Other Chicago and General Sports Thread XXII - Cubs/Sox/Bulls/TEAM USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
But that's just their football deal, you're not accounting for what they're getting from the ACC at all here.

TV wise, ND adds nothing to BTN because they're not adding any new markets if they come in. Maryland and Rutgers are being added so BTN can penetrate in New York, DC, and Baltimore. That's the only reason they picked those 2 schools.

Well some would say the Big-10 already did that with adding Penn State. PSU has a huge presence here on the East Coast and before the scandal often plundered New Jersey and Maryland for top football talent. Maryland frankly is a joke of a program. ND has a huge following in NY as well. That's why their deal with Syracuse has them playing Syracuse on the "road" at Giants Stadium or whatever it's called now and not in Syracuse. There will be 15,000 Syracuse fans there and 60,000 ND fans.

No matter if ND stays independent, or aligns more with the ACC or any other conference, they will never, ever hurt for money. People don't understand how much moolah that school takes in, even outside of athletics. But the ACC deal was a shrewd move, they got the ACC cash and also got to keep most of the flexibility with their football schedule.

It worked out well for the ACC too, they added a midwestern (but nationally followed) school that has averaged 9 wins in football under Kelly. The mens basketball team has made the NCAA tournament several years running. The womens basketball is a perennial title contender. ND's hockey team is consistently in the top-25 and other sports like lacrosse and soccer are both very successful. And most importantly they graduate the overwhelming majority of their athletes. Worked out for both parties I'd say.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Well some would say the Big-10 already did that with adding Penn State. PSU has a huge presence here on the East Coast and before the scandal often plundered New Jersey and Maryland for top football talent. Maryland frankly is a joke of a program. ND has a huge following in NY as well. That's why their deal with Syracuse has them playing Syracuse on the "road" at Giants Stadium or whatever it's called now and not in Syracuse. There will be 15,000 Syracuse fans there and 60,000 ND fans.

Uhh...no.

That's before the Big Ten even existed, the additions aren't similar in any way.

Penn St was added because it is (was) a great football program at a university in similar ranking to most Big Ten schools. Maryland and Rutgers are 100% about BTN subscriptions.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
There's an absolute grind of games coming up, will be interesting to see where everyone shakes out after the start of January.

Yeah, the glut of games is always insane this time of year. I looked the other day and I think most if not all teams have 9 games from 11/21 until NYD. And 4 of those are on or after 12/21. Arsenal and Chelsea play on Monday the 23rd and then have games every 3 days for 9 days :laugh:

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Yeah, the glut of games is always insane this time of year. I looked the other day and I think most if not all teams have 9 games from 11/21 until NYD. And 4 of those are on or after 12/21. Arsenal and Chelsea play on Monday the 23rd and then have games every 3 days for 9 days :laugh:

Liverpool has a crazy grind. @Spurs 12/15, Cardiff 12/21, @City 12/26, @Chelsea 12/29, Hull City 1/1. Ugh.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Liverpool has a crazy grind. @Spurs 12/15, Cardiff 12/21, @City 12/26, @Chelsea 12/29, Hull City 1/1. Ugh.

Date wise that's every team, unless you really want to argue playing on the 14th is a huge advantage than the 15th. Those 3 road games altogther though...

41452627.jpg

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Date wise that's every team, unless you really want to argue playing on the 14th is a huge advantage than the 15th. Those 3 road games altogther though...

41452627.jpg

Ya, my comment was more about the opponents....Best case scenario you get 6 points there

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Also it makes me wonder why the Phillies would be so quick to trade a 25 year old that just had a pretty good rookie season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad