lock just last season. Funny part is he had a better chance of saving his ass by playing Lock. Bye Fangio hope you enjoyed your time here. Because you are headed towards another 5 win season with 2 yard Teddy. There is a reason he is on like his 5th team in 8 years, he sucks.

This decision literally sets the franchise back another 5 years because safe journeyman don't get the job done end of discussion. Ask Keenum, Flacco, and Simeian.
I mean... yeah but what did you expect?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

What about the Rockies?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I mean it's not like Lock has shown this sky high potential at this point. Lock looks like he at best will be a journeyman qb.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I actually like Teddy but let’s be honest here - Drew Lock isn’t going to be our QB for the next 10 years. He still needs time to develop and he came out of school too early (just as everyone said when he opted in to the draft). Our future QB isn’t on the roster right now. And Lock is tied up on his rookie deal I think through next year. He’s got plenty of time to still develop and learn the game.

this teams getting sold at the end of the year. I just hope the games are competitive enough that I can bear to watch some of them.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Bridgewater is a never was, game manager. He takes no risks and definitely doesn't try to actually win games. Lock, while most likely a bust still has room to develop. This is just Vic trying to save his job. It will blow up in his face. I wouldn't be surprised if Teddy is greeted with boos on opening night, if he even makes it to week 3 as the starter.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Bridgewater is a never was, game manager. He takes no risks and definitely doesn't try to actually win games. Lock, while most likely a bust still has room to develop. This is just Vic trying to save his job. It will blow up in his face. I wouldn't be surprised if Teddy is greeted with boos on opening night, if he even makes it to week 3 as the starter.

he will likely make it to game 3 - our first 3 opponents are the giants, jags and jets. It’s game 4 vs the Ravens where the donkeys will hit their first speed bump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad