Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LXI: Bulls Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Joe West is blind.

Please tell me why MLB allows a 300lbs grandpa to hobble from the right field line to the wall to make the call of the season? I'm no Astros or BoSox fan. However, it was obvious Betts reach over into the stands. That ball was fair game.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Carmelo stinks. He refuses to play defense.

Impressed with Mirotic. He transformed his body. It made him into a very good NBA stretch 4. He's going to get a huge extension.

Anthony Davis is scary. Too bad he's going to the Lakers.

Ayton is much better than I expected. He has a chance to be somewhat like Embiid. He's going to be a very good player.

Doncic is going to be a very good offensive player. Great passer ... and his shots will start falling. He has a nice shot. The biggest issue is Doncic's athleticism. Not on offense ... but defensively, he has issues defending small forwards. Trevor Ariza, TJ Warren, and Josh Jackson all went off. Carlisle tried to hide Doncic on the defensive end (sometimes guarding Canaan), but it didn't always work. Doncic is a rookie, so his defense should get better. However, he has a long way to go. He has a high offensive ceiling.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Joe West is blind.

Please tell me why MLB allows a 300lbs grandpa to hobble from the right field line to the wall to make the call of the season? I'm no Astros or BoSox fan. However, it was obvious Betts reach over into the stands. That ball was fair game.

Was it, though? People keep saying this. In my opinion, contact was made directly above the wall. Like.. that yellow line on the wall.. if you extended it straight up, I think that’s where contact was made.

Is that considered in the stands, or in play? Because the yellow line on the wall is still in play, so does that extend up as well? The ball was obviously on the trajectory to go out, but that’s not what matters here. It matters where contact was made. If the ball was going to go out but the fan clearly reached over the wall, that’s still interference. So the simple question is... is the area directly above the wall (where contact appeared to happen) considered in the stands? I’m truly not sure on that ruling. I could see that still being considered in play since the yellow line on top of the wall is still in play.

Just don’t think this call is as black-and-white as people are making it out to be. Betts was not clearly in the stands. It’s actually very, very close.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Was it, though? People keep saying this. In my opinion, contact was made directly above the wall. Like.. that yellow line on the wall.. if you extended it straight up, I think that’s where contact was made.

Is that considered in the stands, or in play? Because the yellow line on the wall is still in play, so does that extend up as well? The ball was obviously on the trajectory to go out, but that’s not what matters here. It matters where contact was made. If the ball was going to go out but the fan clearly reached over the wall, that’s still interference. So the simple question is... is the area directly above the wall (where contact appeared to happen) considered in the stands? I’m truly not sure on that ruling. I could see that still being considered in play since the yellow line on top of the wall is still in play.

Just don’t think this call is as black-and-white as people are making it out to be. Betts was not clearly in the stands. It’s actually very, very close.
The side angle shows it pretty well, he's reaching out away from his body when he catches it, but he's like a foot or more from the wall when he contacts the ball. It's close.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Some are worse than others.
giphy.gif

Reactions: RayP

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Basically, I'm convinced that every fanbase is about the same, with approximately the same percentage of bad fans. Be that 1% or 5% or 10%, pick a ratio you want, I'm convinced it's mostly consistent within a reasonable margin of error across all fanbases.

But there's a tenfold difference between... say 5% of a 500,000 person fanbase versus 5% of a 5,000,000 person fanbase, so bigger fanbases are much more easily noticeable by their bad fans because of the shear number of them.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
22d821540597c7ecbde5bd2686beba8e-original.jpg

Yes ... the fans were straddling the yellow line. However, do you expect the fans to just sit there and hope Mookie catches the ball? If he misses, they get hit in the head or body.

They did not reach over. You can't penalize fans for doing nothing wrong. Those fans were parallel to the wall. Even Boston fans kind of think they got away with one.

That's sports. It happens. It creates drama. That said, Joe West being in a middle of a controversy doesn't help.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
22d821540597c7ecbde5bd2686beba8e-original.jpg

Yes ... the fans were straddling the yellow line. However, do you expect the fans to just sit there and hope Mookie catches the ball? If he misses, they get hit in the head or body.

They did not reach over. You can't penalize fans for doing nothing wrong. Those fans were parallel to the wall. Even Boston fans kind of think they got away with one.

That's sports. It happens. It creates drama. That said, Joe West being in a middle of a controversy doesn't help.

I never said they did anything wrong. I don’t blame them at all, and I’m assuming that why they weren’t tossed - because it was such an odd situation. That situation sucked for both the fans and Betts, because I truly don’t think anyone was “in the wrong.”

However, that doesn’t mean it’s not interference either.

Like you said, they are parallel to the wall. So it was literally right on the divide between the stands and on the field.

The question is then... is that technically on the field, or in the stands? Very difficult situation there. I truly don’t know if they got the call right or wrong, but I would have agreed with it either way. Don’t say that very often. But, I understand why Houston fans are mad that happened. I just simply don’t think it’s as clear cut as some people are making it out to be.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I never said they did anything wrong. I don’t blame them at all, and I’m assuming that why they weren’t tossed - because it was such an odd situation. That situation sucked for both the fans and Betts, because I truly don’t think anyone was “in the wrong.”

However, that doesn’t mean it’s not interference either.

Like you said, they are parallel to the wall. So it was literally right on the divide between the stands and on the field.

The question is then... is that technically on the field, or in the stands? Very difficult situation there. I truly don’t know if they got the call right or wrong, but I would have agreed with it either way. Don’t say that very often. But, I understand why Houston fans are mad that happened. I just simply don’t think it’s as clear cut as some people are making it out to be.

If the ball hits the top of the fence and comes back into play, it's a HR, no? So if that's the case, then it's technically in the stands, I would say.

The bigger thing, for me, is the look on all those people's faces. :laugh: Priceless.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
And I've heard the same thing about Dodger fans.

And how did Cubs fans treat Bartman?

Seriously, there are *******s in every fanbase.

In all your years of watching sports you’ve found every fan base in all sports equally annoying and the same?

What about Philly fans and their track record?

Give me a break.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Again, not all fanbases are equally annoying, as not all fanbases are the same size. The reason why New York fans and Boston fans and Philly fans and Chicago fans have pretty bad reps is due to the massive size of these fanbases. There are a lot of dirtbag Eagles and Yankees and Patriots fans because there are millions upon millions upon millions of them, and the tens of thousands of bad fans in each lot get more vocal the more of them that there are.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
i

This is a better picture. They were definitely straddling the line ... eyes on the ball. There was no intent to slap at Betts' glove ... or reach over into the field of play. I acknowledge the rules are fuzzy ... but common sense says this should be a home run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad