Other Arizona Sports Thread 4: DBacks, Cardinals, Suns, Wildcats, Sun Devils, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
So LA gets the Rams and SF get Chip Kelly as the big news stories in the NFC West for next season and it's not over yet as another team could end up in LA and shake up the NFC West.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
So LA gets the Rams and SF get Chip Kelly as the big news stories in the NFC West for next season and it's not over yet as another team could end up in LA and shake up the NFC West.

How would another team that moves to LA if it's the Chargers or the Raiders shake up the NFC West? They would just stay in the division they are in currently.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
How would another team that moves to LA if it's the Chargers or the Raiders shake up the NFC West? They would just stay in the division they are in currently.

Chargers and Raiders are both in the AFC West, so they wouldn't affect the NFC West. IF you had Jacksonville move to LA instead of St. Louis, you may have to rearrange the teams. As it is, with the Chargers and Raiders, the're only changing latitude within the same time zone.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Well in theory if neither the Chargers nor Raiders go another team could eventually move to LA, but I don't think any of the other 12 NFC teams not in the west are at all realistically candidates to move in the next 10-20 years. The only ones I can even make a case for would have been New Orleans or Tampa Bay . maybe Atlanta but they're getting a new palace to replace the ga dome I've read

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
ASU released new renderings of the stadium renovation

AYQKSVCZSHRXKIX.20160208204224.jpg

More here: https://www.thesundevils.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?PALBID=1770159&DB_OEM_ID=30300

Basically going from a 1970s experience to modern amenities.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Love the culture Hurley is bringing to asu. If you go to am asu game expect to cheer. Seem him a few times after a big shot or play punting his hands on the air to get louder when they are getting back on d.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Love the culture Hurley is bringing to asu. If you go to am asu game expect to cheer. Seem him a few times after a big shot or play punting his hands on the air to get louder when they are getting back on d.

I honestly think ASU fans are still in honeymoon phase with Hurley. ASU is still 11th in the Pac12. While they have a nice win over A&M, they haven't been impressive anywhere else. Hurley's fiery attitude is for some reason loved by the fans, but he leads the nation in technical fouls (no official stat on this, but I can't imagine anyone having more than Bobby). Hurley needs to learn when to shut the **** up to refs. He's gotten T'ed up a few times in close game this year, and eventually ASU fans will get sick of it.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I honestly think ASU fans are still in honeymoon phase with Hurley. ASU is still 11th in the Pac12. While they have a nice win over A&M, they haven't been impressive anywhere else. Hurley's fiery attitude is for some reason loved by the fans, but he leads the nation in technical fouls (no official stat on this, but I can't imagine anyone having more than Bobby). Hurley needs to learn when to shut the **** up to refs. He's gotten T'ed up a few times in close game this year, and eventually ASU fans will get sick of it.

I agree about the learning when to shut up. But he fights for his team, players react to that. It'll be interesting after a couple years what will be happening. If he recruits well the team should be better. As long as the team improves the fan participation should get better. I envy other schools that have packed agenda and are loud. The coach shouldn't have to try and pump up the crowd. But good on him for doing that here.

PerpetualTankYear

Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I agree about the learning when to shut up. But he fights for his team, players react to that. It'll be interesting after a couple years what will be happening. If he recruits well the team should be better. As long as the team improves the fan participation should get better. I envy other schools that have packed agenda and are loud. The coach shouldn't have to try and pump up the crowd. But good on him for doing that here.

I agree, He clearly has passion and wants to do well. But he hasn't done anything to show that he's a good basketball coach. Sendek was known as a great X and O coach, but not a great recruiter, who took ASU to a few NCAA tournaments, and a middle of the Pac finish the last 3 years.

This year's ASU time is arguably more talented than last year's, but have worse results. Bobby's coaching is suspect at times (ASU is the worst 3point shooting team in the conference, yet leads the conference in 3s attempted) but he has a decent recruiting class coming to Tempe next year. ASU might even be able to get Thon Maker, who's a top 20 recruit this year (but also has one of the weirdest recruiting situations that I've ever seen).

Bobby could be good for ASU in the long run, but I'm just saying that ASU fans shouldn't give him a free pass on everything right now because he's the shiny new toy.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I agree, He clearly has passion and wants to do well. But he hasn't done anything to show that he's a good basketball coach. Sendek was known as a great X and O coach, but not a great recruiter, who took ASU to a few NCAA tournaments, and a middle of the Pac finish the last 3 years.

This year's ASU time is arguably more talented than last year's, but have worse results. Bobby's coaching is suspect at times (ASU is the worst 3point shooting team in the conference, yet leads the conference in 3s attempted) but he has a decent recruiting class coming to Tempe next year. ASU might even be able to get Thon Maker, who's a top 20 recruit this year (but also has one of the weirdest recruiting situations that I've ever seen).

Bobby could be good for ASU in the long run, but I'm just saying that ASU fans shouldn't give him a free pass on everything right now because he's the shiny new toy.

College basketball is all about recruiting. You can be great at the x and o, but the great teams have players that are 1 and done. Herb got a couple guys that helped them compete, but it wasn't a team that could compete regularly. I hope you're wrong about Hurley, obviously. Do far it's a good start. We fight hard and beat good teams. Recruiting is the key over the next couple years.

PerpetualTankYear

Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
College basketball is all about recruiting. You can be great at the x and o, but the great teams have players that are 1 and done. Herb got a couple guys that helped them compete, but it wasn't a team that could compete regularly. I hope you're wrong about Hurley, obviously. Do far it's a good start. We fight hard and beat good teams. Recruiting is the key over the next couple years.

I think you're over valuing recruiting a little bit. Cal, for example, has possibly the most talented team in the pac-12 on paper. Including two top-10 recruits from last year and they're 50/50 in making the tournament. Something that Herb Sendek's ASU teams had was experience. The seniors who have been there four or five years are probably more valuable than the 18 year old kid trying to figure out the college game. While the Kid has all the skill in the world, the 22 year old has the experience, maturity, and strength to be better. Oregon and Arizona are senior/junior heavy teams and are leading the pac.

I like ASU's class right now, though. Two top-100, 4 year guys, who won't do much next year, but when they're seniors they'll be a scary team.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

Replace basketball with hockey and you just described 90% of youth hockey coaches whose teams I ref for... :laugh:

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Baseball has become more and more boring over the years and MLB continues to go out of its way to do whatever it takes to get others into the games and that includes the radical food choices now being offered at the games.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Cardinals shed a bunch of dead money and have about $20 million in cap space to work with.

Should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad