OT: Other Sports 72

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Why do you want to keep him? If they don’t make the playoffs, they are going to regret not getting younger, cheaper players for him.
Why do I want the Cubs to keep a player on a HOF trajectory? The answer is obvious.

The "haul" for Bryant really doesn't seem like it would be all that much based upon rumors.

I want the Cubs to keep and pay their best players.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Why do I want the Cubs to keep a player on a HOF trajectory? The answer is obvious.

The "haul" for Bryant really doesn't seem like it would be all that much based upon rumors.

I want the Cubs to keep and pay their best players.

Right. I’ve already let go of the idea of signing him, but I hope it is still possible.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Gotta think that'd be different if they hadn't thrown out all good will from the outset.

No doubt. They botched things with Bryant. It hurts.

It was a risky, experimental move that teams tried out and pissed off some of the superstars in the game by trying it. Now they are pushing back.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Ultimately the blame falls on the MLBPA for agreeing to it in the first place. I have no problem with clubs doing it, because the players agreed to it, so it's on them.

That said, no one should be surprised if it pisses off superstars who should be in the MLB, and they leave that organization because of it.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
No doubt. They botched things with Bryant. It hurts.

It was a risky, experimental move that teams tried out and pissed off some of the superstars in the game by trying it. Now they are pushing back.
At least the Angels were smart enough to pay Mike Trout.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Ultimately the blame falls on the MLBPA for agreeing to it in the first place. I have no problem with clubs doing it, because the players agreed to it, so it's on them.

That said, no one should be surprised if it pisses off superstars who should be in the MLB, and they leave that organization because of it.
While I think you're technically right, the "good faith" provision in the rules have clearly either been violated or are nothing more than window dressing.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
At least the Angels were smart enough to pay Mike Trout.

Yeah, Bryant is with Boras though. Even if the Cubs wanted to sign him early, it may not have been an option. I don’t blame teams that don’t want to work with him. The Cubs made a difficult situation worse by screwing around with his callup.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Yeah, Bryant is with Boras though. Even if the Cubs wanted to sign him early, it may not have been an option. I don’t blame teams that don’t want to work with him. The Cubs made a difficult situation worse by screwing around with his callup.
He got Strasburg signed to an extension in 2016.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
It's a problem when the Cubs and Red Sox don't want to pay Kris Bryant and Mookie Betts.

Pay those men their money.

Players need more leverage earlier in their careers in modern baseball. In a league that is increasingly weary of paying free agents, players need to have some sort of leverage to get paid their free agent money earlier. I'm for restricted free agency in lieu of arbitration.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
He got Strasburg signed to an extension in 2016.

Right, and a big part of him/them making an exception was the Nats looking out for him when they shut him down a few years earlier when he hit his innings limit.

The call up was the Cubs opportunity to get in their good graces and it seems they pissed it away.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Ah yes, because what the Cubs did was definitely not standard practice at the time.

Honestly, do you even think before you post?

Not the point. People are human and have emotions, and even if other teams would have done the same thing to him, the Cubs are the team that did. Compare it to a romantic relationship. You may not forgive a woman who cheated on you, but that’s not to say that you would necessarily rule out dating a different girl who may have cheated on her old boyfriend.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I don't fault the Cubs for how this was handled. It's not like Boras was going to advice Bryant to take a long term deal that would potentially limit his earning potential before free agency. I also don't think this will change anything. If the Cubs offer the most money he'll stay and if not Boras will get it somewhere else.

It's a dumb system, but the Cubs didn't do anything wrong. If they had brought him up to start the year and he was now on his last year and Boras was insistent on taking him to free agency, I'm sure that many of the people criticizing the Cubs now would be criticizing them for giving up a year of time. I'm not a Cubs fan, so I don't really care, but I don't see how they did anything wrong.

The Cubs trading or resigning him will have noting to do with the few weeks they kept him down. I think it's silly to suggest otherwise.

Also there's this... Not sure who to believe.

Don’t expect any major changes to the relationship between Kris Bryant and the Cubs in the wake of today’s ruling on his service-time grievance action. There’s “no ill will whatsoever” towards the team on Bryant’s part, a source tells Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times.
Kris Bryant Has "No Ill Will" Towards Cubs After Grievance Loss

Last edited:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Not the point. People are human and have emotions, and even if other teams would have done the same thing to him, the Cubs are the team that did. Compare it to a romantic relationship. You may not forgive a woman who cheated on you, but that’s not to say that you would necessarily rule out dating a different girl who may have cheated on her old boyfriend.

Are you suggesting that Bryant would forgo more money from the Cubs if they had the best offer to go somewhere else in 2 years? Are you suggesting Boras would have advised him to take less from the Cubs now had they brought him up on day 1? Because if the answer to both of those is no, what are we even talking about?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Go back to March 2017, who would've thought that this is the spot the Cubs would be in today in 2020. I'm surprised they weren't able to challenge for more World Series wins than they have so far. I'm not a Cubs fan, but my dad and friends are. Feel for you guys. I imagine this is what it would be like if the Hawks only won in 2010 and lost in the 2nd round to Detroit or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad