Other AZ Sports Thread 7: Sun Devils, Suns, Lumberjacks, Cardinals, Dbacks, Rattlers, Wildcats, etc.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Safety and security they say...sounds like BS.

Last edited:

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I mean, why can't they plan for it ahead of time, get some gates up to clear a path for the layers to drive out but also allow the fans? Pretty sure this won't stop people from showing up.

That's what I was thinking. If this was a civil rights protest, they'd figure out how to make it happen, but it's only sports. In Phoenix, there are few championships to celebrate.

Reactions: awfulwaffle

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
That's what I was thinking. If this was a civil rights protest, they'd figure out how to make it happen, but it's only sports. In Phoenix, there are few championships to celebrate.

If it were a civil rights protest, it would be somewhere in the city with nearby parking. Sports team planes typically taxi to a place behind Swift Aviation, which can only be accessed off 24th St. on Old Tower Rd. I've been back there many times photographing airplanes. Check out a map. There's very limited parking east of 24th St., and certainly not enough to handle many thousands that would show up after a Finals win.

While "meeting the team at the airport" is logistically next to impossible in this case, I wish they'd come up with something resembling it. There are large, unoccupied lots near the airport, so maybe the team and the city could come up with a creative solution rather than just nixing the entire greeting.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
While "meeting the team at the airport" is logistically next to impossible in this case, I wish they'd come up with something resembling it. There are large, unoccupied lots near the airport, so maybe the team and the city could come up with a creative solution rather than just nixing the entire greeting.

Land at Williams-Gateway in Mesa. Former Air Force base, plenty of open space, and it's closer to Scottsdale. :sarcasm:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Foster is the ref tonight.

A reminder:
Foster is the official who received 134 phone calls from disgraced referee Tim Donaghy between October 2006 and April 2007, as originally reported by FOX News. That was the same period during which Donaghy admitted to betting on NBA games. The report said that Donaghy called Foster more than any other ref and that he didn’t call any other official more than 13 times.
Donaghy’s calls to Foster took place immediately before and after games Donaghy was officiating 54 times.​

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I tried to watch a little of this series but the NBA just sucks now. It's pass it around until someone takes a jump shot with the occasional pick and roll. No post up game. Any physical play and the players, both offense and defense flop around worse than soccer players. Even fast breaks aren't fun. I think a 3 point contest would be more entertaining. I guess I just don't get it anymore. Watching a big, strong guy like Ayton play such a lazy, unaggressive style on both ends of the court is annoying. I can't get through more than 5 to 10 minutes.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I tried to watch a little of this series but the NBA just sucks now. It's pass it around until someone takes a jump shot with the occasional pick and roll. No post up game. Any physical play and the players, both offense and defense flop around worse than soccer players. Even fast breaks aren't fun. I think a 3 point contest would be more entertaining. I guess I just don't get it anymore. Watching a big, strong guy like Ayton play such a lazy, unaggressive style on both ends of the court is annoying. I can't get through more than 5 to 10 minutes.

Yep. Game is boring. Maybe I'm an outlier, but I also find the NFL boring.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I still love the NFL but the "hit too hard" penalties make it harder to watch. If the players start flopping to try and draw them all the time, that will be it for me.

There are rules in the NFL that I don't even know why they are rules. For example, the whole eligible receiver thing. Just think how crazy fun it would be if every player was an eligible receiver? Is there any downside other than the fact that there would be more chaos and scoring?

Reactions: RemoAZ

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
There are rules in the NFL that I don't even know why they are rules. For example, the whole eligible receiver thing. Just think how crazy fun it would be if every player was an eligible receiver? Is there any downside other than the fact that there would be more chaos and scoring?

I will say, there is such a thing as too much scoring and chaos. Did you ever watch Arena Football? Sure, it's fun to go (I went often in the 90s both here and in Orlando) - but in a "hey this is minor league it doesn't really matter" way. Watching Pac-12 football borders on Arena Football (and lately, the 56-49 games at the highest level) and isn't enjoyable non-live. It's like "where the F's the D?"

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Fun fact - one of the two co-founders of Footprint has been a regular in the Chandler and Gilbert beer leagues for about 15 years. I had no idea what the guy did until now but his name jumped off the page when I saw it. Ive probably played against the guy at least 50 times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad