Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVIII: Hamels & Kintzler are Cubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
They are not traditional Cs. Other teams will respect their perimeter game and this will open up space. Teams will have problems with this. On the D side there will not be a problem with them.
PJ Tucker, Al Horford, Kevin Durant, and Tristan Thompson played center in crunch time during the Final Four of the NBA. Nurkic was taken out of the playoffs by Utah. Even Gobert had his issues against Houston.

I don't think you understand. Having Carter OR Markannen on the floor in the playoffs is fine. However, having BOTH of them on the floor makes the team vulnerable.

Perimeter game? All the good teams have a perimeter game. As the playoffs proved ... it's about how defenses can limit the perimeter game. Good teams force defenses to switch. Big men get exposed. Today's playmakers are just too good. That's why teams are going to positionless basketball. The key is to find that 1 seven footer who can protect the rim / finish and run the floor.

Having Lauri OR Carter on the floor is FINE. It's when you put both of them in the floor. They are exposed defensively. Look what happened to Toronto. They got EXPOSED with 2 bigs in the floor.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
PJ Tucker, Al Horford, Kevin Durant, and Tristan Thompson played center in crunch time during the Final Four of the NBA. Nurkic was taken out of the playoffs by Utah. Even Gobert had his issues against Houston.

I don't think you understand. Having Carter OR Markannen on the floor in the playoffs is fine. However, having BOTH of them on the floor makes the team vulnerable.

Perimeter game? All the good teams have a perimeter game. As the playoffs proved ... it's about how defenses can limit the perimeter game. Good teams force defenses to switch. Big men get exposed. Today's playmakers are just too good. That's why teams are going to positionless basketball. The key is to find that 1 seven footer who can protect the rim / finish and run the floor.

Having Lauri OR Carter on the floor is FINE. It's when you put both of them in the floor. They are exposed defensively. Look what happened to Toronto. They got EXPOSED with 2 bigs in the floor.
How will you stop two bigs on the outside? That's something the others don't have.
GS and Hou are good because they have more talent than the others.

Tor lost to LeBron, not because having 2 bigs.

Bulls have an advantage here, just need to find that 1 elite player to contend in the east.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
How will you stop two bigs on the outside? That's something the others don't have.
GS and Hou are good because they have more talent than the others.

Tor lost to LeBron, not because having 2 bigs.

Bulls have an advantage here, just need to find that 1 elite player to contend in the east.
What's the advantage of having 2 bigs in the outside? That defeats the purpose of the size advantage.

I don't know 1 good team in the NBA playing 2 bigs in the playoffs. Who won with that lineup? The Pelicans? Are you suggesting Lauri or Carter are anything like Anthony Davis? Even through Sixers went small WITH Embiid.

Give me a template in the NBA where 2 bigs on the floor work nowadays. Cousins and Davis? Are you saying Lauri and Carter are future All NBAs? And even then they weren't close to the top of the West.

Unless you are saying the Bulls are going to shift the paradigm, I don't see any evidence the NBA going back to having 2 bigs on the floor together. In order for it to work, Carter or Lauri will need to be able to defend quick wings on the perimeter. They don't have that kind of athleticism. They don't really have the athleticsm to be elite rim protectors either.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
NBA as it is now will not be the same going forward. Wait until GS is done having the best shooter of all time.

I'm not saying they will be like Davis, I'm saying that they need to add an elite 1,2 or 3 to them. Best chance to do it have success and trade for one.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The East is just utterly laughable regardless. As far as I'm concerned, this is almost like the 1968-70 Stanley Cup playoffs, where everybody and their dog knew that the actual championship was in the conference finals and the technical championship just delayed the parade. Celtics are the only halfway decent threat in my opinion there, and I'd probably bet on at least four or even six western teams to beat them.

Rooh

GENERATIONAL TANK COMMANDER
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
Wth is Magic doing with that Lakers team, team is a disaster. Simultaneously having the best and worst offseason.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Wth is Magic doing with that Lakers team, team is a disaster. Simultaneously having the best and worst offseason.

I think this year is just kind of a “waste year” before putting together a solid roster the following year. Don’t like the idea of LBJ throwing away years at this point in his career, but they could put something one hell of a squad moving ahead.

Rooh

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
Hopefully Bulls don't actually sign Jabari Parker, he's a terrible player, probably the worst defending wing player in the NBA. A season where I have to watch Jabari Parker and Zach Lavine on defense together...no.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
What do you think he's doing? He's telling the Spurs to suck it. LeBron gave him a 3/4 year commitment ... which is pretty much ends his career in LA. He wants to see his kids graduate from HS in the Sierra Canyons.

I guess the Sixers could try to swoop in and try to land Kawhi and sign him long term ... but I get the feeling Kawhi wants to be in LA with the Lakers. That will give him a massive sneaker deal, especially if he's with LeBron.

With all these 1 year deals AND stretching out or trading away Deng's deal next year (perhaps for a 1st rounder), it will give the Lakers an opportunity for TWO MAX PLAYERS.

Next year, the Lakers can have:

* LeBron, Kawhi, Butler (I expect Klay to re sign with the Warriors), Ingram, Ball, Hart, McGee, Wagner, KCP, and Kuzma.

=> How is anybody beating that team? The Warriors will probably lose Draymond next year. And don't expect Boogie to re sign with the Warriors next year.

It will be interesting how attractive center are in the NBA. OKC will definitely try to trade Steven Adams this summer due to the luxury tax. I suspect they signed Nerlens Noel as his cheaper replacement.

Rooh

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
Schweet! GO WARRIORS!!! Lebron should have just stayed in the East (least he's guaranteed of a Finals appearance due to lack of competition on that side of the fence).
This is exciting to you? This is pretty damn awful unless your a giant hater of the NBA, this is real bad for the league.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Schweet! GO WARRIORS!!! Lebron should have just stayed in the East (least he's guaranteed of a Finals appearance due to lack of competition on that side of the fence).
I don't think you realize the Lakers long term plan. It appears Kawhi wants to go to the Lakers due to a lucrative sneaker deal next year. When they get rid of Deng next year, they will have possibly 2 MAX slots available. I'm sure they will target either Jimmy Butler (who wants to play in LA) or Klay Thompson (who grew up in LA when his father was a Laker).

They will also have Ingram, Kuzma, Ball, and Hart in rookie deals. They are going to be scary.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
This is exciting to you? This is pretty damn awful unless your a giant hater of the NBA, this is real bad for the league.
It's not the Warriors you should be worried about. Heck, Durant could even opt out and sign with the Lakers next year with Kawhi.

Rooh

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
What do you think he's doing? He's telling the Spurs to suck it. LeBron gave him a 3/4 year commitment ... which is pretty much ends his career in LA. He wants to see his kids graduate from HS in the Sierra Canyons.

I guess the Sixers could try to swoop in and try to land Kawhi and sign him long term ... but I get the feeling Kawhi wants to be in LA with the Lakers. That will give him a massive sneaker deal, especially if he's with LeBron.

With all these 1 year deals AND stretching out or trading away Deng's deal next year (perhaps for a 1st rounder), it will give the Lakers an opportunity for TWO MAX PLAYERS.

Next year, the Lakers can have:

* LeBron, Kawhi, Butler (I expect Klay to re sign with the Warriors), Ingram, Ball, Hart, McGee, Wagner, KCP, and Kuzma.

=> How is anybody beating that team? The Warriors will probably lose Draymond next year. And don't expect Boogie to re sign with the Warriors next year.

It will be interesting how attractive center are in the NBA. OKC will definitely try to trade Steven Adams this summer due to the luxury tax. I suspect they signed Nerlens Noel as his cheaper replacement.
Wasting a whole season with a bunch of young players while in the last stages of your prime isn't a great idea imo. Butler is reportedly going to re up with Minnesota on a max extension on the 11th, they can get Kawhi sure, but I doubt a team of an aging Lebron, Kawhi and young players is enough to take down the Warriors.

With that being said, I have more of a problem with who Magic decided to sign this offseason, he's signing trash players like Rondo, Lance and then McGee, KCP are meh. That's a lot of high ego, and conflicting personalities on one team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca