Other Domestic Leagues 2019/20

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
But then how did this bizarre system came to be?

Two reasons;

First because at that time (around 10 years ago) Belgian teams weren't doing very well in Europe and it was thought that top teams playing more matches against eachother in a playoff system, instead of playing smaller clubs, would benefit the level of the league and give us more success in Europe. Which hasn't really happened. Actually, my own team (Club Brugge) reached the QF of the Europa League a few years ago, they also started the playoffs in 1st place but the rapid succession of games (playoffs during weekends and Europa in midweek) in March and April led to players getting injured, which led to some crucial losses, which led to them losing the title.

Second, it was also thought it would help the league financially, getting better TV deals etc. And yeah, the money has gone up, but IMO it would have gone up either way because competition between TV channels or media companies would have driven prices up no matter what. That happens everywhere.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Good points. Do you think the proposed league with the top Eredivisie clubs will happen?

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Who knows really, we've got a huge distance to cover before a BeNe League would happen. They're doing a bunch of studies now to get a clear picture of how it would make sense both on the pitch, and financially.
In the end you'd need to get every team in both countries on the same page, and like I said it's already impossible when dealing with Belgian teams alone.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
@Ajacied Feynoord have lost 1 game since the new hire starting from October their game against Ajax. I guess Stam was the problem.

Senesi has locked the position down what do you think of him?

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Looks like Belgian clubs could be hit hard by this corona crisis. Teams who were already struggling every year could now completely collapse.

There are 24 pro teams in Belgian football, 16 play in Division 1A (top div.) and 8 play in Division 1B (2nd div.). However 7 of those teams were denied a license to play pro football next season, including Standard Liege :eek: which is pretty shocking. Or maybe not because they have taken some financial risks over the past few years, they have been the subject of several police searches, they've been rumoured to be involved in shady deals, they also have failed to pay signing bonusses to players and sell-on fees to other clubs..etc. They will obviously appeal the decision and in the end they'll probably get that license anyway because they're a big club. However the other 6 teams won't be so lucky IMO, they're mostly smaller teams who've been struggling for years. If you don't get a license you're relegated to the amateur leagues.
So that would basically leave only 18 pro teams for next season, which would probably completely eliminate the current 2nd division and leave only one pro division with 18 clubs and, hopefully, no playoffs. Not sure if there will be any promotion/relegation rules in place because there is such a huge gap between pro and amateur football. Even at this very moment, there are clubs who win their amateur league and just don't apply for a pro license because that would instantly bankrupt them (player wages, facilities upgrades..)

I think all this stuff only increases the likelihood of transitioning to a BeNe League in the very near future.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Yeah, pretty sad if you ask me. Fellaini will loan them like €3m or something.

In another WTF news report today Belgian media said the City Football Group has bought second division team SK Lommel :huh: They were one of the teams who were denied a pro license for next season. It's a very small club, located in a small town in the eastern part of Belgium, right near the border with the Netherlands. It's a about halfway in between Genk and Eindhoven, literally in the middle of nowhere. You look at the CFG portfolio and they own clubs in Manchester, Mumbai, Melbourne, New York, Montevideo.. I don't get it.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Got a new friend to keep me company while under lockdown:
Screenshot_2020-05-13-23-54-37.png

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
@Savi I saw a headline that Borges was going, which I'm assuming means OH Leuven got promoted. How did the Dutch decide on the pro/rel system this season? Just curious what's going on over there.

Reactions: sabremike

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
@Savi I saw a headline that Borges was going, which I'm assuming means OH Leuven got promoted. How did the Dutch decide on the pro/rel system this season? Just curious what's going on over there.

They didn't get promoted (yet).

All clubs had to cast their vote yesterday at the general assembly on how the season should end. Club Brugge were declared champions, Waasland-Beveren (the last placed team) will be relegated, and next season we will have a 16-team first division but with a shortened postseason, meaning there will be a 4-team Championship playoff, instead of the 6-team playoff we have now.

Regarding promotion, the return leg of the playoff promotion final has yet to be played. Beerschot won the first leg 1-0 over OH Leuven, however Leuven hosts the return leg, well they should but the mayor of Leuven doesn't want it to be played even without fans. Now, and bear with me for a moment :D, Beerschot and Leuven qualified for the promotion final because Beerschot won Phase 1 of the regular season, and Leuven won Phase 2. However, another team (Westerlo) accumulated the most overall points when you combine both Phase 1 and 2 of the league season, and the FA has stated that when a solution for the promotion final isn't reached, Westerlo will get promoted instead of either Beerschot or OH Leuven. :laugh: So.. to be continued!

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Regarding promotion, the return leg of the playoff promotion final has yet to be played. Beerschot won the first leg 1-0 over OH Leuven, however Leuven hosts the return leg, well they should but the mayor of Leuven doesn't want it to be played even without fans. Now, and bear with me for a moment :D, Beerschot and Leuven qualified for the promotion final because Beerschot won Phase 1 of the regular season, and Leuven won Phase 2. However, another team (Westerlo) accumulated the most overall points when you combine both Phase 1 and 2 of the league season, and the FA has stated that when a solution for the promotion final isn't reached, Westerlo will get promoted instead of either Beerschot or OH Leuven. :laugh: So.. to be continued!

Jeeze that seems like a mess of a decision to have to make. Well, thanks for the update, I'l definitely be looking for more come the time.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Celtic league champions. 9th league title in a row. All clubs voted to end season and approve league table based on win percentage. Celtic were 13 clear at the top of the table with 8 games to play. Rangers had 9 matches to play.

Reactions: sabremike

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad