Other Chicago and General Sports Thread XXII - Cubs/Sox/Bulls/TEAM USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Every Big Ten team makes more money off the Big Ten Network than Notre Dame makes off their national deal with NBC, or at least that was the case as of a few years ago. The huge amount of money that schools get with that contract is essentially the sole reason why Maryland decided to join over fan opposition.

But that's just their football deal, you're not accounting for what they're getting from the ACC at all here.

TV wise, ND adds nothing to BTN because they're not adding any new markets if they come in. Maryland and Rutgers are being added so BTN can penetrate in New York, DC, and Baltimore. That's the only reason they picked those 2 schools.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
Why would ND join any conference, huge tv contract and they keep their bowl money. They'd have to be really bad for a long time to lose both.

I don't believe their TV deal brings in as much as you'd think, when compared to the current conference TV deals. They also haven't made many BCS bowls which is where the real money is.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Big Ten (& future Big Ten) and Chicagoland bowl games:

12/26 - Poinsettia Bowl - NIU vs Utah State
12/27 - Military Bowl - Maryland vs Marshall
12/27 - Texas Bowl - Minnesota vs Syracuse
12/28 - Pinstripe Bowl - Notre Dame vs Rutgers
12/28 - Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl - Michigan vs Kansas State
1/1 - Gator Bowl - Nebraska vs Georgia
1/1 - Capitol One Bowl - Wisconsin vs South Carolina
1/1 - Outback Bowl - Iowa vs LSU
1/1 - Rose Bowl - Michigan State vs Stanford
1/3 - Orange Bowl - Ohio State vs Clemson

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Think I'm going to go to the Chick Fil A Bowl - Texas A&M vs Duke. Never been to a bowl game before, and it's on NYE. Tickets should be reasonable. Don't think either of those teams travel that well...

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Well, at least Duke probably won't. Maybe TAMU fans might not as well due to disappointment, though I wouldn't necessarily count on it.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Tickets starting on StubHub at $50, which isn't too bad. It's also on NYE, and after a disappointing season like A&M had, you want to go all the way to Atlanta for a bowl game on NYE vs Duke? I don't think I would, if I were them.

I'd even be fine paying $50 a ticket. Better than going out to some overcrowded bar on NYE anyway.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Tickets starting on StubHub at $50, which isn't too bad. It's also on NYE, and after a disappointing season like A&M had, you want to go all the way to Atlanta for a bowl game on NYE vs Duke? I don't think I would, if I were them.

I'd even be fine paying $50 a ticket. Better than going out to some overcrowded bar on NYE anyway.

You should definitely go for that man. That's a pretty decent deal and it would be a pretty cool experience. Plus you get to see Manziel.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
You should definitely go for that man. That's a pretty decent deal and it would be a pretty cool experience. Plus you get to see Manziel.

Yeah, Manziel was the clincher for me. He might be a massive dbag, but I like him anyway. Next Bears starting QB! :sarcasm:, or maybe not. :laugh:

Normally I get offered a ticket from someone who gets them through work that doesn't want to go, but I'm sure this will be the year that doesn't happen, of course. :laugh:

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
personally, I'm not sure manziel will be very good in the NFL. Though, if the bears draft him in the second or later(doubtful), i wouldn't be opposed. really don't like his attitude/personality though.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
personally, I'm not sure manziel will be very good in the NFL. Though, if the bears draft him in the second or later(doubtful), i wouldn't be opposed. really don't like his attitude/personality though.

I think it will really depend where he winds up. I think he definitely needs some offensive weapons around him to work with, more specifically, a good WR and TE. I think he could get by without a decent RB, with his running ability. I think the attitude/personality thing is overblown, and not as big as an issue as one might think. He could be a star in the NFL, or hated by his teammates and out of the league before you know it. Guess we'll just have to wait and see who grooms him, and how much he matures.

I'm not going to say there is no way he slips to the 2nd round, because the NFL draft can get really whacky, but I'd expect him to be picked before we even make our first round selection. No way he lasts until the 2nd round, let alone our second round pick, IMO.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
I think it will really depend where he winds up. I think he definitely needs some offensive weapons around him to work with, more specifically, a good WR and TE. I think he could get by without a decent RB, with his running ability. I think the attitude/personality thing is overblown, and not as big as an issue as one might think. He could be a star in the NFL, or hated by his teammates and out of the league before you know it. Guess we'll just have to wait and see who grooms him, and how much he matures.

I'm not going to say there is no way he slips to the 2nd round, because the NFL draft can get really whacky, but I'd expect him to be picked before we even make our first round selection. No way he lasts until the 2nd round, let alone our second round pick, IMO.

I don't think his attitude is overblown at all. This is a guy who got buttsore that he got ticketed for parking on the wrong side of the street then went on twitter and bashed his own college town. I think he's an immature crybaby who's had everything handed to him his whole life. IMO, he has a lot of maturing to do before he'll get any respect in the NFL.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I don't think his attitude is overblown at all. This is a guy who got buttsore that he got ticketed for parking on the wrong side of the street then went on twitter and bashed his own college town. I think he's an immature crybaby who's had everything handed to him his whole life. IMO, he has a lot of maturing to do before he'll get any respect in the NFL.

We'll see. I definitely think he would be best served with another year in college, but doubt he sticks around.

And plenty of athletes Tweet dumb things like that, I'd hardly start with using that incident against him. Can't say I know what has or has been handed to him in life, from a football level, so can't comment on that part.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I think he could work in the right system, but that system would definitely have to be built around his strengths, standing in the pocket not being one of them.

Cleveland would be an interesting fit.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
Speaking of TAMU, how about Mike Evans? That guy is an absolute boss. College football has so many good receivers. Evans, DGB, Cooper, and Watkins are just four of many.

Elvis P

Night Gallery
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Retired managers Joe Torre, Tony La Russa and Bobby Cox have been unanimously elected to the baseball Hall of Fame by the expansion era committee.

Each of the inductees won more than 2,000 games in managerial careers that spanned more than four decades. Torre became the fifth manager to win at least four World Series titles. La Russa won championships with Oakland and St. Louis. Cox led Atlanta to one championship and 14 straight division titles.

The announcement was made Monday at the winter meetings. They will be inducted July 27 in Cooperstown, N.Y., along with any players chosen by the Baseball Writers' Association of America. Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine, 300-game winners, are among the newcomers to the writers' ballot, with results announced Jan. 8.
http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/stor...rre-tony-la-russa-bobby-cox-elected-hall-fame

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
There's an absolute grind of games coming up, will be interesting to see where everyone shakes out after the start of January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad