Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVIII: Hamels & Kintzler are Cubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
You're not. This was a good post.

Thanks, while I have you hear, since you seem to be the go to MLB guy around these parts, maybe you can answer this.

I asked this question earlier in the year, but I don't think anyone responded.

At what point is it beneficial for a player to give up switch hitting if one side is so much worse than the other? Moncada is crazy young, so I'm in no way arguing for it, but how many ABs, or what is the discrepancy that you would need to see to say it's not worth it?

Using Moncada as the example (again, he's super young, small sample size, etc)....

As a lefty 454 AB .226/.326/.451
As a righty 173 AB .170/.226/.229

Say that 3 years from now, those splits were a similar gap between batting right and batting left, would you scrap hitting righty all together? Is there any expectation of what he would hit as a lefty vs lefty pitching or is there no reasonable way to tell until he started doing it?

Again, this is more just a hypothetical question about switch hitting than Moncada himself (so calm down BWC).

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Not a Cubs fan, but the answer to that is Bryant.
Baez will be far cheaper because Boras is not his agent.

It's amazing a Latino player in Chicago is just as popular as Kris Bryant and Anthony Rizzo. They are all great players who give back to the community ... but somehow Baez figured out a way to cross that cultural bridge (which is not easy to the fault of no one).

It's truly awesome that Cub fans get Javy. He's not perfect, but we get his passion, good nature, and for being a stand up guy.

Javy can be a better player than Bryant IF he becomes more disciplined at the plate. However, that's a big IF ... and I don't think he ever can. That's why his seasons will be far more volatile than Bryant. I'm just surprised Bryant isn't showing the power he had at San Diego. I thought he'd be more like Stanton.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Fair enough, it’s no secret I am a big Javy fan but we will be keeping both so it doesn’t really matter. It’s just fascinating that we have 2 elite level players that bring completely different skill sets to the table. Hard to compare them. For one at bat or one game, I’m always taking Bryant but I like what Javy brings over an extended period of time more. I also like that he gets under people’s skin which the stats don’t quantify. Hopefully this is not a career year.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Thanks, while I have you hear, since you seem to be the go to MLB guy around these parts, maybe you can answer this.
That's a really hard question that I don't think I can give you a good answer to. It's a massive change to give up switch hitting.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So your saying its a conspiracy against him?

Does MLB also somehow make him terrible fielder?

He is trash at this point and next year is make or break year for him as far as I am concerned. If he plays like trash next year Sox need to move on and we must start questioning Hahn's so called rebuild which at this point shows no signs of progress or little potential

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Hahn's scouting report consists of sitting on the toilet reading Street & Smith's....

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Should have traded Sale to the Cubs. Imagine the package they could have got. At the very least, Schwarber and Eloy while keeping Quintana.

But in all honesty, I think Theo would have built the package around Baez so it’s good it didn’t happen.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Baez will be far cheaper because Boras is not his agent.

It's amazing a Latino player in Chicago is just as popular as Kris Bryant and Anthony Rizzo. They are all great players who give back to the community ... but somehow Baez figured out a way to cross that cultural bridge (which is not easy to the fault of no one).

It's truly awesome that Cub fans get Javy. He's not perfect, but we get his passion, good nature, and for being a stand up guy.

Javy can be a better player than Bryant IF he becomes more disciplined at the plate. However, that's a big IF ... and I don't think he ever can. That's why his seasons will be far more volatile than Bryant. I'm just surprised Bryant isn't showing the power he had at San Diego. I thought he'd be more like Stanton.

I would venture a guess and say that at least 20-30% of Cubs fans around the city are Mexican/Spanish decent...and though I understand what you are saying, do you remember Sammy Sosa here? He ran the city for a few years, the dude was loved, even Sox fans at times couldn't bitch about him lol.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I would venture a guess and say that at least 20-30% of Cubs fans around the city are Mexican/Spanish decent...and though I understand what you are saying, do you remember Sammy Sosa here? He ran the city for a few years, the dude was loved, even Sox fans at times couldn't ***** about him lol.
100% true. I just have a different experience in how "other" Hispanics treat Mexico. There is a huge rivalry. If Javy was in NYC, he would be a god. There is a huge Puerto Rican community. In SoCal, there is a huge bias towards Mexican athletes. I have no clue how Chicago works. I'm glad to hear it's more a melting pot.

Reactions: AmericanDream

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Why even bring Eloy up? Sox are garbage this year, so they get to keep the stink off him, let him keep developing and building confidence in the minors, and don't bring up a player that could potentially win them a few games and cost them a spot or two in the draft. Win-win-win from the Sox's perspective for keeping him down this season.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Why even bring Eloy up? Sox are garbage this year, so they get to keep the stink off him, let him keep developing and building confidence in the minors, and don't bring up a player that could potentially win them a few games and cost them a spot or two in the draft. Win-win-win from the Sox's perspective for keeping him down this season.

Surely the fans who go and waste time/$$$ on team deserve to see something positive

If not the Sox should be refunding them nightly after watching the pathetic performances put out there especially by so called "Youth of future" on roster

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Eh there are more reasons to go to a ballpark than to just see the team win.

EDIT - it's not like it costs more than a couple bucks to go either

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

If he's ready development wise, I'd let him get some ABs. The reason to bring him up now, is to further development. There are going to be growing pains most likely. I'm not worried about them winning games because of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad