Other AZ Sports Thread 7: Sun Devils, Suns, Lumberjacks, Cardinals, Dbacks, Rattlers, Wildcats, etc.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
What type of celebration for a no hitter that doesn't count as a no hitter? I'm still going to White Castle.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Suns have tied the series back up. Paul looks healthier, and davis got hurt. Home court advantage for us, team needs to shoot better from 3 in game 5.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
The best part about beating the Lakers is that Lebron basically gave up multiple times in the series. At one point last night he just walked back to the defensive side of the court, after the Suns had already put up a shot and managed to get the offensive rebound. Ayton going to have to have a monster series against the Nuggets. Not necessarily offensively, but holding strong in the paint and dominating the boards.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
When it comes to basketball, I'm about as knowledgeable as that idiot who sits behind me screaming "shoot!" during an entire power play. I do know enough to recognize an ass-kicking of the Nuggets in Game 2. As long as their games don't coincide with any random NHL playoff game, I'll watch the Suns now.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
When it comes to basketball, I'm about as knowledgeable as that idiot who sits behind me screaming "shoot!" during an entire power play. I do know enough to recognize an ass-kicking of the Nuggets in Game 2. As long as their games don't coincide with any random NHL playoff game, I'll watch the Suns now.

And, from now on there should rarely if ever be more than 1 NHL playoff game per day. (Of course, if these Suns turn into a Barkley- or Nash-era level of enthusiasm, which it now looks like they well might, that isn't gonna help *us* get any more fans...)

DVR works even better for basketball than hockey, btw, you can whiz through an NBA game in a little over an hour just by skipping the commercials and free throws (I know it helps their $$$ but they have 3 minute timeouts vs hockey's 2 minutes; it's annoying)

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
And, from now on there should rarely if ever be more than 1 NHL playoff game per day. (Of course, if these Suns turn into a Barkley- or Nash-era level of enthusiasm, which it now looks like they well might, that isn't gonna help *us* get any more fans...)

DVR works even better for basketball than hockey, btw, you can whiz through an NBA game in a little over an hour just by skipping the commercials and free throws (I know it helps their $$$ but they have 3 minute timeouts vs hockey's 2 minutes; it's annoying)

I wonder how much it really harms the Coyotes when the Suns are popular. Sure, people might have a sports entertainment budget, but how much overlap is there between hockey and basketball fandom?

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I wonder how much it really harms the Coyotes when the Suns are popular. Sure, people might have a sports entertainment budget, but how much overlap is there between hockey and basketball fandom?
I think it helps, a lot. This city is going bananas over the Suns right now. That should show AM what a winning team can do for attendance. I remember being at Rock Bottom Brewery at Desert Ridge in May 2012 during the conference finals against the LA Kings. Every big screen had the game on and the packed crowd in the bar was going nuts. Winning is the secret ingredient, we just don't see it yet.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Sarver shelled out (for once) and scooped up Monty Williams with a five year deal when he was a very sought after coaching candidate. The Lakers wanted him too. James Jones played 14 seasons and never once was one of them a losing year plus three rings. LeBron and Kevin Love both called him the best teammate they've ever had.

You need stability and the right people to pull out of the basement.

Last edited:

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
I watched a lot of Suns games during the Steve Nash era, and then stopped pretty abruptly about ten years ago. After watching Game 3, I realized that the changes in the sport are anything but gradual for me.

Like hockey, the athleticism and precision of the game has greatly improved. Maybe this is just a Suns thing, but the player movement to get open, and speed an accuracy of passes has changed dramatically. Much of the reliance on a big lumbering guy who stands under the net to dunk is gone, and that's also an improvement in my view. One thing I don't see as an improvement is the reliance on the 3-point shot, which seems to be the entire point of many of the offensive setups. I get it, but I don't find it entertaining to watch.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I will say one thing - the commentators were right in that the fake-pass highly-spun dribble/bounce pass to himself for a layup by CP did indeed have me rewinding to check "did I see what I think I just saw?/how did he do that?" a few times. Then trying to figure out if it was legal or not.

Reactions: Summer Rose

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I keep watching the Diamondbacks' free fall, and I'm starting to get the sense that this D'Backs team might be the worst Arizona team in history.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad