Other Arizona Sports Thread 4: DBacks, Cardinals, Suns, Wildcats, Sun Devils, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
D'Backs are now proud owners of some of the worst uniforms not just in baseball, but all of sports:

E19YA0p.jpg

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Gradient is always a bad idea....buuuut....the team is Rattlesnake themed. So, I mean, if there's ANY team in pro sports that can get away with some gradient, it's the DBacks. Nice to see at least ONE unique looking team kit out there. Buccaneers gradient is the WORST but it kinda works a little in snake scales. I feel like San Jose Sharks could get away with a little, too.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
That's really cool we got Greinke.

As for the uniforms, I dunno, I might be in the minority here, but I like them a lot. I've always been a fan of radical, non-traditional uniforms (within reason of course)

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
DBacks win the bid war as the Dodgers could be making a few steps backwards now given the recent offseason moves.

Could 2016 be the season the team gets back into the post season?

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
That's really cool we got Greinke.

As for the uniforms, I dunno, I might be in the minority here, but I like them a lot. I've always been a fan of radical, non-traditional uniforms (within reason of course)

I agree. Seeing them on the field I think they will look better.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Cardinals improve to 10-2. I only got home in time for the fourth quarter, was there any particular reason Stanton was playing QB instead of Palmer other than already having an insurmountable lead already?

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Cardinals improve to 10-2. I only got home in time for the fourth quarter, was there any particular reason Stanton was playing QB instead of Palmer other than already having an insurmountable lead already?

That's the reason. BA put Stanton in with about 4 minutes to go.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Rams are dirty ****s, that's why. Comfortable win at least.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Thinking about the Greinke signing, and it seems like that's the biggest FA acquisition at least since Randy Johnson, maybe biggest overall in AZ history.

Not just in terms of dollar value but significance and the market situation. When Randy signed the FA market wasn't as insane as it is now and RJ's Peak/Prime was here.

Greinke should have won the Cy Young over Arrietta, though granted it was a close race. The Diamondbacks from where I sit brought in the top pitcher in the game last year not just a top pitcher, which Randy was at the time in 1999.

The Suns and Cards don't really have a comparable FA signing. Nash might be the closest but he was just barely entering his prime at that point.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
D'Backs traded Inciarte, Swanson (#1 overall), and Blair for Miller :facepalm:

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
D'Backs traded Inciarte, Swanson (#1 overall), and Blair for Miller :facepalm:

That facepalm was my initial reaction, but I commend them for going all-in to make a run in the post-season in the next two or three seasons. Lots of ifs, but if Miller can eat up 6+ innings per game with an ERA around 3, and Corbin can be a respectable #3 in the rotation, I don't think a good run is out of the question. They've already proven they're capable both offensively and defensively; it has just been a matter of not having to kill those middle relief pitchers. Maybe these changes were all they needed to make.

They may have got fleeced by Atlanta in the long term, but I like the outlook for the next few seasons.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
They may have got fleeced by Atlanta in the long term, but I like the outlook for the next few seasons.

The problem with the D'Backs is that they continue to undervalue their own players and prospects in terms of market value. It's a lot like the Dougie Hamilton trade. Even if it 'works out', you didn't get full value. That's no way to run a baseball team in the long run, certainly not one that has a budget.

A lot of quotes going around about this being one of the worst trades ever. I understand the logic of it, but Dave Stewart and Co. are basically analytically blind. They should have just gone after Fernandez, who is actually an ace now.

The hockey equivalent would be trading Rieder, Strome, and Dvorak for RNH. You could make a case for such a thing, but it'd be pretty goddamn weak.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Hurley has done well so far. The loss to Sac State sucked, but have won against Creighton and A&M. Today is a test to see where we are at, and what needs to be fixed as we play Kentucky. I am loving this schedule though, not playing pom pom teams, but actual good competition. Kids don't get better without challenges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad