Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVIII: Hamels & Kintzler are Cubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Worked okay for Chris Sale and David Price.
You are a fan of experience over control ... I am a fan of control over experience UNLESS the team is a legitimate contender.

I tend to favor the players, but I don't why I'm on the management side on this. It's probably the fan in me talking. Baseball has to change the CBA. Players should be rewarded for good performance.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I meant are they going to keep him there. Hader is who he is because he's coming out of the bullpen. He can pitch around the walks because he's striking out 16/9
He's got a 10.9% walk rate (3.7 per 9), which is what Sale had his first year in the pen. Gives him the chance to see advanced hitting while letting the control develop and not send him on a crash and burn mission. Justus Sheffield is going to do the same thing when he comes up.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
You are a fan of experience over control ... I am a fan of control over experience UNLESS the team is a legitimate contender.

I tend to favor the players, but I don't why I'm on the management side on this. It's probably the fan in me talking. Baseball has to change the CBA. Players should be rewarded for good performance.

And Sale was both. Cost control alongside being one of the most dominant left handers in the league and under 30 years of age. Sox needed to hit a home run here but looks to have failed miserably.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
And Sale was both. Cost control alongside being one of the most dominant left handers in the league and under 30 years of age. Sox needed to hit a home run here but looks to have failed miserably.

Some of you guys just react to the moment and don't understand the big picture.

Moncada has been disappointing so far. We all know that. Does that mean his career is doomed forever? No, of course not. And Michael Kopech is one of the best pitching prospects in the game. This trade is far from being a loss. We won't know for a couple years.

That said, this rebuild does not hinge on one trade or move. You're going to lose some of these trades. And actually, as the team taking on unproven prospects, you're going to lose more of these trades than you win. It's just part of this process that the Sox chose to take.

Even if the Moncada trade does end up a failure...perhaps the Quintana trade will make up for it? Or maybe the Robertson trade. Or what if Nick Madigral becomes a star...and we know the Sox wouldn't of been in position to draft him if they kept sale and Quintana.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Some of you guys just react to the moment and don't understand the big picture.

Moncada has been disappointing so far. We all know that. Does that mean his career is doomed forever? No, of course not. And Michael Kopech is one of the best pitching prospects in the game. This trade is far from being a loss. We won't know for a couple years.

That said, this rebuild does not hinge on one trade or move. You're going to lose some of these trades. And actually, as the team taking on unproven prospects, you're going to lose more of these trades than you win. It's just part of this process that the Sox chose to take.

Even if the Moncada trade does end up a failure...perhaps the Quintana trade will make up for it? Or maybe the Robertson trade. Or what if Nick Madigral becomes a star...and we know the Sox wouldn't of been in position to draft him if they kept sale and Quintana.
I'm losing my faith in Moncada a bit. This coming from one of his biggest fans. I didn't realize exactly how bad he's been outside of a two month stretch spanning September 2017-April 2018. Since May 1, he's been 63/313 for a .198 avg and has 116 K. This is really really bad. I can't deny it, and this is coming from a guy who thinks that if he puts it all together he could be a notch below Trout. His ceiling is unchanged, the question is whether he'll reach it. That is becoming less and less likely. The variance of outcomes with him is so wide, and he could be as bad as a complete bust and nearly as good as Trout, so the likelihood is that he'll end up somewhere in between. Where is the question.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Russell is what he is at this point. When Bryant comes back, run Bote and Zo at 2nd and Baez at SS and play Russell less

It's unfortunate Addison did not take his game up another level. The season the Cubs won the World Series, he came out of nowhere finishing with 95 RBI's in the regular season (3rd highest on the team). In the World Series he finished first on the team in RBI's vs the Indians with 9.

Reactions: TLEH

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Carlos Rodon has been a much needed bright spot for the Sox. Hopefully he can finish the season healthy and enter next season as a legitimate top of the rotation pitcher.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Carlos Rodon has been a much needed bright spot for the Sox. Hopefully he can finish the season healthy and enter next season as a legitimate top of the rotation pitcher.
If Rodon keeps this up, he won't be on the Sox next season. A team like the Braves or Phillies will give them an offer they can't refuse.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
If Rodon keeps this up, he won't be on the Sox next season. A team like the Braves or Phillies will give them an offer they can't refuse.

How about to San Diego for Tatis Jr.? :)

I'd hate to see him moved, but if his clock is ticking and he won't re-sign here, it has to be considered. Especially if he finishes the last 2 months well.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
How about to San Diego for Tatis Jr.? :)

I'd hate to see him moved, but if his clock is ticking and he won't re-sign here, it has to be considered. Especially if he finishes the last 2 months well.
His agent is Boras, so there's about a 99 % chance he's going to the open market. He's here through 2021, so I don't know what the Sox plan to do with him as they have him for one or two years of the window max, and right now it's looking more like one so you have to listen if someone comes up with a good offer. If I'm Hahn I make it known he's available in the offseason, but I won't move him without a good offer. They'd have to get something around the Quintana package to move him. I'd accept a deal that doesn't include a top 10 prospect in the game if they get 3 within the 25-75 range. The Phillies don't match up well with the Sox in this one unless they're willing to trade Bohm, and I don't think they want to move him this early in his pro career. Something like Wright, Gohara and Toussaint or Wright, Gohara, Allard and a lotto ticket would get the job done from my point of view from the Braves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sarava

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Loaiza faces 10 years to life after pleading guilty

Talk about throwing away your life

Some of the finest pitching from a White Sox I ever saw in 03 but he started to revert back to form in 04 and Coop/Sox smartly moved him to Yanks before his value crashed

Landing Conteras who turned out to be our ace in 05 was amazing haul

I'd guess he probably would get around 10 years for a clean record prior (I think?) and pleading guilty. Shame though....wow.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Loaiza faces 10 years to life after pleading guilty

Talk about throwing away your life

Some of the finest pitching from a White Sox I ever saw in 03 but he started to revert back to form in 04 and Coop/Sox smartly moved him to Yanks before his value crashed

Landing Conteras who turned out to be our ace in 05 was amazing haul

He was way overrated even in 2003, and blew a multiple games in late September to Min, when you had a real shot at the division.

I always really disliked loaiza.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
His agent is Boras, so there's about a 99 % chance he's going to the open market. He's here through 2021, so I don't know what the Sox plan to do with him as they have him for one or two years of the window max, and right now it's looking more like one so you have to listen if someone comes up with a good offer. If I'm Hahn I make it known he's available in the offseason, but I won't move him without a good offer. They'd have to get something around the Quintana package to move him. I'd accept a deal that doesn't include a top 10 prospect in the game if they get 3 within the 25-75 range. The Phillies don't match up well with the Sox in this one unless they're willing to trade Bohm, and I don't think they want to move him this early in his pro career. Something like Wright, Gohara and Toussaint or Wright, Gohara, Allard and a lotto ticket would get the job done from my point of view from the Braves.
That sounds like a good plan, but there's no way the ChiSox receive the Quintana package for Rodon. At least not now ... he's had way too many injuries.

The trend appears tougher to get several top prospects for established pitchers nowadays.

That said, I wonder if Boras changes his stance IF UFAs are shut down again next year. Pitchers were not paid last winter.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The Cubs have to win the division by mid September and get home field advantage.

With that ... you might see a Cubs - BoSox World Series. Lots of storylines ...

With Schwarber playing DH in Fenway, the Cubs lineup gets really long too. The BoSox have better starters ... the Cubs have better relievers.

Imagine Chris Sale and Carlos Quintana pitching a World Series game in Chicago. Lester, Rizzo, and Theo goes back to Boston.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
It's very risky for Rodon and Boras to wait for free agency, given his past health issues. But we've seen before, Boras almost always shoots for the moon, whether it seems to be in his client's best interests or not.

But let's see how Rodon finishes the season. You could argue he's been the best pitcher in baseball the last 4-6 weeks. Or certainly one of them. Can he stay healthy the last 2 months, and if so, can he continue to dominate? Odds are that something comes off the track.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
It's very risky for Rodon and Boras to wait for free agency, given his past health issues. But we've seen before, Boras almost always shoots for the moon, whether it seems to be in his client's best interests or not.

But let's see how Rodon finishes the season. You could argue he's been the best pitcher in baseball the last 4-6 weeks. Or certainly one of them. Can he stay healthy the last 2 months, and if so, can he continue to dominate? Odds are that something comes off the track.
Would you give up major young assets for a pitcher with constant arm issues? The great thing is Rodon is signed through 2021 (3+ more years). The Sox should just sit and hope the asset appreciates. If Rodon is a great 2019, then the Sox can get a ton. Or Kopech, Lopez, Giolito, Moncada, Jimenez, Palka, and Anderson all take a big step forward ... and you keep Rodon for the future with more prospects coming up.

I'm not quite sure what you do with Abreu and Garcia. I doubt they fetch much so you probably keep them ... at least up to the trading deadline.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
That Maryland football story is scary. I'm all for tough love, but it appears some UMD players are accusing some members of the training / coaching staff of manslaughter. Some are even implying UMD admin of witness intimidation.

Head coach, DJ Durkin, and S&C coach, Rick Court, once worked for Urban Meyer. Durkin also worked for Jim Harbaugh.

The inside story of a toxic culture at Maryland football

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
The Cubs have to win the division by mid September and get home field advantage. With that ... you might see a Cubs - BoSox World Series. Lots of storylines …With Schwarber playing DH in Fenway, the Cubs lineup gets really long too. The BoSox have better starters ... the Cubs have better relievers. Imagine Chris Sale and Carlos Quintana pitching a World Series game in Chicago. Lester, Rizzo, and Theo goes back to Boston.
This is what I'm rooting for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad