OT: OT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
People need to chill about the coronavirus it’s going to keep spreading it will be in every country shortly. Once enough people have it there will be no precautions as it will be too late for containment. The death rate isn’t all that much. Higher than a standard flu. The biggest issue is it can cause viral pneumonia.

Old/young/sickly should be the focus as they are at much greater risk. But for your average person it will be a couple day inconvenience.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The normal no-name flu kills 100k a year and nobody cares, establishment media loves fake outrage

I don't see anything wrong here, as there's basically two jobs at work.

1. The business side, your "establishment media". These are corporations so at the end of the day their #1 priority is to make money, if they can push a story that will drive big ratings and keep everyone watching they'll do it.
2. The science side, like the World Health Organization. It's their job to keep a tight check on these things because before modern medicine and health organizations these things can and used to kill millions around the globe. They need to be strict.

While there can be bad examples of the media blowing things out of proportion because of #2 I don't have any problems with it. China hasn't been shutting itself down and tanking the economy because the Western media is driving "fake outrage".

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
... an older person with severe pre-existing health conditions.

This virus isn't nothing but the panic is totally out of proportion. Traditional flu kills 1% of people who contract it (almost all older/weaker people) and this virus kills 2%.

Like, I wouldn't want my parents getting it and older people should be careful, but the mass panic among people aged 20-60 is idiotic.

I'm not legitimately worried. :laugh:

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
The bigger risk with the Coronavirus isn't just the kill rate, which is 3.5% right now if you trust the stats, but the rate of hospitalization reportedly required. The case study from a month ago had a 75% rate of pneumonia and 26% of patients needed the ICU. I haven't seen more recent stats, maybe the numbers look a lot different now a month later?

It's still not clear to me how serious it is. I don't buy the full blown panic and the press coverage has probably killed more people so far than the actual virus, but I am much more concerned about it than the flu at this point. I had pneumonia a few years ago and have zero interest in reliving that, if this virus is basically a pneumonia as contagious as a flu then it's hard to see it not causing widespread devastation, especially if it spreads here like it is projected to.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Hi early I don’t trust what’s coming out of China in regards to the numbers. I’m much more interested in the numbers from Italy;Korea and the us as they will give us a more reasonable aspect of what the contagion rate and death rate is.

I’d almost argue that the real information is actually just starting now.

Scygen

Jun 12, 2014
Calgary
In the process of moving to Chilliwack for 6-8 months for work.. Reading some reviews of neighborhoods and its nothing but homelessness problem and drug problems. Starting to feel sketched out.. Should I be? Or am I overthinking it?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
In the process of moving to Chilliwack for 6-8 months for work.. Reading some reviews of neighborhoods and its nothing but homelessness problem and drug problems. Starting to feel sketched out.. Should I be? Or am I overthinking it?

Chilliwack, like most cities has really nice areas and some problem areas.

As long as you stay south of the highway, ie. Sardis, Garrison, Promotory, etc you'll find a really nice place to live and avoid a lot of the property crime and other negativity.

Otherwise I would say to live on the outskirts to the north or east. Just stay away from the downtown area. They're doing a lot of work to revitalize it but that's still the hub of most of the bad stuff you've probably read about.

If you have anymore questions or even if you have a neighborhood in mind you're looking at moving to I'll tell you if it's good or stay away. Message me or post in here, happy to help.

Reactions: Scygen and m9

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Aww yeah, Ferrari was caught cheating and their team principal Barton Finketti says their 2020 car is down on power. Just bring on a 0-16 finish for the Canucks and a Quinn Hughes PED scandal to reward me for my patrician taste in sports teams
shepicide.001.gif

Last edited:

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Noted Nanaimo product short king Carter Turnbull having a great sophmore season at U Connecticut 24p in 30 games
He is listed at 5'8 180lbs but he's probably 5'6

Originally played defence in Jr A before switching to forward, great skater

Carnal

May 29, 2018
China has been moving the goalposts when it comes to reporting the number of infections and deaths since this thing started. Much of what is seen and reported is a facade.
To China, face is everything.
They built hospitals almost immediately in record fashion on a 24/7 non stop timeline. They have had their economy go south in order to do as much as possible to contain the virus. WHO is now reporting that the new cases in Hubei province should reach zero by the end of this month.

I'm sure some mistakes may have been made by the authorities in dealing with this brand new virus, but the response has been incredible, at the expense of their economy. I would hope Canada and the US would respond in a similar way. We shall find out shortly.

But then again, the anti China, anti Russia media kicks into overdrive their propaganda in a way goebbels himself would take a bow to.

Reactions: vancityluongo

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
They built hospitals almost immediately in record fashion on a 24/7 non stop timeline. They have had their economy go south in order to do as much as possible to contain the virus. WHO is now reporting that the new cases in Hubei province should reach zero by the end of this month.

I'm sure some mistakes may have been made by the authorities in dealing with this brand new virus, but the response has been incredible, at the expense of their economy. I would hope Canada and the US would respond in a similar way. We shall find out shortly.

But then again, the anti China, anti Russia media kicks into overdrive their propaganda in a way goebbels himself would take a bow to.

Except the tried to hide it for a long time at first. That was the real issue. them trying to hide it hurt Doctors figuring out what it was in many cases causing it to spread.

Reactions: Hit the post

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Icall

But then again, the anti China, anti Russia media kicks into overdrive their propaganda in a way goebbels himself would take a bow to.[/QUO
I call BS on the China numbers and the WHO is in bed with them which was apparent in the first press conferences. China bought the WHO.
No country can teach China or Russia anything about propaganda except maybe North Korea.
Propaganda and censorship is how they manage to hold onto power.
Go ahead though and believe what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad