OT: Other LA Sports: LA Galaxy, Dodgers, Lakers, Clippers, Rams, Chargers, Angels. USC, UCLA etc

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Not LA, but nice showing today for USMNT.

If we beat Iran, and England doesn't lose to Wales, USA will advance.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Easily can make the argument that they were the better team today.
It’s seems for decades when we’d play top elite teams (esp European teams), it was hoping we can stay close. Maybe luck out a tie or one goal loss - while being outshot like 17-1 and rarely possession in the opponents end. An obvious and clear discrepancy in talent and didn’t really belong. Today against England was one of few times they actually looked like they they belonged- maybe even the better team (or more scoring options, corner kicks, etc.). Surprising and pretty cool.

Now just don’t lay an egg Tuesday against Iran.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Where was this Rams defense in the other 7 losses? They kept the chiefs in check with a solid effort, preventing what should've been a major blowout.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
My brother sent me this and it made me laugh, so I thought I would share.

Tom Landry led all NFL coaches in the 1970's in street dollars earned by his hoes.

EIJiudGWwAUu2E0

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I don’t ever want to hear any Padre fans accusing the Dodgers of “trying to buy a championship” when they only have one single star that they developed (Tatis).

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Could you imagine game seven if the Stanley cup... they've played 15 minutes of overtime then... it goes to a shootout to decide the game.

That's basically what I watched on Sunday.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Rick Knickleback

May 18, 2022
Long Beach
Could you imagine game seven if the Stanley cup... they've played 15 minutes of overtime then... it goes to a shootout to decide the game.

That's basically what I watched on Sunday.
The "golden goal" rule was introduced decades ago because too many teams were playing for ties and being overly-conservative in overtime. But a strange thing happened: teams became even more conservative with the golden goal rule. Fewer overtime goals than before.

I think hockey has it right. We play until someone scores a winner. If that was the rule, you'd see teams go aggressive to try to end things quickly. You'd need to be more liberal with subbing rules since 120 minutes of soccer leaves even the best player completely drained.

That said, Sunday's final was the best I've ever seen. In terms of narrative and drama, it's one of the best soccer matches I've ever watched, beyond simply the world cup.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I'd even prefer them to take a player off the field each 10-15 minutes to open the field up for a goal -- versus penalty kicks deciding a game. Sure it's fun and exciting; even more so to people who do not typically watch soccer/futball. But it's no way to decide a championship. Especially a championship for the globe that is played once every four years.

Reactions: psych3man

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
The "golden goal" rule was introduced decades ago because too many teams were playing for ties and being overly-conservative in overtime. But a strange thing happened: teams became even more conservative with the golden goal rule. Fewer overtime goals than before.

I think hockey has it right. We play until someone scores a winner. If that was the rule, you'd see teams go aggressive to try to end things quickly. You'd need to be more liberal with subbing rules since 120 minutes of soccer leaves even the best player completely drained.

That said, Sunday's final was the best I've ever seen. In terms of narrative and drama, it's one of the best soccer matches I've ever watched, beyond simply the world cup.
Yep. Let them sub away, take players off the field, anything to get a a sudden death goal.

What i watched on Sunday was everything you said... and then they had penalty shot tournament. Could you imagine deciding the super bowl with guys throwing footballs through tires?

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I don’t know about you guys but I think Mayfield might have a future with the Rams. If McVay can turn Goff into an all-pro QB, why not Mayfield? Just need a reliable O-Line and a competent RB.

Reactions: yankeeking

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
If Hollywood had the room I bet the Chargers would have built their practice facility/HQ there. They probably would have loved being close to Paramount Studios given that Paramount Global-owned KCBS-TV is their TV partner for preseason games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad