OT Non-Ski Resort Thread Part ∞+1: Oh Summer, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Oh yeah. You're around Highgate, right? Might even be the same block. :laugh:

And I've always loved Hallowe'en. My birthday's on the 29th, so it always gave me an extra reason to party on in my younger, wilder days.

Now I'm older and more boring. But even though I'm now 42, I still get carded at the liquor store. It's actually getting really annoying.
Yessir. That'd be kinda weird....

It will always be Middlegate to me.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Yessir. That'd be kinda weird....

It will always be Middlegate to me.

Middlegate was a pit. It deserves to be moved up to Highgate with the new development. And it's just so convenient. Everything's right there. Save-On, liquor store, gym, sushi bar, Starbucks, yoga studio for the girls, Me and Ed's right nearby, the Chinese grocery for Chinese produce that's always cheaper and better than Save-On, Shoppers for the deals on Coke 6-packs...

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Also, ever try to explain Hallowe'en to recentish immigrants? Kinda hard to do. Remember once spinning the story for a bunch of Bangladeshi guys watching their kids mill about in costume.

Before the Christians came, the people who lived in what are now the British Isles and Ireland were Earth worshippers, and they followed the cycles of the sun and moon very carefully. On this day, they had a celebration called Samhain (pronounced SOW-enn fyi). By then, the harvest was done and they believed this was the transition from the time of the living to the dying, and on this day they believed the veil between the living world and the spirit world was at its thinnest, and beings from the Other Side were most easily able to come across and influence people here. Christians came and wiped all that out. Everything about the old ways was demonized; the Druids and Priestesses of the old ways became witches and warlocks, the spirits of wood and stone became demons and imps.

*questions from the kids about the word "Druids"*

Druids = priests and masters of the Old Earth Magicks; those who wielded the powers of transformation and the Second Sight.

*general scoffing about how magic isn't real*

Isn't it? Or did they just know things about the world that have been forgotten? Besides, any self-respecting God only shows their best tricks to those most dedicated to them.

Anyway, as the years went by, the people still remembered this day but it became the day when the demons were strongest and came to torment their human prey. Instead of celebrating a harvest, they put offerings of food and water on their doorsteps to appease the demons. Now, the kids in costume play the role of demons, made up to confuse the people to get what they want. "Trick or Treat!" That's actually a threat. That's that little demon saying: "Give me a treat or I'll give you a trick. And you won't like it."

One of the kids piped up about what a Jack O'Lantern is.

Also from Old England, but much further on. In middle ages, if you owned an inn or a pub, you would hang a lantern over your door at night so a traveler could see your door from a distance and know they could find food and shelter there. Of course they didn't have gas stations or strip malls or lighted streets back then, so that's what they did. But sometimes, that light in the distance wasn't an inn or a pub. Sometimes, it was a man with a lantern in one hand...and a knife in the other. Jack. Of the lantern.

True story.

JA

Middlegate was a pit. It deserves to be moved up to Highgate with the new development. And it's just so convenient. Everything's right there. Save-On, liquor store, gym, sushi bar, Starbucks, yoga studio for the girls, Me and Ed's right nearby, the Chinese grocery for Chinese produce that's always cheaper and better than Save-On, Shoppers for the deals on Coke 6-packs...
I've only ever seen one Applebee's in the Lower Mainland, and it was at Highgate.

A bad experience... and this was when it was new.

florence_banner.jpg

In a match between Applebee's, Whitespot, and Boston Pizza, I say none of them win.

The new Station Square is almost complete. If there's one family dining restaurant that needs to come back, it's Red Robin. That place was always packed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I used to live like a block up 11th from that 7/11 on the border to New West. That Chinese place next door has **** food, but pretty big servings for like 5$ on weekdays.

Highgate is pretty **** though, for real. You can build some nice new buildings in the downtown east side, but it's still the downtown east side, you know? I'm not saying it's comparable to the downtown east side, but just a few nicer developments doesn't change it from Middlegate!

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Middlegate deserved the improvement for sure, even if just for land allocation. The parking at Middlegate was enormous. I just miss it's classic old school feel, super-valu and all.

That area will explode when the development east of Edmonds st matches the development west. Then I'll sell and profit.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I've only ever seen one Applebee's in the Lower Mainland, and it was at Highgate.

A bad experience... and this was when it was new.

In a match between Applebee's, Whitespot, and Boston Pizza, I say none of them win.

The new Station Square is almost complete. If there's one family dining restaurant that needs to come back, it's Red Robin. That place was always packed.

White Spot was okay in my childhood years. Those pirate packs were always a treat between the ages of 5 to 10.

But yeah, the food's generally **** though. That Applebee's only lasted about 6 months. Then it was a bar with terrible food, now half of it's a Burger King. The food's now marginally better. The part of the bar that didn't become Burger King has apparently been leased, so who knows what it'll be.

I used to live like a block up 11th from that 7/11 on the border to New West. That Chinese place next door has **** food, but pretty big servings for like 5$ on weekdays.

Highgate is pretty **** though, for real. You can build some nice new buildings in the downtown east side, but it's still the downtown east side, you know? I'm not saying it's comparable to the downtown east side, but just a few nicer developments doesn't change it from Middlegate!

Now now, that development's brought some money and a bit of niceness. A little oasis of gentrification the neighbourhood needed. It deserves to be called Highgate just for the improved services and better construction. Yeah sure, go down Edmonds to Canada Way and it's still a suburban dump, but Highgate's a LOT nicer to live around than Middlegate was.

Middlegate deserved the improvement for sure, even if just for land allocation. The parking at Middlegate was enormous. I just miss it's classic old school feel, super-valu and all.

That area will explode when the development east of Edmonds st matches the development west. Then I'll sell and profit.

Well, old school was just plain old. All that parking's still there, it's just underground now. Okay, the parking lot's intended for people driving cars that are about five feet long, but still.

East of Edmonds? Good luck. May you live that long.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I don't know how to skate or ride a bike

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I need a vpn for my Samsung tablet, does that exist, in a form that's free?

No good VPNs are free. What do you need it for? If its to access foreign Netflix there are options out there to appear American or whatever. If it's for torrenting then you'll have to pay. I use Private Internet Access. It's like 6.95 a month or something. They also run their VPN through another VPN to get around networks that ban torrenting like schools, which is neato.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
My favourite part was going back an hour and getting that extra hour of sleep!

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
No good VPNs are free. What do you need it for? If its to access foreign Netflix there are options out there to appear American or whatever. If it's for torrenting then you'll have to pay. I use Private Internet Access. It's like 6.95 a month or something. They also run their VPN through another VPN to get around networks that ban torrenting like schools, which is neato.
Good to know.
I need to use for Game Center, DNS number switching doesn't work anymore. And since I don't have a computer my tablet and chrome cast is the only way. Only way I know of atleast.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
imo add Mc to your usernames for McCann, like Oilers board did with McDavid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad