OT: Other LA Sports: Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Clippers, Rams, USC, UCLA, Fantasy, MMA etc #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Arena advancements came a long way in the 5-10 years from when the Pond and SJ Arena were built to when Staples was built. I think the difference between SJ Arena (built 1993) and Staples (built 1999) is greater than the difference between Staples and Little Caesars (built 2017).

Similar thing happened in the NFL with the Atlanta Falcons, they left Fulton County Stadium to move into the GA Dome in the early 90's. Shortly after those types of domed stadiums were phased out in favor of what you see in Detroit, Houston, Indianapolis etc. The Falcons are the only sports team to have three different permanent homes in the last 30 years without ever relocating from their city.

Last edited:
Reactions: kingsholygrail

kingsholygrail

Almost there.. 38-22-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I wonder how old the Rose Bowl will have to get before they finally tear it down and rebuild it. I'm not necessarily in a hurry for it, but it's gonna have to happen eventually.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Shocking news from the NFL draft...Joe Burrow goes to the Bengals as the #1 overall pick.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
How many football stadiums does SoCal need?
Honestly, I think they could tear down The Coliseum and no one would care. I attended a Rams game against the Eagles last season and it truly is a dump. Don't get me wrong the history of it is kind of cool, but at this point tearing it down is probably the correct choice.

Another stadium, while clean and on campus, which I thought needs major renovation is Notre Dame's football stadium in South Bend. It is extremely outdated and the 6-inch wide benches they give you to sit on that they say pass for bleachers are ridiculous.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The Rose Bowl is what it is, it's an iconic venue that is totally fine for hosting the Rose Bowl Game every year. No one in the Big Ten or Pac-12 wants anything different (atleast that I know)

Still think it's bizarre that UCLA plays at a stadium so far from campus. Couldn't they build a smaller stadium similar to Ryan Field in Westwood? Not like UCLA Football is coming close to filling the Rose Bowl.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The Rose Bowl is what it is, it's an iconic venue that is totally fine for hosting the Rose Bowl Game every year. No one in the Big Ten or Pac-12 wants anything different (atleast that I know)

Still think it's bizarre that UCLA plays at a stadium so far from campus. Couldn't they build a smaller stadium similar to Ryan Field in Westwood? Not like UCLA Football is coming close to filling the Rose Bowl.
Not much appetite with the public to fund a new stadium for a UC school. Taxes are already too high, and that's how bonds get paid.

The Rams/Chargers new stadium is for the most part privately funded.

LA Rams stadium cost balloons to $4.25b

What the L.A. Rams Deal Says About Cities Building Stadiums

Some public financing by the City of Inglewood (not sure where they think they will get the tax revenue) for roads, utilities and parks, and an annual bill for some stadium services.

...development plan for the sports complex build “includes two paragraphs of how Inglewood would eventually reimburse the project for the costs of roadwork, utility work and public parks on the nearly 300-acre site … [estimated at $60 million]. The city would also reimburse costs of security, medical services and shuttles to off-site parking during stadium events … at about $8 million a year.”

The NFL has annual revenue of roughly $25 billion. Let them finance a new stadium for a single team each year. That way each team gets a new stadium every 32 years.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
With the current economic climate I can see a ton of empty seats at Chargers games for a long time. LA doesn't support a loser. With the current cost of NFL games and the parking fees and dealing with drunk, obnoxious fans and sitting in the sun it's a hard pass for me. I enjoy watching the Red Zone Channel all day Sunday.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
With the current economic climate I can see a ton of empty seats at Chargers games for a long time. LA doesn't support a loser. With the current cost of NFL games and the parking fees and dealing with drunk, obnoxious fans and sitting in the sun it's a hard pass for me. I enjoy watching the Red Zone Channel all day Sunday.

Another team that should have moved to Orange County and built their own identity. The Angels and Ducks do just fine in that market. No idea why the Clippers and Chargers want to be in a market where no one gives a crap.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Another team that should have moved to Orange County and built their own identity. The Angels and Ducks do just fine in that market. No idea why the Clippers and Chargers want to be in a market where no one gives a crap.

Even under Donald Sterling the Clippers did fine because transplants wanted to see the other teams, or general NBA fans wanted to see great players without paying the Lakers premium. And now, i'll say it for the billionth time, why would Steve Ballmer buy a team for $2B and move it to say Seattle where it's worth half? Basic asset management.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Just 1 good one. And we're FINALLY getting that one.

But there are still 2 dumps in town. oh well...

I don't think they could get away with hosting 4 teams, even if 2 play on saturday, their would be constant issues with signage agreements. For example, the Jets/Giants use the NFL shield, the Rams/Chargers will probably do the same (that's fine), now think about adding 2 college teams to that, remember how horrible the Coliseum looked on sunday after being repainted from saturday?

This doesn't even get into all of the revenue issues that go into sharing a building/venue.

kingsholygrail

Almost there.. 38-22-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I remember one of the original proposals of a new stadium was to tear the Coliseum down and only keep the Olympic facade when they rebuilt it. It looked really cool. I'd still like to see something like that for the Coliseum's future.

Reactions: KINGS17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->