OT: Other Sports aka Denver Broncos Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Monte Ball has a long way to go in becoming a NFL running back. Needs a lot of work on the "other" things a RB does - catch, block, etc..

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
I was actually embarrassed at the stadium today that there were idiots booing the team off the field at halftime...when we had a lead.

Overall it was a really weird vibe at the game today and it started the moment you stepped into the stadium.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Holy Hell...

Red Sox vs. Tigers game 2 of ALCS looked like it was over. Sox down 5-1 and have hit like CRAP this game (and last game).

Bases were loaded with 2 outs and Ortiz facing a guy that he was 6-22 lifetime for with 0 Home Runs and 5 strikeouts...

He hits a Grand Slam to tie the game

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I thought the Oakland game had a weird vibe too. It is a weird position to be in, a team that's so much more talented than the other but not playing their best leads to ugly wins. I'll take any win and the fanbase is probably losing a bit of perspective getting spoiled but sometimes the ugly is hard to watch. I agree the booing was a bit much but some of those so called "hardcore" fanbases in the east never get criticized for things like that.

I hate the Dodgers and Red Sox so much I can't even watch those games. I enjoy baseball but this time of year I start hating it. There is no team even remotely fun to root for. But....I'll watch a tie game. The damn Sox are going to win this one though.

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I thought the Oakland game had a weird vibe too. It is a weird position to be in, a team that's so much more talented than the other but not playing their best leads to ugly wins. I'll take any win and the fanbase is probably losing a bit of perspective getting spoiled but sometimes the ugly is hard to watch. I agree the booing was a bit much but some of those so called "hardcore" fanbases in the east never get criticized for things like that.

I hate the Dodgers and Red Sox so much I can't even watch those games. I enjoy baseball but this time of year I start hating it. There is no team even remotely fun to root for. But....I'll watch a tie game. The damn Sox are going to win this one though.

You best watch yo self with those "hating the Red Sox" comments! :laugh: :sarcasm:

We agree on hockey (the Avalanche) but I can't have you degrading my Sox like that!

*all in good fun*

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
I was a fan of the Red Sox growing up, just because I hated the Yankees. But can't root for them now since *****orino is on that team.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Oh no, I intend to hold a grudge on the Sox until the Rockies lose to another team in the WS, which should be just about never. That and the whole inflated payroll, east coast arrogance and I'm a Rays fan factors in. But it's all good ;)

Good to hear about Ayers, hadn't heard an update on him. Supposedly Woodyard is close too. Now we gotta worry about Franklin though. Ugh.

OldSchoolAvalanche*

Spoiled we just went through some of the darkest days of this franchise.when make the playoffs at home and lose in a very heartbreaking way. There are very high expectations for this team.fans pay for the right to boo or cheer.it doesnt make them bad fans. It makes them passionate

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Oh no, I intend to hold a grudge on the Sox until the Rockies lose to another team in the WS, which should be just about never. That and the whole inflated payroll, east coast arrogance and I'm a Rays fan factors in. But it's all good ;)

Good to hear about Ayers, hadn't heard an update on him. Supposedly Woodyard is close too. Now we gotta worry about Franklin though. Ugh.

If THAT'S your reason for hating the Sox then I don't know what to say. The Rockies got hot at the end of that year and rode that wave all the way to the WS...but the matchup vs. the Red Sox that year was bad for them. Josh Beckett was still pitching lights out in the Playoffs, etc.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Broncos fans are a bit spoiled watching a team put up 35+ points a week, it's not easy to do that and now it's the expectation. But are we spoiled from a success standpoint, heck no. Trust me, I still have PTSD from all the different ways they've choked the last 10+ years. Which is why I'll believe they can get the important wins when I see it. And I agree that there is nothing wrong with being vocally passionate, some other fanbases are praised for having that identity.

As far as the Sox, oh I have a long list to fuel the hate. Just that reason makes it personal. Sox absolutely earned that WS win, I have no problems from that standpoint.

Huis Clos*

Broncos fans are a bit spoiled watching a team put up 35+ points a week, it's not easy to do that and now it's the expectation. But are we spoiled from a success standpoint, heck no. Trust me, I still have PTSD from all the different ways they've choked the last 10+ years. Which is why I'll believe they can get the important wins when I see it. And I agree that there is nothing wrong with being vocally passionate, some other fanbases are praised for having that identity.

As far as the Sox, oh I have a long list to fuel the hate. Just that reason makes it personal. Sox absolutely earned that WS win, I have no problems from that standpoint.

The Boston Red Sox are the same franchise as the New York Yankees except without the World Series titles. Obnoxious fans, bloated payrolls, media circus, pervasive arrogance, etc.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The Boston Red Sox are the same franchise as the New York Yankees except without the World Series titles. Obnoxious fans, bloated payrolls, media circus, pervasive arrogance, etc.

Yes, they are the exact same franchise as the NY Yankees....

:shakehead

Huis Clos*

Yes, they are the exact same franchise as the NY Yankees....

:shakehead

You're correct. I should have not said the exact same. They don't have near the success the Yankees have had. They just act like it. As smug as the Yankees are, at least they have the titles to back it up.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Von back next week, but more importantly Robert Ayers should be 100% :)

The most important piece on our defense is Wesley Woodyard. We need him back. I haven't heard if he will be but until he is back, our defense will be even more vulnerable. Woodyard is arguably the most important person on defense

Huis Clos*

The most important piece on our defense is Wesley Woodyard. We need him back. I haven't heard if he will be but until he is back, our defense will be even more vulnerable. Woodyard is arguably the most important person on defense

I agree. Woodyard makes the calls and checks and seems to have become the leader of the defense. I realize Dallas moved the ball against Denver even before Woodyard got hurt, but things really fell apart when he left the game. His coverage and ball skills are far superior to Lenon and Irving as well.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
You're correct. I should have not said the exact same. They don't have near the success the Yankees have had. They just act like it. As smug as the Yankees are, at least they have the titles to back it up.

Ok, not sure why being passionate about your team is now considered "smug".

Are there "bad fans" who make the fanbase look worse than it actually is? Sure, just like there are for EVERY team of EVERY sport out there. But I'm glad that you like to generalize an entire fanbase based soley on the "bad fans" who are obnoxious, smug, etc.

And "bloated payrolls"? The Red Sox are no where near as bad as the Yankees were/are and the Dodges are now. They sign Free Agents? Sure they do, but a lot of their money tends to be tied up in keeping their own players that they deem worth keeping. They tend to trade for talent, like Schilling, Gonzalez, Beckett (before he imploded on himself), Peavy, etc.

They've made, by my quick count (because I'm at work) 2 "Large FA Signings": Manny Ramirez (who helped them to the 2004 WS) and Carl Crawford (who has since been traded). Now they've signed other players as well, but those two would qualify as the largest because they received contracts among the highest ever given out.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
Here's an interesting stat. Through 6 games, the Broncos have 4 players on pace for 1000 yard receiving seasons.

DT is on pace for 1,408 yards
Jessie James' husband is on pace for 1,272 yards
Orange Julius is on pace for 1,016 yards (and almost 19 TDs)
Welker is on pace for 1,008 yards (and 21 TDs)

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
puigcalmdown.gif

Curious what you guys think of Puig. Great that he brings some additional excitement to baseball, but at a point it seems really self-fulfilling moreso than for the game and fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad