Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVIII: Hamels & Kintzler are Cubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Wow, this Urban Meyer story is getting crazier. It APPEARS Shelley Meyer is coaxing the OSU friendly media (Jeff Snook) to STATE that Tom Herman (Texas' coach) was the source for Brett McMurphy (the writer for the alleged domestic abuse article). Both Tom Herman and Brett McMurphy denied it vehemently.

The Meyers seem to believe that because Tom Herman's wife helped Courtney Smith (alleged battered wife) in 2017, they snitched to the media. Does it really matter even if it's true?!?!

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Would you give up major young assets for a pitcher with constant arm issues? The great thing is Rodon is signed through 2021 (3+ more years). The Sox should just sit and hope the asset appreciates. If Rodon is a great 2019, then the Sox can get a ton. Or Kopech, Lopez, Giolito, Moncada, Jimenez, Palka, and Anderson all take a big step forward ... and you keep Rodon for the future with more prospects coming up.

I'm not quite sure what you do with Abreu and Garcia. I doubt they fetch much so you probably keep them ... at least up to the trading deadline.

Well, if he manages to stay healthy and keeps dominating, I suspect a lot of teams will think he might be past his arm issues. The problem with waiting another year is - he then only has 2 years of control left. So people start to kind/of sort of look at him as a rental type player.

So...if I was a team on the cusp and needed a top young starter, yeah I would pull the trigger on Rodon. But that's only in a perfect world if the rest of his season goes perfect.

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
This is ridiculous. Meyer didn't do anything wrong.

Brian Kelly killed a kid at ND and nothing is made of that.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
If Rodon keeps this up, he won't be on the Sox next season. A team like the Braves or Phillies will give them an offer they can't refuse.
He's got 3 more years of control so there's no rush to move him and his track record isn't such that he'd get a huge package yet. I think he'll be around for a bit

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I was watching the Sox game today, and Steve Stone just compared Moncada's skill set to Mike Trout so apparently either Steve Stone is a moron too, or I'm not crazy.

latest

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

You mean Meyer... who, at Big 10 media day, said he never heard of the 2015 story, and also said “I don’t who know makes up something like that”.... BUT.... now admits he knew about it, and says he took the proper steps with it? That Meyer? Just making sure we have the same guy.

Yeah, I’m sure he’s pretty innocent. Seems like a pretty straight forward guy who would never lie.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

No one is demanding that Meyer go to jail. However, he's done some shady things in the past ... and hasn't helped himself handling the Zach Smith fiasco. Now it appears like his army is going after the credibility of the reporter and the alleged victim. That's not helping.

The issues between Zach Smith, Courtney Smith, and their children are up to the courts and law enforcement. However, after Urban's lies ... it's only fair we asked some serious questions at OSU. If OSU and Meyer did things by the book, he has nothing to worry about. He'll be vindicated. If he made mistakes and tried to cover it up, then there are major issues.

People are questioning OSU's process. We know something bad happened between Zach and Courtney Smith in 2009 and 2015 ... to what extent, we don't know. However, it's what Urban did afterwards that's the question.

Note ... I have no problems in giving people second chances. That's a good thing. I have an issue when Universities circumvent the process to the detriment of others. That's not the law. That's ethics. And as a public administrator / teacher to adolescents, Urban Meyer should be held to a higher standard.

And yes ... Brian Kelly (imo) messed up. He got lucky the victim's parents wasn't looking for vengeance. Furthermore, ND has a reputation of doing it right. That really helped.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Renteria is Hahn's guy so it would not look good for Hahn to use him as scapegoat

Whatever you want to call it. I'm not sure Renteria has done anything to warrant being brought back. The one thing you should be able to count on through all this rebuild is solid fundamentals, and that has been severely lacking this year.

I also wonder if the Sox might not want to let Omar Vizquel leave for a different team. There's been some glowing reports of his work with the Winston-Salem this year.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Ok Engel just robbed another homer. Dude is fun to watch out there. Can't hit for shit but dammit the glove is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad