Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVIII: Hamels & Kintzler are Cubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Why even bring Eloy up? Sox are garbage this year, so they get to keep the stink off him, let him keep developing and building confidence in the minors, and don't bring up a player that could potentially win them a few games and cost them a spot or two in the draft. Win-win-win from the Sox's perspective for keeping him down this season.
I rather have one more year of control. The Cubs have Bryant under control through the 2021 season because of it. Imagine if Bryant was a UFA after 2020? That would suck.

If the Sox were contenders next year, I understand giving Eloy the experience. However, why not wait a bit before bringing him up? Eloy is under the same FA timeline as an international signing, right?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I thought Moncada was the nu Mike Trout?
Relax ... it's not like Schwarber turned out to be Babe Ruth. The Cubs refused to give up an injured Schwarber and let the Yankees have Torres instead. Of course, Schwarber helped the Cubs win a World Series on one leg. However, Gleyber looks like a future MVP candidate.

Baseball is so unpredictable. Who knows what happens next year? Schwarber can hit 50 HRs, Baez hit for .250, Moncada has a .390 OBP, and Darvish wins a Cy Young. Incredibly, it can happen.

Reactions: TLEH

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Hahahahahaha.

Anyway, Cubs played 3 sub 500 teams, 2 god awful teams, and ended up only one game up. Just not good. Thankfully they’re still 1.5 games up. Don’t wanna end up in that one game playoff.

Last edited:

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Hahahahahaha.

Anyway, Cubs played 3 sub 500 teams, 2 god awful teams, and ended up only one game up. Just not good. Thankfully they’re still 1.5 games up. Don’t wanna end up in that one game playoff.

NL is the Eastern conference of the NBA.... it's going to be Houston or the Red Sox

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
Relax ... it's not like Schwarber turned out to be Babe Ruth. The Cubs refused to give up an injured Schwarber and let the Yankees have Torres instead. Of course, Schwarber helped the Cubs win a World Series on one leg. However, Gleyber looks like a future MVP candidate.

Baseball is so unpredictable. Who knows what happens next year? Schwarber can hit 50 HRs, Baez hit for .250, Moncada has a .390 OBP, and Darvish wins a Cy Young. Incredibly, it can happen.

There's no however when the previous line was "helped the Cubs win the World Series". I don't care if it's Mike Trout versus some journeyman utility player--I'd take the "helped win the World Series" over whatever individual awards the other guy gets.

Reactions: Cubs2024WSChamps

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
That Q trade is looking like a make do for screwing up the Sale trade.

Big if true...

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Lucas Giolito is trash ,, Wonderful start vs Yanks (7 ER in 5 IP) and now has a solid 6.23 ERA

Moncada with two more strikeouts ,, Hey he got hit though to raise his BA up to .218

White Sox supposed bright future has been bleak in showing thus far ,, Hahn should be on hot seat

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
That Q trade is looking like a make do for screwing up the Sale trade.

Big if true...

No doubt, Q has been pretty average. He had a chance to step up vs the Dodgers last year in the playoffs and got smoked as well.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Yu Davish speaks fluent english but yet he requires a translator when he is actually on MLB cameras (press conferences, etc.). TMZ finds him alone in public outside of a uniform... who knows??!!??

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Bob Nightengale @BNightengale When the #Cubs tried to get Chris Sale from the #WhiteSox this winter, Theo Epstein was told it would have to be a package with Kris Bryant. 11:36 AM - Jul 13, 2017 287 180 people are talking about this

MLB Rumors: White Sox Wanted Kris Bryant For Any Chris Sale Trade With Cubs
This was right after the Cubs won the WS and Bryant's MVP season?

I lol'ed. What else were the Sox giving up besides Sale when Bryants value was at it's Apex?

Don't believe this one, at all.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
NL is the Eastern conference of the NBA.... it's going to be Houston or the Red Sox
I don’t necessarily agree with this. As good as the Red Sox have been, the AL has a couple good teams, but they also have some absolute garbage teams like the royals and the orioles.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The AL is much better, but this is baseball, not the NBA. The AL winner will be the favorite, but it's not like the the NL team will have no chance to win like the Cavs vs GS.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
The AL is much better, but this is baseball, not the NBA. The AL winner will be the favorite, but it's not like the the NL team will have no chance to win like the Cavs vs GS.

Well one man can make a huge difference in the NBA (franchise player touches the ball every play and can play the full game if he so chooses). Baseball is a different breed. Anything can happen in a 1 game playoff but in a 7 game series, the best team is going to come out on top and that is the Red Sox / Astros / Yankees > NL

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
This was right after the Cubs won the WS and Bryant's MVP season?

I lol'ed. What else were the Sox giving up besides Sale when Bryants value was at it's Apex?

Don't believe this one, at all.

Yeah, doesn’t sound right. But even still, you could come up with multiple offers from the Cubs that would have made a lot more sense for the Sox than what they took from an American League rival.

And it’s very clear the Cubs would be in the same tier as the Astros, Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers if they had Sale. He’s that one sorely needed piece they are missing. It is what it is. It’s just that you really need dominant pitching in the playoffs and the Cubs have very little of it. It needs to be addressed in the offseason.

Smyly could help the rotation this year and especially next year. If Hamels pitches well, I’d pick up his option as well. So you can’t go and get starting pitching, we have plenty of it and there will not be any dominant free agent SPs that would clearly supplant the guys we have. I suppose a trade is possible but who and for what.

As things stand today, I’d give Kimbrel and Miller whatever they want. Getting one isn’t enough given our rotation problems. Then I’d sign Garrett Richards, who like Smyly, had Tommy John and will be back late next year. He could be a cheap dominant SP moving to the NL.

So then you have a plethora of options at SP and an entire season to figure out which ones are the best. And regardless of how that shakes out, you’re really going to need Kimbrel, Miller, Morrow, Edwards, Cishek and Strop to carry the team through the playoffs.

For this year, we just need the bats to go an extended tear through October and Hamels to keep pitching lights out.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Tiger has turned it around a bit. Rory and Thomas are just so much fun to watch strike the ball. Rory just murders it.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Bryant for Sale

"Hey Theo, we want the guy who is pretty much the best player in baseball last year for Sale"

"No wait, the Red Sox are on the phone, they are offering us our their young, over hyped garbage. Lemme get back to you in a few.."

And no, I'm not high on any of the prospects the WSox received in the Sale trade. Kopech is averaging almost five walks per game at AAA. That's brutal.

Remember these words, Kopech is the next Chatwood. He has as much pure talent as red flags.

Not even counting Moncada any more, he's a bust. The MLB version of Nail Yakupov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad