OT: 44 cities in North America seeking to host FIFA World Cup 2026

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Voted ended up not being close at all. Which I don’t think is all that surprising given how low a score Morocco was given by FIFA, and with the scrutiny faced after they gave a WC to Qatar. Morocco would have just been a really bad place to have the games, and voters knew that.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Voted ended up not being close at all. Which I don’t think is all that surprising given how low a score Morocco was given by FIFA, and with the scrutiny faced after they gave a WC to Qatar. Morocco would have just been a really bad place to have the games, and voters knew that.

Morocco wasn't even going to have the stadiums ready for 2026 which is partly why it scored bad.

Reactions: Morrison

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I wish the Federal government wasnt backing this. Im surprised for how much Justin carea about social issues that FIFA is getting a pass from his government.

If provincial governments wanted to make their own decisions, Im fine with that.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I wish the Federal government wasnt backing this. Im surprised for how much Justin carea about social issues that FIFA is getting a pass from his government.

If provincial governments wanted to make their own decisions, Im fine with that.
I’ll never understand this type of logic, it’s nothing personal to you, but it’s a fairly common thing to say on a range of issues. I want it here because there won’t be issues here like there are in Qatar or Russia.

I care about the environment, so I’d rather make stuff in the US and Canada where we care a lot more about the environmental impact than China or India. Overall, doing these things here is a net plus for the world. It’s going to happen somewhere, this is a much better place to do it, IMO.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
The ten games each for Canada and Mexico is not set in stone. And hopefully that will change as it is ridiculous. Something like 15 - 18 games each for Canada and Mexico would be more appropriate with at least a few elimination games in the mix. The United States would still hold the majority of the matches.

It's travesty that an iconic soccer stadium like Azteca would be relegated to the round robin portion of the tournament under the current proposal. Ideally, it would host the final but we know that's not possible. Hopefully they at least get to host a quarterfinal or semifinal match.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
The ten games each for Canada and Mexico is not set in stone. And hopefully that will change as it is ridiculous. Something like 15 - 18 games each for Canada and Mexico would be more appropriate with at least a few elimination games in the mix. The United States would still hold the majority of the matches.

As much as I would like to see more games in Canada, how can we really justify that? US has close to 10 times the population with much bigger stadiums. Already 10 is more than our fair share.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
As much as I would like to see more games in Canada, how can we really justify that? US has close to 10 times the population with much bigger stadiums. Already 10 is more than our fair share.

It was sold as a shared bid and as such all countries should receive reap the rewards of the win. Having the US hold all the elimination games and 50 of the 70 total games (and probably all of the marquees matches on top of that) while the other two countries get the scraps is a pathetic attempt at distributing the matches.

FIFA's mandate is to grow the game supposedly. Giving a country that has never hosted a men's World Cup for than a handful of matches while bringing significant matches back to the country that will not have hosted in 40 years come 2026 would be a good place to start. The US would still get the most matches and the finals. There should be more of a genuine attempt at sharing this World Cup among the countries involved.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

It's travesty that an iconic soccer stadium like Azteca would be relegated to the round robin portion of the tournament under the current proposal. Ideally, it would host the final but we know that's not possible. Hopefully they at least get to host a quarterfinal or semifinal match.

Stadiums included in the bid:

USADallas92967*
USALos Angeles88432*
MEXMexico City87523
USANew York87157*
USADenver77595*
USAKansas City76640*
USAAtlanta75000*
USAHouston72220*
USABaltimore70976*
USASan Francisco70909*
USAWashington DC70249*
USABoston70000*
USANashville69722*
USAPhiladelphia69328*
USASeattle69000
USAMiami67518*
USACincinnati67402*
USAOrlando65000*
CANEdmonton56302*
CANMontreal55822*
MEXMonterrey53460*
MEXGuadaljara48071*
CANToronto45500**
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

* = Capacity in the bid
** = Estimated capacity with expansions

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I don't understand the logic by the Quebec government on this. Officials think the World Cup will pay for the new roof. :biglaugh:

Money for new Olympic Stadium roof won't sit well with baseball fans

“It’s something that the FIFA requested,” Montreal city councillor Rosannie Filato said about the retractable roof during a media scrum Wednesday morning at Centre Nutrilait, the Impact’s practice facility. “However, it’s already something that was going to be done. When we talk about economic impacts and great financial impacts, we’re talking about approximately $200 million (from the World Cup games) that’s estimated to go back to the city of Montreal. So it’s very important to know that while we’re investing in an infrastructure, which will be a long-term investment, we’re also getting short-term benefits of $200 million that’s coming back to the city. So it’s great news.

“There’s not even a direct link between FIFA and the Olympic Stadium roof,” Filato added. “The reason why they’re doing the retractable roof is because it’s a long-term investment because it’s required by more and more associations now to hold large sporting events. So it’s symbolic because we gave our (World Cup) candidacy, now it’s in Montreal, so it seems to be an investment that’s directly for soccer. Of course it’s going to benefit (soccer) but it’s going to benefit the city of Montreal to get the FIFA World Cup. But there’s no direct link between the sports.”

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I don't understand the logic by the Quebec government on this. Officials think the World Cup will pay for the new roof. :biglaugh:

Money for new Olympic Stadium roof won't sit well with baseball fans

“It’s something that the FIFA requested,” Montreal city councillor Rosannie Filato said about the retractable roof during a media scrum Wednesday morning at Centre Nutrilait, the Impact’s practice facility. “However, it’s already something that was going to be done. When we talk about economic impacts and great financial impacts, we’re talking about approximately $200 million (from the World Cup games) that’s estimated to go back to the city of Montreal. So it’s very important to know that while we’re investing in an infrastructure, which will be a long-term investment, we’re also getting short-term benefits of $200 million that’s coming back to the city. So it’s great news.

“There’s not even a direct link between FIFA and the Olympic Stadium roof,” Filato added. “The reason why they’re doing the retractable roof is because it’s a long-term investment because it’s required by more and more associations now to hold large sporting events. So it’s symbolic because we gave our (World Cup) candidacy, now it’s in Montreal, so it seems to be an investment that’s directly for soccer. Of course it’s going to benefit (soccer) but it’s going to benefit the city of Montreal to get the FIFA World Cup. But there’s no direct link between the sports.”

Ya. That is nuts. The BC Government, usually mindlessly stupid, total Spendthrifts actually refused to even engage in bidding, handing over a blank check to FIFA.... Youd think the politico's in Montreal & Quebec wouldve learned their lesson by now as well.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

Usually, the world cup sees about 80% of visiting ''fans'' and 20% of locals attends the matches.

Don't be too surprised, it's the Quebec's government. The way I read it tho is they expect to get $200M from visitors spending and everything else, not really from FIFA/WCOrg

But I understand the things. Montreal wants baseball. Montreal needs a new stadium for baseball.

Problem numero uno is putting $200M on the old Olympic stadium.
Problem numero dos is 2010+ baseball stadiums are no where near as big as they used to be.
But it would be a great opportunity to build a new stadium that suits baseball and can be ''converted'' for a World Cup match.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
I think using the money to build a new stadium indeed makes more sense then a new roof for the Stade Olympique.

Build a new stadium, make it seat around 40 000 people, base it on a cheap, simple design like PNC Park in Pittsburg. And Montreal will get World Cup games AND an MLB team. PNC Park cost 299 million US in modern dollars.

That, what, 500 millions in Canadian dollars? That's not much more expensive then a new roof for the Stade Olympique!

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
I think using the money to build a new stadium indeed makes more sense then a new roof for the Stade Olympique.

Build a new stadium, make it seat around 40 000 people, base it on a cheap, simple design like PNC Park in Pittsburg. And Montreal will get World Cup games AND an MLB team. PNC Park cost 299 million US in modern dollars.

That, what, 500 millions in Canadian dollars? That's not much more expensive then a new roof for the Stade Olympique!

Unfortunately govt seems dead set on keeping the Big O alive and the roof project will is a go no matter what. WC is just an excuse to invest even more. RIO already talks how the new roof will be there for 50 years, at least 50 more years of throwing money each year down the toilet. Nice to have business tenants like Desjardins but they will never make this "investment" profitable.

Wish they could just bite the bullet and tear it down even if the cost is reported to be +700m for demolishing. Sooner or later it will have to happen, may as well limit the damage but no politician will dare to make that call.

Last edited:
Reactions: cutchemist42

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
It was sold as a shared bid and as such all countries should receive reap the rewards of the win. Having the US hold all the elimination games and 50 of the 70 total games (and probably all of the marquees matches on top of that) while the other two countries get the scraps is a pathetic attempt at distributing the matches.

FIFA's mandate is to grow the game supposedly. Giving a country that has never hosted a men's World Cup for than a handful of matches while bringing significant matches back to the country that will not have hosted in 40 years come 2026 would be a good place to start. The US would still get the most matches and the finals. There should be more of a genuine attempt at sharing this World Cup among the countries involved.

I agree everyone one should reap benefits but I still fail to see why Canada should reap more than our proportional fair share...just because we are small and irrelevant?

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
FIFA and the World Cup can rot in hell. Probably the most corrupt organizations in the world is FIFA.

Reactions: Killion

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
FIFA and the World Cup can rot in hell. Probably the most corrupt organizations in the world is FIFA.

Definitively in the top three, with the IOC and the UN.

If I were to write a recommendation to solve the FIFA and IOC corruption problems... here's what I recommend:

There really needs to be parallel independant anti-corruption unit given the authority to unlock any door, get the audio of any meeting, question anyone, fire anyone in FIFA, and made truly independant of the regular power structure.

It's how States do it (like in Québec the UPAC), China also had a major anti-corruption campaign recently. It can be done.

The difficult thing is finding someone truly uncorrutible to lead it.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Surprised that Chicago isn’t on the US list?
Not a real big soccer fan but the World Cup is an event..would really like to go... from Winnipeg I’m thinking Denver as there are direct flights ... or Edmonton... not sure where would be easiest to get tickets and prices?
Don’t really care on teams (although watching Canada would be cool)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad