Prospect Info: #69(nice)OA - Hurricanes select LHD Alexander Nikishin (Spartak - KHL)

Justicebork

Jul 13, 2022
What is his salary o'er yonder? For him I assume the strategy is to get through his ELC and to free agency as quickly as possible to get a payday?

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I was under the impression that stars like him could earn a bit more than the ELC here. Hence the reason to stay there until they only need to play one year ELC here before cashing in.
Ostensibly, no. The NHL pays way more and offers way more financial flexibility with the Russian economy the way it is.

However, SKA is Putin's team and Nikishin the captain. None of us know how much he may be paid under the table.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Ostensibly, no. The NHL pays way more and offers way more financial flexibility with the Russian economy the way it is.

However, SKA is Putin's team and Nikishin the captain. None of us know how much he may be paid under the table.

Dont forget tax.
Tax rate for NHLers is roughly 45-50% while KHL contracts are negotiated as net income.
So, in terms of take home, a $500K KHL deal is the rough equivalent of a $1 million NHL contract.
If I recall correctly, on the advice of his father, its why Kaprizov didn't go to the NHL immediately. He wanted to be financially secure before making the uncertain jump to the NHL.

Btw, SKA isn't Putin's team any more than than others. But correct,, under the table performance bonuses are frequent for every KHL team.

Last edited:
Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad