Other Domestic Leagues 2019/20

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
KV Mechelen have today been found guilty of (attempted) match fixing.

- They were in the 2nd division this year, which they won. However their promotion to the 1st division will be cancelled.
- So, next season they'll still be in D2 where they will start on -12 points.
- They have been banned from playing in the Belgian Cup next year (they won the Cup this season)
- They have been banned from playing in Europe next year. AA Gent, 5th placed team in the League, will take their place.
- Mechelen's sporting director, financial director, their former chairman and their majority shareholder have all been suspended for 10 years

Beerschot (club based in Antwerp) will now be promoted to the 1st division instead of Mechelen. One of the oldest clubs of Belgium who have been plagued by a lot of financial trouble in the past 10-15 years including being sent down all the way back to the amateur leagues, having to play their back up the now, finally, 1st division again.
This also means that for the first time in almost 20 years, both big traditional Antwerp clubs (Beerschot and FC Antwerp) are back in the top league where they belong and we'll have a renewal of this great rivalry.

Also.. Mechelen will almost certainly appeal the decision so this is all temporary of course.

So, Mechelen did appeal, and today the Belgian Court of Arbitration overturned the decision to cancel Mechelen's promotion to the 1st division. It was overturned based on some vague rule which stated that the complaint against Mechelen wasn't filed in time :facepalm:

To be clear: this doesn't mean Mechelen won't still be found guilty for matchfixing. It just means that even if they are guilty (and it seems pretty clear they are) they won't be punished by being relegated. So when the Belgian League season starts on July 27, Mechelen will be in 1st division, and Beerschot (who would have taken their place) will stay in the 2nd division.
The arbitrage court will probably still punish them through fines, Cup ban, European ban or whatever though.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
In Sweden, Malmö once again is on the way to win the league. that would be the 5th time in 7 years. pure domination. Malmö qualifed to euro league 2011,2018 and to cl 2014,2015...so MFF showed they can manage in Europe aswell. I would say the team MFF has this season is the best they had in a long time, so reaching Europa League group stage should be a very high possiblity once again.

Its too bad Zlatan is wasting time in MLS when he could play for MFF, which is his home town team.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
In Sweden, Malmö once again is on the way to win the league. that would be the 5th time in 7 years. pure domination. Malmö qualifed to euro league 2011,2018 and to cl 2014,2015...so MFF showed they can manage in Europe aswell. I would say the team MFF has this season is the best they had in a long time, so reaching Europa League group stage should be a very high possiblity once again.

Its too bad Zlatan is wasting time in MLS when he could play for MFF, which is his home town team.
LA vs. Malmo.

Yea I don't think its a hard choice for Zlatan. Not everyone wants to go back home.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
So, Mechelen did appeal, and today the Belgian Court of Arbitration overturned the decision to cancel Mechelen's promotion to the 1st division. It was overturned based on some vague rule which stated that the complaint against Mechelen wasn't filed in time :facepalm:

To be clear: this doesn't mean Mechelen won't still be found guilty for matchfixing. It just means that even if they are guilty (and it seems pretty clear they are) they won't be punished by being relegated. So when the Belgian League season starts on July 27, Mechelen will be in 1st division, and Beerschot (who would have taken their place) will stay in the 2nd division.
The arbitrage court will probably still punish them through fines, Cup ban, European ban or whatever though.

Today the arbitrage court concluded that Mechelen will only be punished by being handed a 1 year Cup and European ban :laugh: no fines, no points deduction,..

Well this sends an excellent message. Basically you can now bribe and fix your way up and you'll only be punished by not being allowed to play in the Cup for a year. Great job :facepalm:

Also; saw this on reddit

21kwdw4.jpg

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Ajax beat PSV 2-0 in the Supercup. Both teams not in their strongest line up though.

Meh game. Daley Blind was once again a stand out, this time at midfield. I also have watched Martinez for a few games now and I can't grasp how bigger teams have slept on him. Guy is a bull dog, but very capable with the ball as well. I like him better than Davinson Sanchez, even though it's only a been a small time frame.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Today the arbitrage court concluded that Mechelen will only be punished by being handed a 1 year Cup and European ban :laugh: no fines, no points deduction,..

Well this sends an excellent message. Basically you can now bribe and fix your way up and you'll only be punished by not being allowed to play in the Cup for a year. Great job :facepalm:

Also; saw this on reddit

21kwdw4.jpg
I would love that. I think it would be better for all parties.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Meh game. Daley Blind was once again a stand out, this time at midfield. I also have watched Martinez for a few games now and I can't grasp how bigger teams have slept on him. Guy is a bull dog, but very capable with the ball as well. I like him better than Davinson Sanchez, even though it's only a been a small time frame.

How has Marin been doing so far?

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
First game for player/manager Kompany at Anderlecht today as they start the league at home with an "easy" game against Oostende. It's pretty impossible to predict anything at this point as Kompany has used 50(!) players in preseason :laugh:
One thing that seems to be clear so far is many veterans are cast aside and expected to be sold in the upcoming weeks. Not that surprising as most of those veterans were asked to lead the team last year and failed miserably. Also a lot of them are on big contracts which Anderlecht want to get rid of asap.

The starting line up for today's game looks extremely young though with youth players Francis Amuzu (19), Yari Verschaeren (18), Hotman El Kababri (19), Jeremy Doku (17), Sebastien Bornauw (20) all starting the game, other young Belgians Pieter Gerkens (23) and Elias Cobbaut (21) and new signing Michel Vlap (22) from Heerenveen will play as well. Kompany is actually the only player over 26 y.o. in the line up.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
How has Marin been doing so far?

He's more feisty than I expected. His two way game for a player his size is remarkable, but he hasn't been able to impress offensively just yet. Competition is stiff and he hasn't separated himself from the pack so far, so things will be interesting, especially if van de Beek and Ziyech stay.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
First game for player/manager Kompany at Anderlecht today as they start the league at home with an "easy" game against Oostende. It's pretty impossible to predict anything at this point as Kompany has used 50(!) players in preseason :laugh:
One thing that seems to be clear so far is many veterans are cast aside and expected to be sold in the upcoming weeks. Not that surprising as most of those veterans were asked to lead the team last year and failed miserably. Also a lot of them are on big contracts which Anderlecht want to get rid of asap.

The starting line up for today's game looks extremely young though with youth players Francis Amuzu (19), Yari Verschaeren (18), Hotman El Kababri (19), Jeremy Doku (17), Sebastien Bornauw (20) all starting the game, other young Belgians Pieter Gerkens (23) and Elias Cobbaut (21) and new signing Michel Vlap (22) from Heerenveen will play as well. Kompany is actually the only player over 26 y.o. in the line up.

I love Vlap. Such an elegant scorer. Not always very present or effective on the field, often even being very nonchalant, but he can change games singlehandedly out of of nowhere with the most beautiful touches - Bergkamp esque. Will be following Anderlecht more closely this season. They have an interesting side. I especially like Doku after having seen him live during prestige youth tournaments at De Toekomst, Ajax.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I love Vlap. Such an elegant scorer. Not always very present or effective on the field, often even being very nonchalant, but he can change games singlehandedly out of of nowhere with the most beautiful touches - Bergkamp esque.

12 minutes in he already scored, and I see what you mean :D

edit: scores again two minutes later but VAR takes it away.. was a beautiful move again tho

Reactions: Ajacied

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
12 minutes in he already scored, and I see what you mean :D

Haha yeah saw that. Sweet touch once again. I'm sure he'll quickly be a fan favorite (but also frustrate you at times) :)

Heh, just scored again. Set him up himself and once again a very sweet finish. EDIT: VAR.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Yeah he was bought by Man City last season and Hajduk were hoping to keep him on loan until 2020 but he went to Oostende this summer. Certainly a good prospect but who knows if he has a future with Man City. Another former Hajduk player is on Oostende, Goran Milovic, though he has no NT hopes due to his age

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
El Kababri was terrible at right back and was yanked in the 2nd half. Even if Anderlecht have to get rid of the veteran contracts due to financial reasons, going out all youth, they might not even make the top 6.

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad

Now they are tied with AIK and soon passed by Djurgården.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Now they are tied with AIK and soon passed by Djurgården.

i still think we are going to win the gold, we got the best squad and the best coach. but if we dont win, i hope Djurgården takes it, AIK is extremely boring to watch, Djurgården have a good passing game.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He’s a gem... Ascacibar is asking the same thing to be honest. He was used as a CB last game? Can he take that role over?

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
He’s a gem... Ascacibar is asking the same thing to be honest. He was used as a CB last game? Can he take that role over?

Not sure. Competition is so stiff right now, but I want him to play. His biggest chance might be at DM. Otherwise he'll likely be LB and CB's first backup option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad