OT: Other Colorado Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies...II

Status
Not open for further replies.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Well the AAF looks to be dead already. The product on the field was pretty boring. They were also trying to market themselves as a minor league to the NFL and failed terribly. The no kickoffs pretty much killed it for me right off the bat. Most of these guys would be fringe/special teams players and they couldn't even showcase for that aspect of the big league. I feel like people that love the kickoff (Like me) are a dying breed.:(

Maybe the XFL will get it right this time. Almost assuredly not, but one can dream.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Rockies extended their best pitcher to an extremely team friendly deal.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well the AAF looks to be dead already. The product on the field was pretty boring. They were also trying to market themselves as a minor league to the NFL and failed terribly. The no kickoffs pretty much killed it for me right off the bat. Most of these guys would be fringe/special teams players and they couldn't even showcase for that aspect of the big league. I feel like people that love the kickoff (Like me) are a dying breed.:(

Maybe the XFL will get it right this time. Almost assuredly not, but one can dream.

I for one do NOT need more f***ing football. The incessant overanalysis and blather over the NFL that stretches well over the season is enough for me. That's why I think the time has passed for football in America to really have a viable "spring league." The USFL was reasonably successful before Donald Trump singlehandedly ruined it, but that was 30 years ago. The NFL is too big, bloated, and omnipresent for there to be any sort of additional league.

The XFL will fail as badly last time as they did the first time. Somehow they managed to infuse football with WWE-style theatrics and stripper cheerleaders and it was still one of the most boring things I've ever seen on television. Their lasting legacy is Rod "He Hate Me" Smart and some of the camerawork they pioneered made its way into NFL broadcasts.

The AAF was a fool's errand. To try and convince the NFL that it could use a "feeder" league by trying to run an independent league of castoffs for (they estimated) three years even though the NFLPA didn't appear to be on-board at all and the CBA having no provisions to allow it just seems ridiculous. And then they grossly miscalculated the costs to boot.

I would've been completely for the AAF if it had set itself up as a viable alternative to player development to the NCAA. Man, that would've freaked out some really old, really rich, really fat white guys though. :laugh: The average length of a football player's career just doesn't warrant the idea of creation of some kind of "tweener" league between college and the pros.

Isn't there yet another off-season league being cooked up? I just wish these would go away entirely. Even arena football appears to be on life support.

Reactions: sethro109

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
CFL >>>>>> all other alternative football leagues, always

I also like the AFL, but they've only got 6 teams left and none near here.

But both for the same reason, which is that they're not just playing the NFL game with worse players. That's what the AAF was (minus kickoffs and extra points), that's what the XFL 1.0 was, that's what the XFL 2.0 will be.

The CFL and AFL games are different enough to be considered the top of their own respective versions of the sport rather than just a minor league NFL wannabe.

Reactions: Pokecheque

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
The Denver Outlaws just had a drastic change to their schedule because 3 MLL teams (of 9) folded on Monday. Crazy.

Now they have a bunch of crappy Thursday night and Sunday afternoon games.

At least the indoor league is doing well. Mammoth heading into the playoffs. Successfully launched expansion teams in Philly and San Diego this year, getting to 13 teams next year with New York and Halifax.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
There are about to be 3 Pepsi Center teams in the playoffs at the same time. Avs, Nuggets, Mammoth.

And some day the Rockies will score some runs.

Outlaws season starts May 31. The won their third championship last year.

Also, the Rapids exist. I think. And I tried to watch some Major League Rugby games.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Cynthia Freulund of NFL Network predicts the Broncos will take Alabama TE T.J. Williams with the 10th overall pick. She also has no one taking Kyler Murray or any other QB in the top ten. That would be shocking.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Yeah that’s not accurate.

I’m seeing teams trade to #5 and #9 to get ahead of teams like the Broncos who are QB needy. I think the Broncos should trade down honestly - but that’s really all dependent on someone have a want/desire to actually trade up and give assets to do so.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Mammoth just need one win or one Vancouver loss over the next four games to clinch a playoff spot.

Hoping they get that win tonight against the Saskatchewan Rush at Pepsi Center. Going to have to DVR the Avs game because I'll always pick the live experience over the TV experience.

If any one of the Nuggets, Avs, or Mammoth can bring home a title I'll be over the moon. If more than one of them can do it you may never hear from me again. I'll just party until I collapse and die.

Currently in the process of repressing my memory of the start of this Rockies season. Yikes.

Save us Flacco.

armedequation

Mar 1, 2019
Cynthia Freulund of NFL Network predicts the Broncos will take Alabama TE T.J. Williams with the 10th overall pick. She also has no one taking Kyler Murray or any other QB in the top ten. That would be shocking.

Im not sure what shes talking about. Theres not te that played for ala with that name. Theres a tackle named jonah Williams and their te is irv smith jr. The te thats been speculated in first is tj hockenson from iowa.

Couple of mocks ive done:

1) Devin bush ilb
2) Noah fant te
3) micheal deiter g/c/t
4) hakeem butler wr
5) dyan mack nt
6) easton stick qb

Or

1)hockenson te (via trade back)
2) dexter lawerence dt
3) micheal dieter
4) jarett stidham qb
5) parris cambell wr

Reactions: Grackle Party

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Bobby Jones, who is most famous for being a 76er but spent 1974-1978 with Denver, was just elected to the Hall of Fame.

The Nuggets are on a very odd streak of players who spent 5 seasons or fewer in Denver being elected to the Hall of Fame
2014: Sarunas Marciulionis (1996-1997)
2015: Dikembe Mutombo (1991-1996) and Spencer Haywood (1969-1970)
2016: Allen Iverson (2006-2008)
2017: George McGinnis (1978-1980)
2018: Charlie Scott (1978-1980)
2019: Bobby Jones (1974-1978)

Chauncey Billups is perhaps next (1999-2000, 2008-2011).

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Bobby Jones, who is most famous for being a 76er but spent 1974-1978 with Denver, was just elected to the Hall of Fame.

The Nuggets are on a very odd streak of players who spent 5 seasons or fewer in Denver being elected to the Hall of Fame
2014: Sarunas Marciulionis (1996-1997)
2015: Dikembe Mutombo (1991-1996) and Spencer Haywood (1969-1970)
2016: Allen Iverson (2006-2008)
2017: George McGinnis (1978-1980)
2018: Charlie Scott (1978-1980)
2019: Bobby Jones (1974-1978)

Chauncey Billups is perhaps next (1999-2000, 2008-2011).
Jones was a integral part of the team and trading him was a huge error that had a detrimental effect on David Thompson, so he's not a Johnny Unitas as a Charger type.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Im not sure what shes talking about. Theres not te that played for ala with that name. Theres a tackle named jonah Williams and their te is irv smith jr. The te thats been speculated in first is tj hockenson from iowa.

Couple of mocks ive done:

1) Devin bush ilb
2) Noah fant te
3) micheal deiter g/c/t
4) hakeem butler wr
5) dyan mack nt
6) easton stick qb

Or

1)hockenson te (via trade back)
2) dexter lawerence dt
3) micheal dieter
4) jarett stidham qb
5) parris cambell wr

Does your shift key work?

A lot of people are high on Hockenson, but this draft is a good one for TEs. I don't dispute the Broncos need one, but they could likely still get a good one in the 2nd round, i.e. Fant.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I don’t see much of a difference in this draft of guys at #5 vs guys at #15. It feels like there’s a lot of very solid but not great players. But the very solid players are in abundance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad