OT: OT Lounge (No politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
My 12 year old got her Pfizer shot at the Convention centre today. She is pretty pumped about getting a normal life back. Her 1st question was “when is my 2nd dose?”

I give credit to her Science teacher for helping with vaccine education and how it all works. She was not at all hesitant.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
My 12 year old got her Pfizer shot at the Convention centre today. She is pretty pumped about getting a normal life back. Her 1st question was “when is my 2nd dose?”

I give credit to her Science teacher for helping with vaccine education and how it all works. She was not at all hesitant.
Back to normal you say?
Doubt it, we’re being threatened with a stay at home order now and that’s with 50% vaccinated with first shot WTF

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I see we are staring down a stay at home order. Manitoba is finally #1 at something and it’s not a good thing.

Normal is big picture but for a young person it brings hope in such a bleak last 16 months. Most people I know all have a single dose. So even socailizing on private property this summer would be nice.

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
I see we are staring down a stay at home order. Manitoba is finally #1 at something and it’s not a good thing.

Normal is big picture but for a young person it brings hope in such a bleak last 16 months. Most people I know all have a single dose. So even socailizing on private property this summer would be nice.
Reminds me of this slogan:
71d2ecd2a3ec0eb8257a4c78f0367985.jpg

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
When did they say that ?

CBC headline
Story goes on to say that option isn’t off the table if cases don’t peak and decline.
It’s a bit misleading but everything about this through the media has been
Will get link
The headline is now changed and the stay at home line is the last line in the story...
So it’s been edited already
No wonder people get miffed at the media
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/covid19-update-manitoba-brent-roussin-1.6029415

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
ALMOST had a major sewer back up...basement toilet and sink started bubbling and burping when you flush the upstairs one with a small amount of water backing up (but was able to wipe it up). Got the sewer line cleaned this afternoon, I couldn't believe the roots they pulled out, like a garbage bag full.

I had some trouble finding the access to the sewer line. It was behind the basement bar (which is basically plastic bin storage space ha) and the previous owners had tiled over it . You could see some water seeping up from a cracked tile so the plumber ripped it up and there it was. Seemed like a stupid idea to tile over the access pipe, I mean they had it grouted and everything unless that's how it's usually done? Anyways, crisis averted.
My uncle told me that those roots wrap themselves right around those pipes. When we have a really strong wind and it is a big tree, those roots will actually move a bit. Eventually the pipes crack and the roots have a way in. You'll be doing this every so often. We had a looooooong piece of flat, thin metal with a ball on the end in my gramma's basement and we would push it through until we hit the obstruction and then move it back and forth until it broke the roots. It wrapped up on a spool. We did this about every 2-3 months. It took about 45 minutes from beginning to end. We left it for the homeowners when we sold the house.
I was amazed when he told me that the roots would actually move a bit that far away from the tree.

Reactions: Jack7222

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
CBC headline
Story goes on to say that option isn’t off the table if cases don’t peak and decline.
It’s a bit misleading but everything about this through the media has been
Will get link
The headline is now changed and the stay at home line is the last line in the story...
So it’s been edited already
No wonder people get miffed at the media
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/covid19-update-manitoba-brent-roussin-1.6029415

Yeah that's a bit of a scummy headline. All it's based on is a reporter asking about possible stay-at-home orders, and Roussin giving his typical "nothing's off the table" that he's said 1000 times in press conferences.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
:naughty::naughty:
That is frustrating. When we reach 70% something has to give. I don’t know how many more Jets games I can drink beer alone on my deck.

Once Manitoba has reached 100% voluntary vaccine levels with both doses (hopefully 70-75% of the eligible population) then I would hope our elected officials respond with the policies recognizing those who have been fully vaccinated. I think other countries are layering in less restrictions and incentives.

In the mean time I will enjoy the weather and try to make the best of it. Seeing the hockey crowds in the buildings in the US gives me some hope.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Yeah that's a bit of a scummy headline. All it's based on is a reporter asking about possible stay-at-home orders, and Roussin giving his typical "nothing's off the table" that he's said 1000 times in press conferences.
Exactly it’s so tiring already for most people

Reactions: GNP

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I don't see a stay at home order coming, it seems we have already plateaued over the last week or so. As long as things don't start increasing again I think the current restrictions will stay but not new ones. I would suspect we won't be able to see friends on private property until July at least though. Hopefully we can get a couple months of something resembling a normal summer.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
My uncle told me that those roots wrap themselves right around those pipes. When we have a really strong wind and it is a big tree, those roots will actually move a bit. Eventually the pipes crack and the roots have a way in. You'll be doing this every so often. We had a looooooong piece of flat, thin metal with a ball on the end in my gramma's basement and we would push it through until we hit the obstruction and then move it back and forth until it broke the roots. It wrapped up on a spool. We did this about every 2-3 months. It took about 45 minutes from beginning to end. We left it for the homeowners when we sold the house.
I was amazed when he told me that the roots would actually move a bit that far away from the tree.

Yeah the plumber said the size of the tree canopy is basically the size and depth of a tree root system :eek:. We have one elm in front of the house on the city boulevard, it isn't the largest but big enough. I thought at first he was pulling out hair but it was those really fine, capillary like roots. It's a common issue in Winnipeg, outdated sewer system with old pipes plus trees on almost every street. We will probably just get it done regularly, we have been in the house almost 3 years so I'd imagine every 4 or 5 years.

I'm planning on ripping that old 1960s bar out and turning the recessed space into a large storage closet, anyways. Those tiles will all be gone eventually.

Reactions: sipowicz

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
We are very lucky to have become pretty much best friends with our next door neighbours. We removed a large length of the plastic privacy slats on the chain link fence between the yards, so we sit on our own sides of the fence on deck chairs (6 feet from either side of the fence) and have a few drinks and talk at night. They are also setting up a TV in their yard tomorrow night so we can all watch game 1. However if the province says talking to your neighbour over a fence at distance is not allowed, I'm pretty much f***ing done with it all.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Once Manitoba has reached 100% voluntary vaccine levels with both doses (hopefully 70-75% of the eligible population) then I would hope our elected officials respond with the policies recognizing those who have been fully vaccinated. I think other countries are layering in less restrictions and incentives.

In the mean time I will enjoy the weather and try to make the best of it. Seeing the hockey crowds in the buildings in the US gives me some hope.
I would hope that once everyone has access to the second vaccine, that all restrictions are lifted. At that point everyone is taking responsibility for their own health. Either you want to protect yourself and you have, or you you’ve made the decision not to.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

Good for her! One of the things that keeps me sane is imagining that, for every blithering idiot of my generation, there are two or more smart children of your daughter's generation. I appreciate you sharing an anecdote that supports my optimism here :)

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Yeah the plumber said the size of the tree canopy is basically the size and depth of a tree root system :eek:. We have one elm in front of the house on the city boulevard, it isn't the largest but big enough. I thought at first he was pulling out hair but it was those really fine, capillary like roots. It's a common issue in Winnipeg, outdated sewer system with old pipes plus trees on almost every street. We will probably just get it done regularly, we have been in the house almost 3 years so I'd imagine every 4 or 5 years.

I'm planning on ripping that old 1960s bar out and turning the recessed space into a large storage closet, anyways. Those tiles will all be gone eventually.

I get my roots done every 2 years. When I leave it to 3 years it backs up like clock work. I have a massive box elder in my yard. I wanted to cut it down when I added a 2nd story and my engineer said not to as it would destroy the water table around my house and may collapse my foundation as it has such an underground presence. The tree may be 100 years old. The house was originally built in 1926.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Lazy, meet stupid. Stupid, lazy.

She fails to mention the inevitable lineup at the microwave to reheat (literally) stone-cold food. :facepalm:

Reactions: Jets 31

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Got my jab yesterday. Arm is still sore as a mofo.

Yeah I was surprised how sore my arm was the next day. WAY more sore than I expected in comparison to the regular flu shot. Was fine the next day.

Yep, my arm is also very sore today, I can barely raise it above my shoulder. Felt fine last night. The microchip is embedding itself well :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad