Other AZ Sports Thread 7: Sun Devils, Suns, Lumberjacks, Cardinals, Dbacks, Rattlers, Wildcats, etc.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I keep watching the Diamondbacks' free fall, and I'm starting to get the sense that this D'Backs team might be the worst Arizona team in history.

Between the garbage rule changes, trash Diamondbacks teams, and joyless analytics run amok evolution of the game my love of baseball has kinda died.
It was previously my #1 sport.

I haven't even watched a game in 2 years and I would previously watch all 162.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Between the garbage rule changes, trash Diamondbacks teams, and joyless analytics run amok evolution of the game my love of baseball has kinda died.

Which rule changes are you referring to?

I don't think the rule tinkering to speed up the game will have the desired effect.

Here's my idea to increase fan interest: shorten the regular season and increase the playoffs to mimic the NHL and NBA; 16 MLB teams will make the post-season. These changes would have two main impacts.
1. The shorter regular season will mean each game has more meaning. Fans tend to lose interest over the long 162 game slog.
2. More playoff teams mean more fan bases will stay engaged throughout the season. Many fair-weather fans check out in August (sometimes June :laugh:) because their team is so far out of contention.

Also, more playoff games might actually mean more TV/stadium revenue that will offset lost revenue during the shorter regular season. Teams that don't make the playoffs will complain of lost revenue, but the league could come up with some type of revenue-sharing scheme to compensate.

Many good teams fail to make the playoffs each season, and the one-game wildcard play-in is a joke.

To increase offensive production, MLB is conducting a live experiment in an independent league of moving the pitching mound back 12 inches. This should increase runs, and provide pitchers an additional 0.0068493 seconds of reaction time to avoid getting decked by a liner up the middle. :thumbu:

I consider myself a traditionalist, however, MLB must adapt to survive. The game is dying.

https://www.wtkr.com/sports/mlb-will-have-minor-league-experiment-with-moving-back-mound

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Same. I don't even listen to games on the radio anymore, and Greg Schulte is one of the best to ever call baseball games.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
One of the greatest games in Arizona sports history. Love me some Cam Payne….hockey mentality, Book too.

Reactions: moosemeister

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Is that the equivalent of scoring off the faceoff? Can't say I've ever seen that to win a playoff game.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Do the Suns ever go retro with the original with old west lettering? That would be cool. Not a fan of whatever they were wearing last night. Too busy for my taste.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
2012 was a good year. Who was at that game?

I was at all of the home playoff games.

Back on the Suns, I got stuck downtown a couple years ago in a situation where I'd have to wait around a few hours, so I went alone to a Suns game. It was a lost season, and the arena was completely lifeless. While the teams dribbled the ball up the court, they played really bad music, or just a beat. You couldn't hear the ball or the shoes on the court. I hope they cut that shit out now that the team is good.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

Back on the Suns, I got stuck downtown a couple years ago in a situation where I'd have to wait around a few hours, so I went alone to a Suns game. It was a lost season, and the arena was completely lifeless. While the teams dribbled the ball up the court, they played really bad music, or just a beat. You couldn't hear the ball or the shoes on the court. I hope they cut that shit out now that the team is good.

I saw some Suns games in the early 80s when Larry Nance and Walter Davis were on the roster. Super exciting atmosphere.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

They still play music and such every time up and down the court.

One thing that bothered me was the other night, the suns are going on a run, and scoring quickly on their offensive possessions. Think it was 6-0 run, and the crowd was into it. On their feet and cheering really loud, and they decide to play the "defense" beat. Horrible timing, crowd is full on into it and the team is feeding off of it. Let the fans do their thing.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
They still play music and such every time up and down the court.

One thing that bothered me was the other night, the suns are going on a run, and scoring quickly on their offensive possessions. Think it was 6-0 run, and the crowd was into it. On their feet and cheering really loud, and they decide to play the "defense" beat. Horrible timing, crowd is full on into it and the team is feeding off of it. Let the fans do their thing.

It's the NBA...defense?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I saw some Suns games in the early 80s when Larry Nance and Walter Davis were on the roster. Super exciting atmosphere.

My family had season tickets for those seasons. That was back when we lived close to the VMC. Good times.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
My family had season tickets for those seasons. That was back when we lived close to the VMC. Good times.

Loudest building I've ever been in, which is also the reason the State Fair concerts sound so awful (other than the bands usually sucking). Danny Ainge was playing for Portland when the Coliseum was rocking, and plugged his ears. Of course, that only provoked the crowd to get louder.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Jesus. Even this Basketball newbie could see Booker is playing like absolute garbage. Missing every shot he took, and turning the ball over every other touch. Why continue to feed him the ball? Why are they forcing the offense through him when he’s obviously having a bad game. Is this something that happens often in basketball? I feel like I’m taking crazy pills watching this crap. As far as I can tell it’s just bad coaching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad