OT: Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XXVI - Farewell, Samardzija

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
There are three "left-side-of-the-infield" positions and unless you are enamored with Valbuena, the Cubs have precisely one major-leaguer filling them. Castro's defense would play significantly better at 2b, and neither Russell nor Baez are stone-cold locks to be able to play MLB SS (though both *probably* could handle it).

As someone said above, you can trade anyone if you are blown away enough, but the Cubs don't have any sort of infield surplus yet. Maybe they will in 18 months or so if everything goes perfectly, which it so rarely does.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
There are three "left-side-of-the-infield" positions and unless you are enamored with Valbuena, the Cubs have precisely one major-leaguer filling them. Castro's defense would play significantly better at 2b, and neither Russell nor Baez are stone-cold locks to be able to play MLB SS (though both *probably* could handle it).

As someone said above, you can trade anyone if you are blown away enough, but the Cubs don't have any sort of infield surplus yet. Maybe they will in 18 months or so if everything goes perfectly, which it so rarely does.

How high are you on Russell being able to handle SS? It seems like he has the best tools defensively to be able to do so from what I have read about him in numerous publications/sites/forums etc.

Isn't general thinking that you cannot have enough SS anyway? They usually are able to be switched to multiple positions since they are generally some of the more athletic players on the diamond.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Im sure both have to be somewhere in the top 100 but I dont have his 100 list. I dont put a whole lot of stock in BA or the rankings. I can see Baez as trade bait. Baez is hugely overated.

He is. Just don't tell Cubs fans that. ;) Out of the few I've seen in their farm, position wise, I've already made my case known with Bryant.. STUD. I like Soler alot too. Russell I haven't seen yet, but his tools are just tantalizing. But that was one of Theo's greatest strengths with Boston. Have some top line legit prospects and a bunch of B+ prospects who were trumped up and guys like Gammons fed into it. Very helpful when it comes to trades.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
So the Cavs just cleared enough cap space to offer LeBron a max contract. Interesting. You know I wish I was as invested in the actual sport of NBA basketball as much as I am the drama and intrigue of NBA free agency.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
So the Cavs just cleared enough cap space to offer LeBron a max contract. Interesting. You know I wish I was as invested in the actual sport of NBA basketball as much as I am the drama and intrigue of NBA free agency.

I'm the same way. The free agency drama has been fun and I hope the Bulls get Melo. But when the season starts...all my attention goes to the Bears and Hawks.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
How high are you on Russell being able to handle SS? It seems like he has the best tools defensively to be able to do so from what I have read about him in numerous publications/sites/forums etc.

Isn't general thinking that you cannot have enough SS anyway? They usually are able to be switched to multiple positions since they are generally some of the more athletic players on the diamond.

Reasonably high, but MLB-level SS is *really, really* hard to play. He's going to need to keep getting better.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Russell has a LONG way to go and starting out 0-9 doesnt help but they say his makeup is as solid as it gets. Happy with Russell as a SS prospect and Almora for CF. Both extremely tough positions to fill at the major league level.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
The Cubs do not have a SS surplus, and the NY media is just being the NY media.

Well they do have a SS surplus. But it's probably the best position to have a surplus in - since SS's are generally among the best athletes and can usually move to other positions seamlessly. So the Cubs don't have to move anything if they don't want to.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
The Cubs' system has a SS surplus. The only proven SS is Starlin Castro, and even some fans aren't sold on him after his turnaround. But the thing is, the Cubs can effectively have Russell and Baez on the same roster as if they fully pan out because they are versatile. All the good Cubs prospects have versatility. It gives Jed and Theo options to say the least.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
What do the Yankees have to offer? Gary Sanchez is nowhere near Baez, Russell, Alcantara, and especially Castro. Plus, they have Schwarber as a future catcher if that's where the organization wants him.

The Yankees can be interested in shortstops in the best system in baseball all they want, but I just don't see the Cubs and Yankees as logical trade partners.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Well they do have a SS surplus. But it's probably the best position to have a surplus in - since SS's are generally among the best athletes and can usually move to other positions seamlessly. So the Cubs don't have to move anything if they don't want to.

They don't.

They have precisely one MLB-ready SS, and even he's a bit stretched defensively and wouldn't be hurt at all to another position.

But yeah, it's semantics and we essentially agree.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
AJ has been DFA'ed. Gotta think that may be the end of it for him.

Let the countdown to him taking a coaching role with the SOX begin.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
Move Baez to third, Russell to 2B, Bryant to LF, Schwarber to RF and you absolutely can get away with an Adam Eaton/Ryan Hannigan CF/C combo

Yeah, if you still have Castro as your SS.

I see no problem with a healthy Castillo at catcher if they want to move Schwarber to corner OF. No problem at all. Look at his stats the two years before this when he was healthy.

The "expendable" and versatile prospects with shortstop ability should only be dealt if there are guys like Hamels, Price, and Stanton available, which is becoming a very real possibility.

In a perfect world:

C: Schwarber/Castillo
1B: Rizzo
2B: Castro
3B: Baez
SS: Russell
LF: Bryant
CF: Almora/Alcantara
RF: Soler/Schwarber

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
There is no reason to move Kris Bryant. He stays at 3B for at least the next 2 seasons and probably longer.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
Looks like Melo is going back to New York, shocking no one.

Bulls miss out again, but they did the best with what they had to offer. Melo wanted (a lot more) money more than winning. He'll play it off that his family loves New York and that he likes Phil's vision, but everyone knows that money talks.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Too bad. The Bulls might've been fun to watch again and the Knicks will continue to be terrible.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
The Knicks are still one of the worst teams in basketball with Carmelo. The Bulls would have been one of the best.

It's all about money, and if anyone believes his inevitable story about family comfort level and Phil's vision, you're buying convenient excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad