OT: Other Sports aka Denver Broncos Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1413097&page=41#top

Last couple posts.

This is what being a Nuggets fan in the 1980's was like.

You can't ever compare one week to another in the NFL. There are so many factors that play into games.

The Chargers who you seem to think are really good because they played the Cowboys better than we did, just went into Oakland and got manhandled by a Raiders team the Broncos took to the woodshed.

The Chargers are a good home team, Cowboys are an awful road team. Chargers probably didn't have 5 defensive starters out. There are just so many factors that go into each and every week. Do you honestly believe Romo does what he did if Bailey, Miller, Harris, Woodyard and Ayers play in the game. Not a chance. They may have scored some points but not that many. You don't have to have a defense that is all world if your offense is capable of scoring 40pts on any given day. You have to have a defense that is capable of making enough plays to give the offense the ball so they can do their thing. Our defense can do that once we get healthy. Which should hopefully be sooner than later.

People forgetting just how dominant Von Miller is. He would have been after DPOTY, could have won it. Was the 2nd best defensive player last year IMO. That Dallas game is a different one with him in it, Romo made some really nice plays scrambling. All tho our secondary was simply broke in the 2nd half.

Von Miller and Champ Bailey will drastically improve the defense. Not to mention a healthy Woodyard and a healthy Chris Harris.

Von is the best defensive player in the AFC outside of maybe JJ Watt, even you block him and focus on him that leaves less resources to block other guys like Phillips or Ayers or Wolfe.

Champ may not be as fast as he used to but, he can still cover top flight guys, which leaves DRC to cover 2nd WRs not #1s.

The Broncos are probably going to go 6-0 without their 2 best defensive players suiting up for one game, we are a scary team because of this. We might not go 16-0, but we will win a vast majority of the games we play in.

Take your 5 best starters off of any team and see what happens. I'm not worried

YIEtpGi.jpg

Issue was Peyton Manning, Julius Thomas, Wes Welker, and Demaryius Thomas are all considered part of our 5 best starters.

1. Petyon Manning
2. Von Miller
3. Ryan Clady (IR)
4. Wes Welker
5. Demaryius Thomas

Last edited by a moderator:

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
Some Buffs' notes, Addison Gillam is projected to get 147 tackles this year, only a true freshman.

They replaced Fresno State with Charleston Southern, and they got a waiver to be bowl eligible with 6 wins even though they played 2 FCS schools.

Honestly, they can be bowl eligible. @ASU/@UCLA/@Washington/USC is guaranteed loss, but I feel like they can beat Charleston Southern/Arizona/Cal/@Utah to get 6 wins.

Back to Broncos talk.

Huis Clos*

Some Buffs' notes, Addison Gillam is projected to get 147 tackles this year, only a true freshman.

They replaced Fresno State with Charleston Southern, and they got a waiver to be bowl eligible with 6 wins even though they played 2 FCS schools.

Honestly, they can be bowl eligible. @ASU/@UCLA/@Washington/USC is guaranteed loss, but I feel like they can beat Charleston Southern/Arizona/Cal/@Utah to get 6 wins.

Back to Broncos talk.

Gillam can ball. Hopefully he represents MacIntyre's greater ability to find talent.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Not really fair to say that Gillam is a true freshman. He was a 2012 recruit for SJSU that had shoulder surgery was going to hold him out of the 2012 season, so he went the greyshirt route and when MacIntyre took the job, he brought along Gillam as a recruit.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Rockies pick up option on DLR. That's good news.

Looked at Broncos schedule today. Later in the season we play Chiefs-Pats-Chiefs 3 weeks in a row.

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
Not really fair to say that Gillam is a true freshman. He was a 2012 recruit for SJSU that had shoulder surgery was going to hold him out of the 2012 season, so he went the greyshirt route and when MacIntyre took the job, he brought along Gillam as a recruit.
Sure, but while he was greyshirting, he had to work out by himself. He couldn't use the facilities at SJSU and work with the coaching staff.

MacIntyre really needs to get a playmaker at TE, one of many reasons why we blow at the redzone. No threat from that spot.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Sure, but while he was greyshirting, he had to work out by himself. He couldn't use the facilities at SJSU and work with the coaching staff.

MacIntyre really needs to get a playmaker at TE, one of many reasons why we blow at the redzone. No threat from that spot.

Yeah its too bad that Kasa is gone, it would have been interesting to see him in this system.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Champ Bailey was a full participant at practice for the first time all year today. Looks like he's ready to play against Jacksonville. It will be great to see him back on the field. He's a great tackler and the tackling in our secondary against Dallas was putrid. Champ won't put up with that arm tackle noise.

Harris was limited in practice, not yet cleared for contact after his minor concussion but still could play. Practiced in his jersey and shorts but no pads.

Woodyard and Ayers were in sweat pants and didn't participate in practice. Elway said on the radio that neither injury was long term but wouldn't commit to them playing this weekend.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
And only a few more weeks until Nuggets season. I hope our new coach and new players can lead us out of the first round for once.

Mammoth season is too far away though, not until after Christmas.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Not me...hoping to see a one-sided affair, in favor of the Broncos, with Peyton doing what Peyton does best.

I think Osweiler plays at least the 4th Q in this game, and we see a lot of Montee Ball. In fact I'm thinking of picking up Ball just because I am assuming he's going to get so much garbage time.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Anyone else see the picture of the Coors Field re-design? I guess it takes care of a good chunk of the empties on any given night but geeze. I think its gonna make a beautiful park kind gaudy and ugly.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm optimistic on the party deck. Coors Field is actually one of the oldest stadiums in baseball now so they need to keep innovating.

I admittedly follow and understand basketball the least of the four pro sports so I really have no clue what to expect from the Nuggets. Every time they make big changes I expect them to play poorly and yet they find ways to remain decent. What do you guys think? Whats realistic for the Nuggets this season?

As far as football, I'm pretty confident in the Broncos this week but it does worry me that they may be missing a lot of key starters on defense again. I'm glad Champ will be back but I'm hoping he looks like his old self, I need to see it to believe it.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I'm optimistic on the party deck. Coors Field is actually one of the oldest stadiums in baseball now so they need to keep innovating.

I admittedly follow and understand basketball the least of the four pro sports so I really have no clue what to expect from the Nuggets. Every time they make big changes I expect them to play poorly and yet they find ways to remain decent. What do you guys think? Whats realistic for the Nuggets this season?

As far as football, I'm pretty confident in the Broncos this week but it does worry me that they may be missing a lot of key starters on defense again. I'm glad Champ will be back but I'm hoping he looks like his old self, I need to see it to believe it.

I am not a Nuggets fan so take it with a grain of salt but I honestly believe that they will face a pretty steep decline.
They won't win 57 games again. They could make it as the 8th seed but when I look at this team I just can not believe how they managed to finish that high last year. So I am kind of in the same boat as you are. How did they do it?
George Karl and a deep team playing really fast and energetic in high altitude maybe?

I am not a big believer in Shaw. So I expect a real decline this time.

The Broncos should win 100 - 3 this week.
So it will probably be a close game...

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO

I watched the Cowboys-Broncos from their party deck. Still can't believe I saw that game for only $30. I paid more in beer than for my ticket.

Clips from Breast Awareness Sunday :laugh:

13-5-TEN-cheerleader.gif

13-6-IND-Mario-Harvey.gif

13-6-DAL-Murray-physics.gif

13-6-probowl.png

Pro Bowl Unis

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
The Nuggets will be a playoff team this year. Probably in the 5-7 seed range.

They brought in a lot of new faces but they did address some areas of need. They got better at the three point line and free throw line and they got better at rebounding. And they got tougher. Foye, Robinson, Arthur, and Hickson all address one or more of these issues better than the departed Kofous, Igoudala, or Brewer. Those four guys are all significant additions.

Their perimeter defense is probably still the biggest question mark on the team. That's where they're going to miss Iggy and Brewer. Robinson can't cover anybody so Chandler is going to have to guard smaller players and Foye and Lawson are going to have to hang tough. Hopefully Fournier is ready to take another step forward this year.

But our core is still intact. Lawson, McGee, Faried, Chandler, and the eventually returning Gallo are the big pieces. Andre Miller, Quincy Miller. Mozgov, Hamliton, Fournier, and Randolph are back.

It's about whether the new coach can find a good rotation. This team is still one of the deepest in the league position by position.

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
Ugh, I hate how SBNation is putting stupid captions in their gifs.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
About the Nuggets - I think everything depends on McGee this season again. Koufos played way too many minutes last year.

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
We burned Liufau's redshirt, had to be done. Wood was terrible. I'm high on Liufau, but I'm afraid he'll lose a lot of confidence playing behind this OL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad