Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVIII: Hamels & Kintzler are Cubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Javy Baez on pace for... 36 homers, 127 RBI, 103 runs, 45 doubles, 10 triples and 27 stolen bases. He's also hitting .302 with a .929 OPS. That's not including A++ defense at 2nd, shortstop and 3rd base alongside possessing a cannon for an arm.

MVP
MVP
MVP
MVP

More proof Javy is having one of the best seasons in Cubs history

I read an article a week or two ago that said he was getting bad luck on his batted balls all year and to expect an extended tear during the second half. It’s here.

It’s amazing how little attention he is getting. That should change soon.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I asked this question earlier in the year, but I don't think anyone responded.

At what point is it beneficial for a player to give up switch hitting if one side is so much worse than the other? Moncada is crazy young, so I'm in now way arguing for it, but how many ABs, or what is the discrepancy that you would need to see to say it's not worth it?

Using Moncada as the example (again, he's super young, small sample size, etc)....

As a lefty 454 AB .226/.326/.451
As a righty 173 AB .170/.226/.229

Say that 3 years from now, those splits were a similar gap between batting right and batting left, would you scrap hitting righty all together? Is there any expectation of what he would hit as a lefty vs lefty pitching or is there no reasonable way to tell until he started doing it?

Again, this is more just a hypothetical question about switch hitting than Moncada himself (so calm down BWC).

Last edited:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Never would have thought Baez would turn into THIS good of a player. Pretty awesome stuff to watch. He’s been so good at the plate it’s easy to forget he’s one of the best defensive players at any position in the league to go along with it.

He was a Jim Hendry pick, right?

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
What happened?

Their shitty owner Kronke is taking out a 550 million pound loan to buy out the minority owner. So their owner with no ambition just saddled the club with a huge amount of debt that he was almost certainly use club funds to pay off.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Never would have thought Baez would turn into THIS good of a player. Pretty awesome stuff to watch. He’s been so good at the plate it’s easy to forget he’s one of the best defensive players at any position in the league to go along with it.

Yes, his last I believe.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
They were saying yesterday that Hendry and Wilken would have passed on Lindor to take Baez.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Good, go Spurs.

Spoiler alert, literally the only things I know about Tottenham is that I like the name, have a "mildly" racist fan chant, and their captain is a Kaner.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
What happened?

NVM: Walmat bought them (Stan K).
His wife is part of the Walton Family. Kroenke made his own money. Combined, they are scary wealthy.

Kroenke's son destroyed the Avalanche and the Nuggets are still irrelevant. A brilliant move by Kronke to take the Rams back to LA and build a stadium. Let's see how he does with the Gunners. It's not like they've been killing it recently. You can make an argument that Man United, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, and the Spurs overtook Arsenal ... which is hard to believe.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
His wife is part of the Walton Family. Kroenke made his own money. Combined, they are scary wealthy.

Kroenke's son destroyed the Avalanche and the Nuggets are still irrelevant. A brilliant move by Kronke to take the Rams back to LA and build a stadium. Let's see how he does with the Gunners. It's not like they've been killing it recently. You can make an argument that Man United, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, and the Spurs overtook Arsenal ... which is hard to believe.

Correct. It was a sarcastic remark.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Good, go Spurs.

Spoiler alert, literally the only things I know about Tottenham is that I like the name, have a "mildly" racist fan chant, and their captain is a Kaner.
The key to Tottenham is that they are 1/3 of the major soccer clubs in London. There are a lot more London soccer clubs ... but Arsenal, Chelsea, and Tottenham are the most relevant. Amongst the London clubs, Arsenal is storied franchise. Chelsea, owned by Abramovich and Oligarch supported by Putin, is highly financed. The Spurs are now the default English side owned by English owners. West Ham (known for their Hooligans), Crystal Palace, Fulham, QPR, etc. are the smaller London teams.

Most Americans living and working in London support Chelsea ... because that's where most American Ex Pats reside.

Man United is owned by the Glazer's & public (they own the Bucs). Man City is owned by a Saud Arabia oil sheik. Liverpool (home of the Beatles) is owned by the Boston Red Sox. LeBron has a tiny share. It is widely rumored Liverpool will sign Christian Pulisic next year. I don't know why Americans are Manchester fans. You will never vacation in Manchester. It's like going to Gary, Indiana.

The top six Premier League teams are: Man United, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool. The rest don't matter except Leichester City when the crashed the party one year.

Famous Americans:
* Clint Dempsey made his name at Fulham.
* Tim Howard made his name at Everton.
* Buffalo Grove native, Brian McBride, made his name at Fulham.
* Claudio Reyna made his name with Man City (also the Scottish side Rangers)

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015

Javy also has that head first slide / swim move to avoid tags. Human highlight reel. He's become a 5 tool player and having an incredible season.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Why though? I should have added that to the question because it’s the most important part.

Unless the shoulder thing is a long term concern, he's a better player. Javy is super exciting to watch, but I think you (people, not you, well maybe you, lol) are getting a little carried away by suggesting he's better than Bryant.

Bryant's got a better track record for sure to this point. Javy's lack of plate discipline limits his upside and it's not hard for me to imagine this being a career year for him, or at the very least, this being where he plateaus. I just think Bryant's a much safer bet going forward.

I'm not huge into the advanced stats, so maybe someone will come along and show how I'm an idiot though, lol

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Unless the shoulder thing is a long term concern, he's a better player. Javy is super exciting to watch, but I think you (people, not you, well maybe you, lol) are getting a little carried away by suggesting he's better than Bryant.

Bryant's got a better track record for sure to this point. Javy's lack of plate discipline limits his upside and it's not hard for me to imagine this being a career year for him, or at the very least, this being where he plateaus. I just think Bryant's a much safer bet going forward.

I'm not huge into the advanced stats, so maybe someone will come along and show how I'm an idiot though, lol
You're not. This was a good post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad