OT: Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XXVI - Farewell, Samardzija

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Almora has been struggling a bit and Soler has been injured.

I agree, just sad to see them drop out of the top 50 completely considering both were considered the core 4...

plus Baez has struggled pretty bad at times this year, yet keeps his high ranking...people must really see a bright future in that kid and I hope he pans out.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
no more Almora or Soler in the top 50?

weren't they last year??
Im sure both have to be somewhere in the top 100 but I dont have his 100 list. I dont put a whole lot of stock in BA or the rankings. I can see Baez as trade bait. Baez is hugely overated.

Almora started out pretty bad but seems back to form as of late. Soler might be given an injury prone label but has been doing decently when healthy. Jiminez might make some list is 1,2 years.

Schawber isnt listed but hes probably going to be somewhere in there by the end of the year or certainly by next year. Hes killing it.

Baseball reference Cubs minors 2014

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Im sure both have to be somewhere in the top 100 but I dont have his 100 list. I dont put a whole lot of stock in BA or the rankings. I can see Baez as trade bait. Baez is hugely overated.

Almora started out pretty bad but seems back to form as of late. Soler might be given an injury prone label but has been doing decently when healthy. Jiminez might make some list is 1,2 years.

Schawber isnt listed but hes probably going to be somewhere in there by the end of the year or certainly by next year. Hes killing it.

Baseball reference Cubs minors 2014

Schawber will definitely be in the top 25 or so next year if he keeps this up. kid can hit, we all knew that...hopefully they can find a spot for him to do so in the bigs.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
My hope for the Cubs was to have 20 in the top 100 the last year everyone is eligible. We might not get there but having so many at the top is just as good.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Epstein is loading up on prospects. Deals the Cubs top 2 pitchers for more top tier prospects. He did well dealing Guzman last year. Im hoping for another high pick in next years draft.

Hope he can find a taker and deal Castro, Barney and some others.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It'd be really nice to build something around Castro for Fernandez, but I don't think they'd consider it even with the injury.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
I don't see why they would trade Castro at this point.
Probably not now but who knows. Baez and Alcantara are slotted for somewhere in the infield assuming they can make the jump.

Theres been talk about the Mets having some interest in Castro. Theo has lots of options and Castro is probably the top valued chip available. Id do it.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I'd absolutely be shopping Castro. I have no faith in him having a consistent career. I hoped we'd have the opportunity to deal him and here it is.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
You don't shop Castro. If someone wants to overpay for him, fine. But don't go counting your chickens before they hatch.

And, no, Baez is not overrated.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Rizzo is a monster. I could care less if the Cubs trade anyone on the current roster expect for Rizzo and Castro

Last edited:

Nothingman*

You don't shop Castro. If someone wants to overpay for him, fine. But don't go counting your chickens before they hatch.

And, no, Baez is not overrated.

Baez has played well since Bryant came up. He is batting .303 with 3 homers the last ten games. Maybe it has been Manny helping him....who knows. But. He has been getting better as the season has gone on. It is unrealistic to think each prospect has the same path or length of time in the minors. He might take an extra year or two.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Baez has played well since Bryant came up. He is batting .303 with 3 homers the last ten games. Maybe it has been Manny helping him....who knows. But. He has been getting better as the season has gone on. It is unrealistic to think each prospect has the same path or length of time in the minors. He might take an extra year or two.

He hit .300 over his last 50 games with an OPS in the .900's. He's worked out what he had to work out.

Also, I'm just gonna leave this here because it does a good job of telling you why underperformers don't fall sometimes and overperformers don't rise sometimes on prospect lists.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Of course the Cubs should listen on all players but unless they are blown away on a offer, there is no way you trade Starlin Castro, who btw, is on a team friendly contract. If the Cubs allow Castro continue to be Castro and not change him like they try to do in 2013, Castro should be a consistent player moving forward especially as the talent gets better around him.

I would love to see the Cubs build an offer around Javier Baez and go after Giancarlo Stanton.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Of course the Cubs should listen on all players but unless they are blown away on a offer, there is no way you trade Starlin Castro, who btw, is on a team friendly contract. If the Cubs allow Castro continue to be Castro and not change him like they try to do in 2013, Castro should be a consistent player moving forward especially as the talent gets better around him.

I would love to see the Cubs build an offer around Javier Baez and go after Giancarlo Stanton.

I'd much rather keep Baez and trade Castro in a deal like that. That power in the middle infield doesn't come along very often. If we trade neither, that's our middle infield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad