Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LXII: The Bulls are technically an NBA team

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
i am glad the sox will be actual buyers and they are aiming big. whether i agree with this move of not, i can look at this rumors of Harper or Machado being a positive for one reason. to sell seats, media and fans that they are almost done rebuilding and join the fun and jump on the band-wagon.

i still think they need to Ace sp...... anyone in for the Zack Greinke and or who else ???

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Bowden saying Sox are front runner for Harper

I am naturally very skeptical of such a thing especially with Bowden as source

But then this makes me wonder if there is something there

Boras and White Sox have not had good relationship thru years as we all know infact for a few years they avoided players that had him as agent and yet here we are Scott talking up Jerry and Sox

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Boras is full of poop. He'll do anything you drive the price up.

Boras told Jose Fernandez to decline the Marlins lucrative offer. Jose dies. His family's house is in foreclosure. Boras didn't pay for his funeral or help his family afterwards. I realize it's not his job ... but you'd think he'd have some more empathy.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Boras is full of poop. He'll do anything you drive the price up.

Boras told Jose Fernandez to decline the Marlins lucrative offer. Jose dies. His family's house is in foreclosure. Boras didn't pay for his funeral or help his family afterwards. I realize it's not his job ... but you'd think he'd have some more empathy.
That's his entire job.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
This is funny. LaRussa struggles to defend Baines with any metrics any comes up with game winning rbi's. Tony La Russa Calls Arguments Against Harold Baines "Weak A-- Superficial B.S," Cites Extinct, Obscure Statistic
I was listening to 670 this morning and they were interviewing Baines. I did feel a little bad because they were asking him about the controversy of his selection. His answers just highlighted how little some people understand advanced stats. He rambled on about how numbers weren't around back then, how they aren't important and how it was a different game, etc.

I feel bad for the guy though, he's honestly in a tough situation.

Elvis P

Stop! In the name of love/You can't hurry love
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Harper is going to get way overpaid. Guys is basically a 4-5 WAR player going to get paid like he's routinely 8-9.
Exactly. In the last 7 seasons Rizzo is 19th in WAR with 29.2. Harper is 27.4, he's only been top 11 in MVP voting once, and $300 million+ for a guy who hits .279!?! I don't think so. Harold Baines hit .289.

Last edited:

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Exactly. In the last 7 seasons Rizzo is 19th in WAR with 29.2. Harper is 27.4, he's only been top 11 in MVP voting once, and $300 million+ for a guy who hits .279!?! I don't think so. Harold Baines hit .289.
Well Harold Baines is in the hall of fame, soooo

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Baines is only in because Reinsdorf and LaRussa were part of the 16 person HOF Veterans Committee. That said, the baseball HOF has always had their biases and way too stringent.

I also think Baines and Smith got in as replacements for the steroid players that would have gotten in.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I also think Baines and Smith got in as replacements for the steroid players that would have gotten in.
I have no issues with either Baines and Smith. I get it, both were compliers. That said, Harold Baines saved baseball on the Southside. He means a lot to ChiSox fans. Smith was one of the top relievers for over a decade.

Martinez, Whitaker, Mussina, Murphy, etc. should also make it too.

As for the steroid users, let them in too. Just put a notation on their plaque of positive tests or suspcision of use.

HOFs should be a celebration of the sport. Some people use it as a sort of validity of their careers.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I have no issues with either Baines and Smith. I get it, both were compliers. That said, Harold Baines saved baseball on the Southside. He means a lot to ChiSox fans. Smith was one of the top relievers for over a decade.

Martinez, Whitaker, Mussina, Murphy, etc. should also make it too.

As for the steroid users, let them in too. Just put a notation on their plaque of positive tests or suspcision of use.

HOFs should be a celebration of the sport. Some people use it as a sort of validity of their careers.

Like a needle sticking out of their cheek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad