BABY!

XpWibQD.png

Last edited:
Reactions: The Poacher

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
They have said they would not delay the Olympics. It is either going to be Cancelled or continue.

As someone who works in the Travel industry, this is killing the industry and will continue to do so for 9 months. I think the virus itself is currently being overblown.

Having said that the over reaction is causing it to be not a bad idea to not travel. For instance some countries are quarantining passengers if you have been through certain areas, boarders are shutting down, you could get stuck somewhere. However the virus itself is not that bad and while it may kill at a higher rate than the common flu, the common flu still has killed more this year. Last I heard at the beginning of the week it was still just killing people who are already sick or elderly.

Just my thoughts.

It might not be that bad.
But this is China we are talking about. They are 100% lying about the severity of the issue like they always do.
I saw some videos online (Great source I know) of the doctors in Wuhan couldn't register deaths under the Coronavirus because they did not have the proper way to test the patients before they died. Then they would haul them off to the crematorium.

My guess is the deaths and infections are WAY higher than reported.

Carnal

May 29, 2018
But this is China we are talking about. They are 100% lying about the severity of the issue like they always do.
I saw some videos online (Great source I know) of the doctors in Wuhan couldn't register deaths under the Coronavirus because they did not have the proper way to test the patients before they died. Then they would haul them off to the crematorium.

I like how you used evidence and science to come to your poorly constructed conclusion.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour

That's almost a guarantee.........I have a Canadian friend who has been living and working in South Korea for quite some time. He literally just packed up and fled the country due to what's going on over there (left his apartment, attempted to sell everything in 3 days and just fled). People are literally jumping off bridges, supermarkets barren of food, the streets completely empty.........he said it was the twilight zone.

He's part of several chat groups - several of which contain Chinese members. Things are being WAYYYYYY under reported - The death toll is undoubtedly incredibly higher than stated. To doubt that the Chinese government would try to minimalize things or cover them up would be folly. This is a much scarier issue once you actually start delving into it a little closer. Quite honestly I'm surprised this doesn't seem to be getting the attention it should in mainstream media over here. I can only assume there's a concerted effort by the authorities to downplay everything in order to prevent widespread panic from setting in.

Reactions: Nomobo

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
That's almost a guarantee.........I have a Canadian friend who has been living and working in South Korea for quite some time. He literally just packed up and fled the country due to what's going on over there (left his apartment, attempted to sell everything in 3 days and just fled). People are literally jumping off bridges, supermarkets barren of food, the streets completely empty.........he said it was the twilight zone.

He's part of several chat groups - several of which contain Chinese members. Things are being WAYYYYYY under reported - The death toll is undoubtedly incredibly higher than stated. To doubt that the Chinese government would try to minimalize things or cover them up would be folly. This is a much scarier issue once you actually start delving into it a little closer. Quite honestly I'm surprised this doesn't seem to be getting the attention it should in mainstream media over here. I can only assume there's a concerted effort by the authorities to downplay everything in order to prevent widespread panic from setting in.
Yeah, I heard about the panic in South Korea. I really hope this thing doesn't become a pandemic.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Firstly, it's evidence and reasoning.
Secondly, first-hand accounts of the virus by doctors on the ground is evidence.
Thirdly, since China lied about SARS it is save to reason that they would be lying about Corona.
China has been moving the goalposts when it comes to reporting the number of infections and deaths since this thing started. Much of what is seen and reported is a facade.
To China, face is everything.

Reactions: WTG

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I'll be in Vancouver to see Tool at the end of May. Planning to stay a few days after the show to hang around and see the city.

any recommendations for top 5 touristy things to do/see(probably won't be renting a car)? also maybe a good hotel to stay at?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I'll be in Vancouver to see Tool at the end of May. Planning to stay a few days after the show to hang around and see the city.

any recommendations for top 5 touristy things to do/see(probably won't be renting a car)? also maybe a good hotel to stay at?

The last Canucks game I went to, I was looking for a hotel nearby Rogers to stay at and take a chance on Hotel Blu. Can't recommend it enough. It was reasonable priced for Vancouver, they upgraded us to a suite with a loft, for free. Staff was all very friendly and went the extra mile.

On the cheaper side of things I've also stayed at the Rosedale on Robson for another game this season. A little more dated but still a nice place to stay.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
The last Canucks game I went to, I was looking for a hotel nearby Rogers to stay at and take a chance on Hotel Blu. Can't recommend it enough. It was reasonable priced for Vancouver, they upgraded us to a suite with a loft, for free. Staff was all very friendly and went the extra mile.

On the cheaper side of things I've also stayed at the Rosedale on Robson for another game this season. A little more dated but still a nice place to stay.

thanks. money isn't an issue btw, so I'll put the Blu on the list.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
pretty good now that I'm planning a sweet mini-vacation.
Yeah I remember you from WAY, WAY, WAY back in the old Fanhome days (I just lurked there & other team boards back then). The true "golden age" of hockey forums. Hard to believe FloydianLeaf has been gone for around 15 years now. Seems like yesterday (almost). Course later many moved to TSB (had a noble goal but awful execution; how the 'powers that be' handled your Leaf Mods was asinine).

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Toronto is a really cool city.

Some notable elements relative to Vancouver:

Better transit, cheaper/more variety food wise, more culture in close walking distance of downtown, less homeless population.

OTOH, the Weather sucks, drivers suck, and there's no coastline.

I can see why people who've lived here their whole life love it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
First coronavirus death reported in the US. Time to never leave the house aka keep doing what I’m doing.

... an older person with severe pre-existing health conditions.

This virus isn't nothing but the panic is totally out of proportion. Traditional flu kills 1% of people who contract it (almost all older/weaker people) and this virus kills 2%.

Like, I wouldn't want my parents getting it and older people should be careful, but the mass panic among people aged 20-60 is idiotic.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Some stats are also skewed. It is a Respiratory disease, if you dive into the stats it’s killing primarily older men. In China where it’s killing most of its casualties, smoking is super popular among men.

I am pretty sure if you take out China the stats would drop.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
... an older person with severe pre-existing health conditions.

This virus isn't nothing but the panic is totally out of proportion. Traditional flu kills 1% of people who contract it (almost all older/weaker people) and this virus kills 2%.

Like, I wouldn't want my parents getting it and older people should be careful, but the mass panic among people aged 20-60 is idiotic.
Yeah that seems pretty reasonable. I heard the flu kills 40,000 per year in US as well, and even cases in China of corona virus are going way down now too

Reactions: cookiefest

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's weird because, like, yes, the panic is stupid, but... the panic is causing people to do things like ... wash their hands and use proper hygiene, so in the end I'm on board with that?

Every once in a while we need sensationalist reporting of contagious diseases to remind people to not be disgusting.

Of course that part is reasonable and reasonable precaution and hygiene is always good ... I think we're more referring to the people stockpiling facemasks and cancelling plans or substantially altering their lives around something that is marginally more dangerous than the regular flu.

Like, half the ads on this site right now are for facemasks.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
The normal no-name flu kills 100k a year and nobody cares, establishment media loves fake outrage

Last edited:

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Some stats are also skewed. It is a Respiratory disease, if you dive into the stats it’s killing primarily older men. In China where it’s killing most of its casualties, smoking is super popular among men.

I am pretty sure if you take out China the stats would drop.
I don't have a link or source for this, but I remember reading that if you exclude China and Iran, the death rate is somewhere around 0.5-0.6%.

Reactions: racerjoe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad