OT: Other Colorado Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What’d Elway say?

Broncos John Elway shares blame for start, calls defense 'soft'

VJ basically knows he's fighting for his job and Elway said the team was fighting for its life this week. If they can't even beat the lowly Cardinals I think everyone knows it's throw-in-the-towel-and-tank-it time. And it is, even if they manage to eke out a win on Thursday, but we won't see any changes take place then. It just also sets up the perfect time for a coaching change with the long week and gearing up for the slaughter...er...big game in Arrowhead.

I don't like that Elway called the team "soft" again, the last time he said that it just gave me the feeling he had no idea what was making the team so bad, and I feel the same way now.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Broncos John Elway shares blame for start, calls defense 'soft'

VJ basically knows he's fighting for his job and Elway said the team was fighting for its life this week. If they can't even beat the lowly Cardinals I think everyone knows it's throw-in-the-towel-and-tank-it time. And it is, even if they manage to eke out a win on Thursday, but we won't see any changes take place then. It just also sets up the perfect time for a coaching change with the long week and gearing up for the slaughter...er...big game in Arrowhead.

I don't like that Elway called the team "soft" again, the last time he said that it just gave me the feeling he had no idea what was making the team so bad, and I feel the same way now.

Leary out for the season - was that confirmed?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If they lose to the Cardinals this Thursday, you might as well see what you have in Chad Kelly the rest of the season.

Yeah, it's a ton of money to be leaving on the bench in Keenum but the dude is trash.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I feel like the Case problem is twofold. I mean, I have to wonder if any analysis was done whatsoever to figure out why a journeyman QB had such a stellar season, because Minnesota was kind of the perfect setup for him, whereas Denver is most obviously not. And my point is not that Case is a great QB or anything (he's clearly not) but that the Broncos just sorta picked him from a short list of available guys and didn't really do a lot of research beforehand.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I feel like the Case problem is twofold. I mean, I have to wonder if any analysis was done whatsoever to figure out why a journeyman QB had such a stellar season, because Minnesota was kind of the perfect setup for him, whereas Denver is most obviously not. And my point is not that Case is a great QB or anything (he's clearly not) but that the Broncos just sorta picked him from a short list of available guys and didn't really do a lot of research beforehand.

I think they panicked after they realized that the weren’t getting Cousins and picked the starting QB for the team that got to the conference finals without doing a ton of scouting on him.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Clearly, very little in the way of scouting was done on Keenum. Prior to his Vikings season, he had a 24:20 TD:INT ratio, never completed more than 60% of his passes in any season, and only had a QB rating above 80.0 once.

You don't look at that guy having one miracle season and give him starting QB money for a few years. That's just poor decision making. If that's your fallback option when you lose out on Cousins, you opt for the 1-year plug-and-play QB instead and look forward to the next draft.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Clearly, very little in the way of scouting was done on Keenum. Prior to his Vikings season, he had a 24:20 TD:INT ratio, never completed more than 60% of his passes in any season, and only had a QB rating above 80.0 once.

You don't look at that guy having one miracle season and give him starting QB money for a few years. That's just poor decision making. If that's your fallback option when you lose out on Cousins, you opt for the 1-year plug-and-play QB instead and look forward to the next draft.

They shoulda gone the rookie QB route. At least that makes some sense long term. Hey we see *insert QB here* as our QB of the future. You’re not fooling anyone into thinking Keenum is the QB of the future. Or at least no one with any semblance of talent evaluation.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Clearly, very little in the way of scouting was done on Keenum.

I get that people hate Keenum - I do too right now. But this is wildly inaccurate. Gary Kubiak is now a huge part of player personnel and was responsible for bringing Keenum into the league as an UDFA with the Texans. I’d argue that Kubiak knows Case Keenum better than anyone in the NFL.

What should be more disturbing is that they DID have a lot of scouting on him and still made the move and it’s turned out like this.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I get that people hate Keenum - I do too right now. But this is wildly inaccurate. Gary Kubiak is now a huge part of player personnel and was responsible for bringing Keenum into the league as an UDFA with the Texans. I’d argue that Kubiak knows Case Keenum better than anyone in the NFL.

What should be more disturbing is that they DID have a lot of scouting on him and still made the move and it’s turned out like this.

Well if that's the case then I'm even more befuddled. They knew what they had to do and still didn't build a gameplan around him. Given that this is pretty much the worst coaching staff the franchise has ever had (and I'd argue worst in the league currently--yes, worse than Cleveland) that wouldn't surprise me.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I agree with ya Poke - it’s bad

I just wonder what will happen at some point when the front office has to take responsibility for the product on the field. It feels like they are insulated from things somehow. Who is gonna be the fall guy? I guess Elway might make Kubiak fall on the sword at some point but honestly the problems seem much deeper than that. VJ is just scratching the surface.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I agree with ya Poke - it’s bad

I just wonder what will happen at some point when the front office has to take responsibility for the product on the field. It feels like they are insulated from things somehow. Who is gonna be the fall guy? I guess Elway might make Kubiak fall on the sword at some point but honestly the problems seem much deeper than that. VJ is just scratching the surface.

Well, that's where the whole no ownership/Joe Ellis in charge thing is the biggest issue. I don't see Ellis firing Elway, not ever. And I think things downstream have gone sideways as well, in the areas we can't even see. Ellis more or less wrecked this organization's culture when he brought in McDouchebag, and I don't think it every truly recovered, even in the wake of winning a Super Bowl the Broncos were a deeply flawed team and organization. What started as cracks in the firmament have become a wide chasm.

Part of me doesn't want to see Elway fired--that'd be a horrid way for things to end with the organization he put on the map. I hope he either resigns or he gets bumped upstairs to some "president" position.

Until Ellis is gone entirely and they put a real owner in charge (seriously, just pick one of the Bowlen daughters and be done with it) this ship won't get righted.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Ellis won’t fire himself, and Ellis won’t fire Elway.

Elway won’t fire Matt Russell, despite the Elway/Russell tandem being the common denominator to the horrible drafts.

Kubiak is bumped up to player personnel, and all of a sudden the draft is better. Keenum is a huge mess but the draft improved.

I like retaining Kubiak - he seems to actually have a feel for finding talent. I’m afraid though that Elway is so enchanted with Russell that Kubiak will be the only front office change if there is one to be made.

Reactions: Pokecheque

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
The GOAT got that win for the Packers, all hail Mason Crosby.

Oh and that Rodgers guy is decent.

I stayed up and watched that whole f***ing game because I had Jimmy Graham and needed 22 points to win my game. He got 15.........

Great game, though

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Ellis won’t fire himself, and Ellis won’t fire Elway.

Elway won’t fire Matt Russell, despite the Elway/Russell tandem being the common denominator to the horrible drafts.

Kubiak is bumped up to player personnel, and all of a sudden the draft is better. Keenum is a huge mess but the draft improved.

I like retaining Kubiak - he seems to actually have a feel for finding talent. I’m afraid though that Elway is so enchanted with Russell that Kubiak will be the only front office change if there is one to be made.

The team won one SB and was in another SB - both in the past 5 years, both under that leadership. They’re not going anywhere.

They’ve got to do something about the talent they’re fielding though. Highly drafted players are simply turning out to be average or total duds too many times. Bolles is looking more and more like one in a long list.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Lost by 10, getting a garbage time TD doesn't count.

Still gave up over 200 yards rushing. Still had mediocre QB play, still had tons of bad penalties, including a completely boneheaded taunting penalty that cost us 4 pts, act like you've scored a TD before, still got completely out coached.

The result might have been closer than the Jets game (probably due to the weather and it being a home game) but in reality it was the same old crap that we've seen consistently under VJ and company.

But that celebration would seem to suggest otherwise... :sarcasm:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I've got the feeling Ellis is trying to pull the Interim-President-for-Life position and nothing will happen until the trust settles.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I've got the feeling Ellis is trying to pull the Interim-President-for-Life position and nothing will happen until the trust settles.

Oh you don't have to "feel" that, that's exactly what's happening. No one is in a position to oust him because no one is in a position of authority because the trust can't decide, and Ellis is quite obviously manipulating them to his own ends.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I’m gonna be a homer and go with pre-dui/getting kicked off the broncos Prater. That dude dragged Tebow into the playoffs

He was good. Still not as good as Tucker. That guy is automatic from anywhere; I think he actually holds the record for the best FG% of all time if I’m not mistaken.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
He was good. Still not as good as Tucker. That guy is automatic from anywhere; I think he actually holds the record for the best FG% of all time if I’m not mistaken.

Ya I still refuse to recognize/acknowledge any ravens players after the playoff snaffoo against them when rahim Moore got torched at the end of regulation when the game was basically over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad