OT: Other Sports 80

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Don't worry man, we're still cool.

Maybe the weather will cooperate and we could get on some hard water.

I still like you and your bro, and I did kinda lose my shit recently. But that has nothing to do with me thinking Gallo>Madrigal.

Ball go far, team go far.

Ball go far, team go far, ONLY if there are guys who can get on base in front of the big bats... solo HRs don't win games, don't win series, and don't win championships. Get real.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Nick Madrigal isn't a .300 hitter. If he was it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

He's a career .289 hitter that just hit .249 last season.

A career .289 hitter, whose average was dragged down by an injury plagued season, isn't an MLB player? What is your major malfunction? Leury Garcia has a f***ing OBP that is only EIGHT POINTS HIGHER. His average is .253. You have seriously lost your mind.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
A career .289 hitter, whose average was dragged down by an injury plagued season, isn't an MLB player? What is your major malfunction? Leury Garcia has a f***ing OBP that is only EIGHT POINTS HIGHER. His average is .253. You have seriously lost your mind.
There's a large difference between Madrigal and Kwan.

Kwan has gap power (Madrigal doesn't really)
Kwan gets on base. (Madrigal is a career .289 hitter but he only has a .336 OBP)

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Originally posted by Baseball America, an MLB scout on Madrigal:

Scout’s Take: “To me, there is no MLB carrying tool because his ability to make contact is not impactful. He’s not a plus runner, he’s not a plus defender, he doesn’t have a plus arm and he doesn’t have power.

“It’s a hard profile. He’s a contact bat that doesn’t strike out but doesn’t walk. He’s not a feared hitter in a lineup. I just don’t see him as a guy who can impact the game in any way, and it’s hard for him to be a utility guy because he can’t play the left side of the infield. He can’t hit leadoff because he doesn’t get on base enough and he can’t hit second because he doesn’t run and he can’t drive a ball out of the park. So where do you put him? I just don’t see a major league role for him.”

This pretty much sums up my thoughts. Especially the bolded.

There is also belief that Nick Hostetler got re-assigned in the org due to the Madrigal pick, if your read SoxTalk. (I know you guys do)

Last edited:

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
I agree. He is a decent backup but not sure I would want him as a starter. He is too small, not sure if adding muscle would help him as he is only 5' 8" and not a large frame. Going forward he needs to learn to work the count more and get some walks

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I agree. He is a decent backup but not sure I would want him as a starter. He is too small, not sure if adding muscle would help him as he is only 5' 8" and not a large frame. Going forward he needs to learn to work the count more and get some walks
The counter argument is Steven Kwan, and just like the Fulmer/Buehler stuff idk how you can watch those guys on the same team and come away with Madrigal being the better player. Also Kwan hits left handed.

I think there's a place for guys with little power in baseball but you HAVE to bring something else to the table other than singles and Madrigal brings nothing else to the table.

That being said, the entire baseball world other than Keith Law missed on Madrigal, and I was ok with the pick at the time because he was supposed to be able to steal 30 bags and have gap power. And he wasn't Brady Singer. In hindsight, ironically Singer would have been a better pick lol.

I just go off stuff I read to make my opinions and piggy back off those so I'm not pretending to be some expert.

Last edited:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
We aren't talking about Kwan. Who the f*** said anything about Kwan? The discussion is about Madrigal and Leury.
Leury can play every position other than catcher and 1B. Madrigal can't. Madrigal is also always injured. Also, in 2021 Leury had a 1.8 fWAR so.

If Madrigal had the positional versatility that Leury does he'd stick as a utility player.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Cubs are having Madrigal take reps at 3B this year
He doesn’t have the bat for 3B. I’m not interested in the Leury argument, but I agree with kbs in that I see no indication of Madrigal being a useful pro. An empty .280 hitter with no power who can’t run or play defense is nothing.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
He doesn’t have the bat for 3B. I’m not interested in the Leury argument, but I agree with kbs in that I see no indication of Madrigal being a useful pro.
Hes a better hitting version of Mick Kelleher, the roster is not going to have all stars as back ups. He is fine for depth but IMO not a starter

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
He doesn’t have the bat for 3B. I’m not interested in the Leury argument, but I agree with kbs in that I see no indication of Madrigal being a useful pro. An empty .280 hitter with no power who can’t run or play defense is nothing.

Nick Madrigal pick the wrong century to play MLB. No versatility, no power, little defense= going to the KBO or getting into coaching at young age.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Teams like the Magic annoy me.

You guys had a great jersey. You were set for eternity. And instead, you keep trotting out generic garbage instead of just sticking with your black jerseys with white pinstripes. Heck, I'd take your blue jerseys with white pinstripes, too.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
The White Sox have somehow managed to be surpassed by 1/2 the league in terms of pure talent.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Things were looking so promising but between injuries and some players not developing things kind of went backwards. Should have never let Rodon go, Reinsdorf's reluctance to pay starting pitchers kills them

Letting Rodon go was right move at time

He had arm issues flare up again when Sox needed him most and he was major ? going forward and people here were happy that Kopech was going to get his spot in rotation if I recall correctly

And Reinsdorf has paid well to pitchers on multi-year deals in past (Garcia, Buehrle, etc) but he has made it point to not go too year heavy on deals or invest in guys with arm issues which are both reasonable stances

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Things were looking so promising but between injuries and some players not developing things kind of went backwards. Should have never let Rodon go, Reinsdorf's reluctance to pay starting pitchers kills them

The group of talented young hitters was vastly overrated from the start because outside of Robert none of them can do anything other than hit. Sheets, Vaughn, Eloy all one dimensional DHs. And then on top of that we added guys like Eaton and Mazara while other up and coming teams were spending on legit star caliber players. Pathetic front office. Small time organization. Needs to be completely torn down and rebuilt, starting with ownership. Then try and get the farm loaded up once again. Gonna take YEARS.

Reactions: Behn Wilson

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
The group of talented young hitters was vastly overrated from the start because outside of Robert none of them can do anything other than hit. Sheets, Vaughn, Eloy all one dimensional DHs. And then on top of that we added guys like Eaton and Mazara while other up and coming teams were spending on legit star caliber players. Pathetic front office. Small time organization. Needs to be completely torn down and rebuilt, starting with ownership. Then try and get the farm loaded up once again. Gonna take YEARS.
Yep it was a roster made of of 1B/DH throughout the lineup. Worst defensive corner outfielder combo I can recall

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I wouldn't call Sheets/Vaughn DH's

Both can play 1B decently but because of Abreu have been forced into outfield

Vaughn assuming natural 1B position should be good for him now

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Vaughn will move to 1b and be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad