OT: OT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
Any recommendations for a dinner place somewhere near the rink after the Jets game next sunday? Never been to an NHL game before but I'd assume that the food and drinks will cost a limb and a kidney there?

devils elbow is good if you are feeling bbq

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Italy finally follows Chinas lead and locking down 16 million people. Could happen anywhere I guess

Number of reported cases going down in the most effected areas of South Korea too

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Lot of fearmongering going on here. Your chances of recovering from COVID-19 are much higher than your chances of dying from it if you were to get, for younger people their immune system is strong enough to fight it off just as it would be able to fight off the normal flu.

And even through the increased paranoia of this strain..the number of deaths still pales in comparison to how many the normal flu is repsonsible for each year (even with higher estimates). Also high stress can weaken your immune system being super paranoid about this doesn't do you any good.

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Lot of fearmongering going on here. Your chances of recovering from COVID-19 are much higher than your chances of dying from it if you were to get, for younger people their immune system is strong enough to fight it off just as it would be able to fight off the normal flu.
One reply to a tweet from OJ (who commented about the coronavirus on twitter) as a person essentially stating: "I have a better chance being killed by you than being killed by catching COVID-19".

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria

And even through the increased paranoia of this strain..the number of deaths still pales in comparison to how many the normal flu is repsonsible for each year (even with higher estimates). Also high stress can weaken your immune system being super paranoid about this doesn't do you any good.
Meanwhile, 50 million are quarantined in China and the whole country is still basically at a standstill. Fatality rate for the common flu is .01% vs 3.4% for covid-19. The economic disruption this will cause is unprecedented.
Saying this is no worse than the flu is as much a disservice as fear mongering is.

Reactions: Dave Lister

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Meanwhile, 50 million are quarantined in China and the whole country is still basically at a standstill. Fatality rate for the common flu is .01% vs 3.4% for covid-19. The economic disruption this will cause is unprecedented.
Saying this is no worse than the flu is as much a disservice as fear mongering is.
So your fear mongering and his SUPPOSED down playing needs a proper balance. Like China and eventually Italy have done

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Leaving on vacation tomorrow to Jordan and Israel, the wifey has packed an entire pharmacy of vitamins and medications just in case. Customs might think we are drug smugglers

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019

This is going to be much worse than what you are hearing from mainstream media. An order of magnitude worse.

Italy has an excellent healthcare system and they have already been completely overwhelmed. This will happen in North America over the coming 6 weeks.

It’s going to cause the financial system to melt down, mass unemployment and social unrest.

This is not a flu. This is the worst health crisis in over 100 years. Canadians will catch on in a couple weeks.

Reactions: xtra

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
The apocalypse is coming!!!!

I do take this seriously, and @Hoghandler I genuinely respect your concern. I just feel like the alarmist/sensationalist media can get the better of a lot of us. It's easy to get swept up in the hysteria. I'm trying to take a level headed approach, which is to take it seriously and not completely laugh it off but also to go on with my normal routine and not get too carried away.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
The apocalypse is coming!!!!

I do take this seriously, and @Hoghandler I genuinely respect your concern. I just feel like the alarmist/sensationalist media can get the better of a lot of us. It's easy to get swept up in the hysteria. I'm trying to take a level headed approach, which is to take it seriously and not completely laugh it off but also to go on with my normal routine and not get too carried away.

I don't pay attention to mainstream media. A well cultivated twitter feed gives you much better info on this topic, or anything for that matter. All of the experts in this field I'm following are pretty unanimous in thinking this is going to get very bad, very quickly. Viruses are pretty predictable and all the modelling I'm looking at is very discouraging.

We can go about our normal routines for now. But that will only be for a few more weeks. Social distancing is the only measure to slow this down, which will help the healthcare system handle the load a bit more effectively.

Italy's death rate climbed 57% over night. They have one of the best healthcare systems in the world. This is worse than what the mainstream media are telling you, which is good, because the majority of people are in the dark, helping to delay the widespread panic that is likely to ensue over the next 8 weeks.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I don't pay attention to mainstream media. A well cultivated twitter feed gives you much better info on this topic, or anything for that matter. All of the experts in this field I'm following are pretty unanimous in thinking this is going to get very bad, very quickly. Viruses are pretty predictable and all the modelling I'm looking at is very discouraging.

We can go about our normal routines for now. But that will only be for a few more weeks. Social distancing is the only measure to slow this down, which will help the healthcare system handle the load a bit more effectively.

Italy's death rate climbed 57% over night. They have one of the best healthcare systems in the world. This is worse than what the mainstream media are telling you, which is good, because the majority of people are in the dark, helping to delay the widespread panic that is likely to ensue over the next 8 weeks.
That's actually fantastic to hear, and I agree completely. That's the way to go.

Also, the 2nd point in bold is a great point if it's going to be as bad as you say. I've heard some people express the sentiment that the panic and the domino effect from that is of greater concern than the virus itself.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
That's actually fantastic to hear, and I agree completely. That's the way to go.

Also, the 2nd point in bold is a great point if it's going to be as bad as you say. I've heard some people express the sentiment that the panic and the domino effect from that is of greater concern than the virus itself.

Yeah, the social implications are tremendous. Countless industries are going to get crushed, mass layoffs will ensue, markets will crash and the mess will take a very very long time to clean up. Never mind the death toll, as well as hit to the healthcare system. Many people have had a tough go of things financially in recent decades. This is going to be massive hit on that front.

79 cases 2 weeks ago; 7900 cases today. Do the math on 2 weeks from now. Now do the math on Vancouver 2 weeks from now.

The other thing nobody seems to be talking about is the irreversible lung damage this is causing for people that contract the disease. Even if you survive, it's causing damage that cannot be undone. That's awful. Not to mention the damage to other organs, as well as the neurological implications they're finding out about now.

The flu, eh?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomobo

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017

I don’t think people should be paranoid but they should use this as a warmup when something bigger comes along. If/when we do get something much more vicious there should be no excuses for countries to be this poorly prepared and lacking in transparency. If this was a test the world completely failed. Thankfully it was only a pop quiz.

We need to be more prepared for super bugs and natural disasters. Invest more in science and be ahead of these things instead of chasing our tails and scrambling at the last minute to figure out procedures and guidelines. Society often waits for something bad to happen before responding to a threat even if the potential threat is there well ahead of time.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I love how just because you aren't going to literally die from it, theres no reason to be concerned. Have you ever been sick before? It sucks balls. I don't want to be sick. I don't care if I'm going to survive. Being sick sucks. f*** being sick.

And just because you personally are not at high risk doesn't mean you shouldnt take steps to prevent spreading it to people who are.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
It’s time that we got proac
Yeah, the social implications are tremendous. Countless industries are going to get crushed, mass layoffs will ensue, markets will crash and the mess will take a very very long time to clean up. Never mind the death toll, as well as hit to the healthcare system. Many people have had a tough go of things financially in recent decades. This is going to be massive hit on that front.

79 cases 2 weeks ago; 7900 cases today. Do the math on 2 weeks from now. Now do the math on Vancouver 2 weeks from now.

The other thing nobody seems to be talking about is the irreversible lung damage this is causing for people that contract the disease. Even if you survive, it's causing damage that cannot be undone. That's awful. Not to mention the damage to other organs, as well as the neurological implications they're finding out about now.

The flu, eh?

It’s time we get proactive rather than reacting to what the virus is doing.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
It’s time that we got proac

It’s time we get proactive rather than reacting to what the virus is doing.

Yup, school closures, self quarantine and no more large gatherings, sooner than later. That’s the only hope to slow the spread of infection.

The key here is to take steps as to not have the healthcare industry overwhelmed. If everyone catches this in a short amount of time, there simply isn’t enough medical equipment to treat people, which can help prevent deaths.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
No man, this is worse than the Black Plague. It’s going to wipe out the entire earth.

JUST WAIT AND SEE.
ogMGpcR.gif

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
I love how just because you aren't going to literally die from it, theres no reason to be concerned. Have you ever been sick before? It sucks balls. I don't want to be sick. I don't care if I'm going to survive. Being sick sucks. f*** being sick.

And just because you personally are not at high risk doesn't mean you shouldnt take steps to prevent spreading it to people who are.

The other concern is the longterm implications of being infected. Reports out of China are very concerning thus far. Irreversible lung damage being one of the biggest issues, as well as other organs not recovering fully.

Being sick sucks. Being permanently affected for the rest of your life is another story altogether.

The ‘don’t worry’ crowd will have a better understanding of the scope of this problem by this time next week. The news I’m hearing coming out of China from doctors is... not good.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I just enrolled in a Master's Program at UBC (MBAN) starting this fall. Anybody here have any tips for UBC for me, particularly housing tips? Looks like getting a place on campus will be pretty much impossible.

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I just enrolled in a Master's Program at UBC (MBAN) starting this fall. Anybody here have any tips for UBC for me, particularly housing tips? Looks like getting a place on campus will be pretty much impossible.
Move to around Broadway and Commercial area and then just take the 99 bus to UBC. I had a cousin who did that and loved it, tho the bus does get full and theres not enough of em. Nice area too, good restaurants, grocery and fruit and veggie stores, shoe repair stores, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad