Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LXI: Bulls Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, but almost all of that is to attract the best coaches and players for the money sports. Those are viewed as means to an end by athletic departments. If you suddenly have to start paying student athletes, I guarantee that they won't view that in the same lens and just cut the areas where they don't see a profit rather than eating costs or cutting elsewhere.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Yeah, but almost all of that is to attract the best coaches and players for the money sports. Those are viewed as means to an end by athletic departments. If you suddenly have to start paying student athletes, I guarantee that they won't view that in the same lens and just cut the areas where they don't see a profit rather than eating costs or cutting elsewhere.

Yes, so instead of building ridiculous buildings or paying coaches inflated salaries, you'd give money to players. Coaching salaries are inflated because they don't have to compete with the players for that slice of the pie. Would anyone be crying if Nick Saban made 10 mil a year instead of 11 and that extra mil was divided among the players?

Reactions: AmericanDream

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
That's the way it should work, not the way it necessarily will work, though. In an ideal world, some of the fat would just get cut and be more than enough to nourish everything. I just really doubt that'll be the realty of the situation for the vast majority of programs.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
for the major college sports (basketball and football) it is absolutely disgusting with how much money these people are making off of kids..then to watch these coaches make millions of dollars preaching a team game to "amateurs" that very few make it in is appalling. now look at the tv deal some of these conferences have signed lol...but they get a scholarship right??

I cannont stand the hypocrisy in college, college elitists who profit off of kids for their personal gain..30 years ago this wasn't such a big deal, when you look at the cash flow involved now, it is sickening what these schools are making off of free labor.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The point is that the NCAA is useless. They are not a disciplinary body. The POWER FIVE need to break away and allow the student athlete earn money through endorsements / image. If they want to take a loan, they should be allowed to do so from a central body.

The FBI proved blatant forms of payment is already happening REGARDLESS of NCAA rules. It's time to regulate through transparency. The current trial will help the Power Five to navigate through anti trust laws.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
for the major college sports (basketball and football) it is absolutely disgusting with how much money these people are making off of kids..then to watch these coaches make millions of dollars preaching a team game to "amateurs" that very few make it in is appalling. now look at the tv deal some of these conferences have signed lol...but they get a scholarship right??

I cannont stand the hypocrisy in college, college elitists who profit off of kids for their personal gain..30 years ago this wasn't such a big deal, when you look at the cash flow involved now, it is sickening what these schools are making off of free labor.
College kids should be allowed to transfer without penalty at the end of the season. No mid season transfer though. Each player gets 5 years to play 4 years of varsity college athletics. We expect everyone to graduate in 4/5 years. So should athletes. The age of 25 should be the cut off for any college athlete ... unless they served in the military prior to 25.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
uh oh. sour grapes?

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/c...onnect-maddon-epstein-bryant-contreras-iapoce

I learned a lot this year," Davis told the Sun-Times' Gordon Wittenmyer. "I learned that the next situation I get in, before I say yes to a job, I need to make sure I know the personnel I'll be dealing with in the clubhouse. I hope the next guy connects better with the players, because I felt that there were multiple players there I didn't connect with. It wasn't that I didn't try; it just wasn't there.​

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
3 hitting coaches in 3 years says you are right

That’s a bit misleading. Malle was here for 3 years before Davis. Firing two coaches over 4 years isn’t great either, but saying 3 hitting coaches in 3 years is a bit misleading.

I’m sure Davis has some legitimate gripes. The “millennial” comment was kind of odd, though. But I guess you may as well go to ol’ reliable. When it doubt, blame the millenials.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
As expected, K and Dook are involved in the college basketball scandal. Zion Williamson was known to be shopping his services for a job, cash, and housing.

Jeff Capel is known as a dirty recruiter. It shouldn't surprise anyone K looks the other way ALL THE TIME. He's such a hypocrite. Leader of Men .. LOL.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Alright, I’ve stayed up for whatever reason... but I’m just giving the dodgers the bottom of the 13th here and then I’m out. This isn’t even an exciting extra innings game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad