OT: OT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
I am watching the Oscars and it's hilarious how pretentious actors are.
Ricky Gervais was right, you aren't changing the world pretending to be someone else.
To be fair, most, if not all, celebrities are pretty much useless other than providing some entertainment here and there.

I really do not understand how people can praise and glorify famous people or CEO's of successful companies. Really weird and disheartening honestly.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
To be fair, most, if not all, celebrities are pretty much useless other than providing some entertainment here and there.

I really do not understand how people can praise and glorify famous people or CEO's of successful companies. Really weird and disheartening honestly.

Rich people are weird.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Rich people are weird.

Weird, selfish, greedy... usually rich people are generally awful people who are incredibly selfish. I understand that though, who wouldn't be?

But the ultra rich are the truly evil people in this world. Rules and laws don't apply for them, only to those without money. Being poor is already basically illegal in the USA through the prison system, police system, healthcare system, welfare system/food stamps.

Jeff Bezo's bought a $165 million dollar home today. That's like someone making $60,000 a year and buying a house for $75. Ridiculous.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

Tho Ive come to agree with your line in this post and your one thats two posts later, i dont mind if a celeberity uses their status for a just cause, ya know like Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) or Danny Glover to defend oppressed people from the rich. BUT not like Angelinia Jolie or Bono whose just cause is give to charities who are funded by the UBER rich who usually caused the suffering anyways

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Weird, selfish, greedy... usually rich people are generally awful people who are incredibly selfish. I understand that though, who wouldn't be?

But the ultra rich are the truly evil people in this world. Rules and laws don't apply for them, only to those without money. Being poor is already basically illegal in the USA through the prison system, police system, healthcare system, welfare system/food stamps.

Jeff Bezo's bought a $165 million dollar home today. That's like someone making $60,000 a year and buying a house for $75. Ridiculous.
Each individual tenet of capitalism and property rights makes sense. However, when they are actually put into practice for hundreds of years, you end up with a tiny class of people accumulating almost all of the money, a class below them using most of our goods and services, a class below that physically producing most of our goods and services but not getting to use much of them. That's nowhere near the best this species can do.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I know he won't toot his own horn so I'll do it for him.

Our own Mr. Canucklehad was presented with a 50th Anniversary Canucks jersey by the BCHL, Canucks Alumni, and LNG Canada, for the tireless work he puts in bringing Canucks alumni to his town, and for his contributions to youth hockey, the BCHL and Canucks Alumni. Well deserved. Congratulations Mr. C. And that is one sweet jersey.

DjuD2Vu.jpg

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I know he won't toot his own horn so I'll do it for him.

Our own Mr. Canucklehad received an award. He was presented with a 50th Anniversary Canucks jersey by the BCHL, Canucks Alumni, and LNG Canada, for the tireless work he puts in bringing Canucks alumni to his town, and for what for youth hockey, the BCHL and Canucks Alumni. Well deserved. Congratulations Mr. C.

DjuD2Vu.jpg
So, which one is Mr C? :sarcasm:

*****runs & hides*****

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
Each individual tenet of capitalism and property rights makes sense. However, when they are actually put into practice for hundreds of years, you end up with a tiny class of people accumulating almost all of the money, a class below them using most of our goods and services, a class below that physically producing most of our goods and services but not getting to use much of them. That's nowhere near the best this species can do.
TBF Bezos is a self made billionaire who was born to a teen mom. He acquired all his wealth in the last 30 years.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
TBF Bezos is a self made billionaire who was born to a teen mom. He acquired all his wealth in the last 30 years.

That is only somewhat true. His family was fairly wealthy and he founded amazon with 300k that his parents gave him.

Nobody is truly "self made."

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone know what these are about? Or any history on them

Attachments

• 097C9F8F-F440-4E65-8177-CA69DB6B28FB.jpeg
    097C9F8F-F440-4E65-8177-CA69DB6B28FB.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 879FB74F-4BB2-42C0-B642-F33ABCF7635D.jpeg
    879FB74F-4BB2-42C0-B642-F33ABCF7635D.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 3

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
They were part of a photo series the Canucks did in the early 90s. 1992-93? Maybe earlier. Professor is in the first one, and he left after 1991-92.

Actually, yeah, that first one is definitely 1991-92, because Larionov and Bure are in it. I recognize Garry Valk's chin of steel there, first on the left lol. Trevor at the front of the car, Gus Adams next to him, Babych with the shotgun, Ronning needing a boost, and, unfortunately, Dave Lidster with the Cup (which he won by beating the Canucks - he's clearly the rat)

Here:

Canucks On Trial picture

I remember this series. I think they were put out by Save On Foods / Overwaitea back in the early 90's. This was the 3rd one, there was a 2nd that came out the next year that was a Western Theme that I had (and still have in storage somewhere). The first one had them as gangsters (I initially thought yours was this one but I googled it and it's different). No idea as to value, probably nothing exorbitant but if you could find an old-school Canucks fan who wants a young Bure, Odjick, Linden, McLean, etc for nostalgia's sake, you could probably get a couple hundred for it I'd think. Good luck!!

Last edited:

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
They were part of a photo series the Canucks did in the early 90s. 1992-93? Maybe earlier. Professor is in the first one, and he left after 1991-92.

Actually, yeah, that first one is definitely 1991-92, because Larionov and Bure are in it. I recognize Garry Valk's chin of steel there, first on the left lol. Trevor at the front of the car, Babych with the shotgun, Ronning needing a boost, and, unfortunately, Dave Lidster with the Cup (which he won by beating the Canucks)

Here:

Canucks On Trial picture

As always, you’re the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad