OT: Other LA Sports: Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Clippers, Rams, USC, UCLA, Fantasy, MMA etc #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
For you guys that are English soccer fans, I recommend Sunderland 'Til I Die on Netflix.

For you guys that like to watch cute young ladies get thrown up in the air and land on their heads, I recommend CHEER on Netflix.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Tua has had more injuries than previously known.

Armando Salguero: Former NFL exec unloads on Tua: Uncovers previously unreported injury, failed physical

Here are the previously reported and undisputed injuries, according to Forbes:
— Broken left index finger (March 2018; no games missed)
— Sprained right knee (October 2018; no games missed)
— Left high ankle sprain (December 2018; surgery; no games missed)
— Right high ankle sprain (October 2019; surgery; 1 game missed)
— Dislocated right hip with posterior acetabular wall fracture (November 2019; surgery; missed final 3.5 games)

“That’s got to get around that at least one team failed the physical on Tua others have to be concerned now as well.,” Lombardi said on his GM Shuffle podcast. “What they saw … is they saw the fact it’s not just his hip. It’s his ankle. It’s his wrist.

“He broke his wrist the first day of spring ball one year. And then they fixed it, he came back, and he broke it again.”

A wrist broken twice would be new information on the Tagovailoa injury history.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2005
CA
It's funny how Trout was the first to shoot down the AZ idea, now MLB is going to ask for paycuts. So for those of you wanting sports back now-enter the lawyers!

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
It's funny how Trout was the first to shoot down the AZ idea, now MLB is going to ask for paycuts. So for those of you wanting sports back now-enter the lawyers!

Paycuts were a given, they weren't getting their full salaries if they only played lets say ~120 games, add to that no gate, which makes up 30% of MLB revenues (as of 2017) and you go from a $10B/year industry to between 5 and 6.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Paycuts were a given, they weren't getting their full salaries if they only played lets say ~120 games, add to that no gate, which makes up 30% of MLB revenues (as of 2017) and you go from a $10B/year industry to between 5 and 6.

Should the general public expect pay cuts when they go back to work? I don't think that's going to go over well and the lawsuits will fly. If my employer cuts my pay when times get tough then I expect a raise when things are going well. I'm not their business partner though. And if I play for a team like the Dodgers and they cut my pay then I'm not playing. These teams make money on much more than ticket sales, don't try to take money out of my pocket. This is going to get ugly, all the player unions fighting the NHL, the NBA and MLB.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Should the general public expect pay cuts when they go back to work? I don't think that's going to go over well and the lawsuits will fly. If my employer cuts my pay when times get tough then I expect a raise when things are going well. I'm not their business partner though. And if I play for a team like the Dodgers and they cut my pay then I'm not playing. These teams make money on much more than ticket sales, don't try to take money out of my pocket. This is going to get ugly, all the player unions fighting the NHL, the NBA and MLB.

Lots of people had their pay cut temporarily who aren't making millions, my dad works for AEG had to take a 20% pay cut because their are no games being played at Staples Center right now. (building engineer)

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
No Play = No Pay

Players should be furloughed and brought back when business can resume. That is how it is working out for millions of Americans. The players can file for unemployment!

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Are you saying the players are partners with the owners in the business?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I know you lime to follow me around and dissect my posts as though I'm hiding meanings behind what I type. I'm saying exactly what you quoted! That's it. Are we clear?
I am not sure why you are under the illusion anyone here is "following you around". I interact with many posters, and you are not "special". I hope that is crystal clear.

It seems you are advocating MLB players be paid their full salaries whether or not they play zero games, a partial season, or a partial season with empty stadiums. That would be impossible for the owners. If the players insisted on it, the owners may as well cancel the season and furlough all of the players until the 2021 season.

Last edited:

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

The small community bank I worked at in 2009 had everyone over $50k a year take a 10% pay cut since we had so many loans go bad and were losing a ton of money. That was cool for me since my salary was just a shade over $50k.

Now, I didn't have a contract but C-Suite people did. Not sure the language of the pro sports contracts but your argument over getting a raise when times are good is, well...yes. If your current employer does well and they don't pass the rewards on down, then it is time to jump to someone who will compensate accordingly. You definitely should expect a raise if things are going well and you are a key part of it.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
This has never happened in pro sports before. My opinion is no professional athlete in the 4 major sports will be OK with taking a pay cut. If I'm Drew Doughty I know what the Kings are worth, they aren't worth 20% less than they were before covid. I've lost my share of game checks already AND I have a contract. There may be language in their contracts in case something like this happens who knows.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I was a contractor for Fed Ex for about 5 years, I sued them twice and won so I know a TINY bit about contracts but if they were to come to me and ask me a for a pay cut I would have sued them. again. I signed a contract that said what I was going to get paid for what I did. If there was no work for 3 months I would have gotten paid less but in the contract they guaranteed work.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I think I certainly makes sense that they don’t get paid if they’re not playing, but once they come back? Feels they should start getting their regular checks again. Hard to feel bad if the owners have to take a hit for a season to get their billion dollar empires “back on their feet”

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Both the Angels and Dodgers play in stadiums that were built in the 1960s.

Starting in 2020, every other LA team will be playing in a venue that is no older than 27 years old.

The Clippers are also exploring a new arena.

With so many newer venues in LA, the baseball teams should seriously consider building new stadiums to keep up with the Joneses. Renovations can only keep a stadium viable for so long.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Both the Angels and Dodgers play in stadiums that were built in the 1960s.

Starting in 2020, every other LA team will be playing in a venue that is no older than 27 years old.

The Clippers are also exploring a new arena.

With so many newer venues in LA, the baseball teams should seriously consider building new stadiums to keep up with the Joneses. Renovations can only keep a stadium viable for so long.

Dodgers stadium is undergoing a major renovation (they were suppose to host the ASG), I doubt they are anywhere anytime soon.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
What about Staples Center? It's already 20 years old. And you know how arenas generally have short lifespans.

Given how much AEG has invested in LA Live, I'm guessing Staples will be around for a while.

Interestingly enough, Honda Center is the 4th oldest arena (93), Staples was built in 99, and 16 other teams play in arenas that were built between the two. So 18 in a 7 year span; all those arenas are going to get "old" at the same time.

Reactions: KopitarFAN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille