Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LXII: The Bulls are technically an NBA team

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I honestly feel a bit bad for Baines. I wonder how much joy he takes from this as he will now be the go to guy as the example of who shouldn't be in the Hall. I wonder if he'd prefer to not be in, given how this has gone.

Reactions: hawksrule

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

Lord... when the ****ing Kings of all teams are laughing at you, just throw in the towel.

Jeez, that's like how teams a decade ago sometimes held player-only meetings when they lost to the Clippers as that was viewed as an inexcusable ignominy. Getting mocked by the Kings is grounds for a total organizational tear down. Burn everything and hope something decent and attractive grows from the ashes in a few years. We're going to have a McDavid thousand yard stare situation if we win a lottery and the cameras focus on the top guys hope in their heads that they slide a tad.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Phillies get McCutchen.

Wonder if that affects their pursuit of Harper?
It feels like the Sox might be the highest rational bidder for Harper. It will be interesting if he bites. Machado appears to be more wanted by other clubs.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
It feels like the Sox might be the highest rational bidder for Harper. It will be interesting if he bites. Machado appears to be more wanted by other clubs.

It does, doesn't it? I keep looking at other teams and it seems like they are one by one saying they aren't interested. I'm not sure how to feel.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
It does, doesn't it? I keep looking at other teams and it seems like they are one by one saying they aren't interested. I'm not sure how to feel.
Harper is really good if he can relax a bit. Yes ... his swing is a bit erratic, but as he ages, I bet it gets better.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Harper is going to get way overpaid. Guys is basically a 4-5 WAR player going to get paid like he's routinely 8-9.

Reactions: Wrigley

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Harper is going to get way overpaid. Guys is basically a 4-5 WAR player going to get paid like he's routinely 8-9.
Depends how much he gets paid.

Harper had a terrible year and his OPS was still .890. Harper's average OPS in the 4 years is .930+. He just turned 26.

Dependent on the guaranteed money and years, he's a pretty good gamble. I dint think the ChiSox are going to give him an astronomical contract. They don't operate that way. They'll give him a very good offer though.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014

Harper had a terrible year and his OPS was still .890. Harper's average OPS in the 4 years is .930+. He just turned 26.

Dependent on the guaranteed money and years, he's a pretty good gamble. I dint think the ChiSox are going to give him an astronomical contract. They don't operate that way. They'll give him a very good offer though.
It seems pretty likely he will get, at minimum, well over $300 million.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

esp with the years that his agent want ......

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
esp with the years that his agent want ......
Boras didn't get the years he wanted for Arrieta last year.

It sounds like the owners are pretty united on this. The agents are not working together.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Wait, why are you talking about the White Sox regarding Harper? Am I missing something? They're a budget team (not saying that as an insult) that might open the wallet when they're on the doorstep for an addition, they're not going to throw down nine figures for a guy now.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
That's a lot of money. Do you think the ChiSox will offer that much?
I mean, Harper allegedly turned down a $300 million offer from the Nats in like October. No idea if the ChiSox will offer that much, but plenty of teams are going to.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I mean, Harper allegedly turned down a $300 million offer from the Nats in like October. No idea if the ChiSox will offer that much, but plenty of teams are going to.
That's a lot of money. $300mn+ might be out of the ChiSox price range.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Wait, why are you talking about the White Sox regarding Harper? Am I missing something? They're a budget team (not saying that as an insult) that might open the wallet when they're on the doorstep for an addition, they're not going to throw down nine figures for a guy now.

To varying degrees they have been consistently mentioned as a team that might make a splash this off season.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/w...anny-machado-mlb-free-agency-hot-stove-rumors

Like I said earlier, as a Sox fan, I have mixed feelings about this. The type of contracts that have been floated around 10 year 300 mil is a huge number for a team like the Sox. On the other hand, landing Harper on top of the talent they have coming up, would be pretty exciting. I guess my head says they shouldn't at that price but if they do, I'll be pumped.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Sox want a big name to build around on and off the field

I wanted Machado last offseason , Lost interest after his stint with Dodgers and issues there but now am back on the Machado train over Harper

Landing Machado leads to question of what you do with Anderson? I have heard about idea of putting him in LF but I am not sure his arm is good enough

Maybe move Moncada to 3B , Anderson to 2b and Machado to SS?

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Machado is the better fit (if he does play 3B). Harper is the one who will help JR the most financially and is the much bigger brand for a franchise who desperately needs it. I would love to get either, but definitely more "in" with Harper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad