OT: 44 cities in North America seeking to host FIFA World Cup 2026

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Surprised that Chicago isn’t on the US list?

Yeah here is the reason, pretty much the same reason as Vancouver:

Chicago was the site of the 1994 World Cup opener but declined to be part of the U.S. bid.
Matthew McGrath, a spokesman for Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, said in March: “FIFA could not provide a basic level of certainty on some major unknowns that put our city and taxpayers at risk. The uncertainty for taxpayers, coupled with FIFA's inflexibility and unwillingness to negotiate, were clear indications that further pursuit of the bid wasn't in Chicago's best interests.”
“It is the event’s loss not to be in a world-class city like Chicago,” a spokesman for the Fire said. “We support Mayor Emanuel’s decision, which was made in the best interest of our city.”

U.S., Mexico and Canada win joint bid for 2026 World Cup; Chicago won't be a host site

Interesting to note:

To counter concerns about severe travel, the bid said teams would be placed in regional clusters. It also has proposed not one traditional opening match but three (one in each nation).

Canada does not have a suitable venue to host a real opener (+80 000 seats). Guess the triple opener would not have the same requirements as a single one.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
FIFA, while of course having a history of ridiculous corruption, IS getting better.

For example, the vote for 2026... instead of a secret ballot of 24 executive council members like the old days, it was each country's soccer federations voting, and every country's vote was made public.

People expected it to be a very close vote that could go either way. And the United bid won in a landslide.

OF COURSE it won in a landslide: the bid was Twice as lucrative, with massive stadiums already built.

But the 2022 vote, common sense and sanity lost to putting the tournament in a country with fewer people than Dayton, Ohio and a 120 degree temperatures.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I don't understand the logic by the Quebec government on this. Officials think the World Cup will pay for the new roof. :biglaugh:

Money for new Olympic Stadium roof won't sit well with baseball fans

“It’s something that the FIFA requested,” Montreal city councillor Rosannie Filato said about the retractable roof during a media scrum Wednesday morning at Centre Nutrilait, the Impact’s practice facility. “However, it’s already something that was going to be done. When we talk about economic impacts and great financial impacts, we’re talking about approximately $200 million (from the World Cup games) that’s estimated to go back to the city of Montreal. So it’s very important to know that while we’re investing in an infrastructure, which will be a long-term investment, we’re also getting short-term benefits of $200 million that’s coming back to the city. So it’s great news.

“There’s not even a direct link between FIFA and the Olympic Stadium roof,” Filato added. “The reason why they’re doing the retractable roof is because it’s a long-term investment because it’s required by more and more associations now to hold large sporting events. So it’s symbolic because we gave our (World Cup) candidacy, now it’s in Montreal, so it seems to be an investment that’s directly for soccer. Of course it’s going to benefit (soccer) but it’s going to benefit the city of Montreal to get the FIFA World Cup. But there’s no direct link between the sports.”

I would be very surprised if all this has majority support from Montrealers and Quebecers. I like the way this mayor keeps saying a baseball stadium project would need a referendum but nothing on this soccer thing.

That's 200-300 million for JUST a new roof. I also expect a few hundred million more proposed for soon for aesthetic improvements, new speakers, new scoreboards, etc. etc. You know FIFA requests it (the members currently not on trial in NYC) so it's gotta happen! 2-3 soccer games in Montreal could easily cost north of $500 million.

Some opposition politicians would be smart to stand against this. It would be a winning issue for them. Only some VIP wannabees in City Hall and Quebec City are ok with this overpriced soccer party.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Mike Smyth: Read FIFA’s shocking ‘Host City Agreement’ for the World Cup

for those who have not read it

for a city like Edmonton who will get 3 games--they will love the games till the bills start coming in

A lot of that is ridiculous. (A lot of it also things you're going to do anyway if you have a huge event).

I think the USA 2022 bid that lost to Qatar had a budget of $770 million. And it was literally 50-50 split between: Security, and the insane tax stuff FIFA demands so their executives can be treated like royalty. Everything else required to hold the events in US Stadiums are already totally in place.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
The NHL is very close to them.

Comparing an organization with owners who wants to make money of their investments, with an organization where smart politicians are getting status and perks from something others build up, and they haven't invested in themselves- except their carrieers- is IMHO bad judgment.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Comparing an organization with owners who wants to make money of their investments, with an organization where smart politicians are getting status and perks from something others build up, and they haven't invested in themselves- except their carrieers- is IMHO bad judgment.
They all use the same methods - political pressure on other entities/people, corruption and caring only about their profits not a community as a whole.

if speaking about the FIFA, at least, they are able to create a fair transfer conditions for the globe, on the other hand, the NHL is doing everything to hinder such deals. That being said, the FIFA is better organisation for development of global sport (soccer) than the NHL (hockey).

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I would be very surprised if all this has majority support from Montrealers and Quebecers. I like the way this mayor keeps saying a baseball stadium project would need a referendum but nothing on this soccer thing.

That's 200-300 million for JUST a new roof. I also expect a few hundred million more proposed for soon for aesthetic improvements, new speakers, new scoreboards, etc. etc. You know FIFA requests it (the members currently not on trial in NYC) so it's gotta happen! 2-3 soccer games in Montreal could easily cost north of $500 million.

Some opposition politicians would be smart to stand against this. It would be a winning issue for them. Only some VIP wannabees in City Hall and Quebec City are ok with this overpriced soccer party.

Those of us in Winnipeg understand how the taxpayers in Montreal/Quebec feel. When Jets 1.0 were desperate for a new arena in the early to mid 90's in order for the team to survive, they were told by government there was no public funds available for construction of a new building. The Jets ended up leaving for Phoenix as a result and yet the government somehow came up with $ 129 million to host the 1999 Pan-Am games which ran from July 23 to August 8 of that year. It seemed it was more important for our politicians to be VIPs for an event that would last just over two weeks than to help construct a new arena that was needed since the late 70's.

:jets

Jason316

Oct 3, 2017
Santa Monica California
Yeah here is the reason, pretty much the same reason as Vancouver:

U.S., Mexico and Canada win joint bid for 2026 World Cup; Chicago won't be a host site

Interesting to note:

Canada does not have a suitable venue to host a real opener (+80 000 seats). Guess the triple opener would not have the same requirements as a single one.

I think Vancouver would have been a better choice then Edmonton. The NDP provincial government need to go. I will be driving 2.5 -3 hrs to Seattle to watch. Hopefully they get more then 1 game.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
What sort of price range for a ticket to a World Cup game? Not say a England vs Germany but like a Australia vs Nigeria type game? Face value?
Like $200 for a upper deck ?
I’m not a massive soccer fan but I would really like to take in the atmosphere... would tickets go through Ticketmaster or is there some weird FIFFA ticket agency ?

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
What sort of price range for a ticket to a World Cup game? Not say a England vs Germany but like a Australia vs Nigeria type game? Face value?
Like $200 for a upper deck ?
I’m not a massive soccer fan but I would really like to take in the atmosphere... would tickets go through Ticketmaster or is there some weird FIFFA ticket agency ?

Pricing for this year WC:

Ticket prices for 2018 World Cup in Russia
MatchCategory 1Category 2Category 3Category 4 - Russian residents
Opening match£414*£294£166£42**
Group matches£158£124£79£17
Round of 16£185£139£87£29
Quarter-finals£275£192£132£50
Semi-finals£565£362£215£59
3rd/4th place play-off£275£192£132£50
Final£829£535£343£92
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Russia World Cup 2018: First tickets for finals go on sale

Apparently everyone must have a FAN ID + ticket to enter games. Is this a way to kill secondary market resale? Official transfer/resale rules are here:

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ - Ticket Transfer / Resale - FIFA.com

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Pricing for this year WC:

Russia World Cup 2018: First tickets for finals go on sale

Apparently everyone must have a FAN ID + ticket to enter games. Is this a way to kill secondary market resale? Official transfer/resale rules are here:

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ - Ticket Transfer / Resale - FIFA.com
I'm guessing it's more of a "security" thing that really collects personal info and uses it to target marketing in the future that also happens to limit resale.

ETA: I looked, it's apparently an ID required by the government and eliminates the need for a Visa to enter Russia.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I'm guessing it's more of a "security" thing that really collects personal info and uses it to target marketing in the future that also happens to limit resale.

ETA: I looked, it's apparently an ID required by the government and eliminates the need for a Visa to enter Russia.

They had the same thing in Sochi and you needed to surrender it when leaving.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
This is going to suck. 3 countries hosting is so lame. Mexico has hosted twice its very degrading and insulting to them to not give them their own World Cup. They could use the tourism boost especially smaller cities. Last was 86 so they were due for one relatively soon they probably should have gotten 2026 for themselves.

American fans bought the most tickets of any nation for Russia lol there is no chance anyone gets a face value ticket through the system everything will end up in the hands of scalpers and priced 1000+ on resale sites it will be cheaper to fly to Mexico or somewhere like Edmonton to attend.

Quatar will probably be awesome if you can get there and find lodging and a rental car since its so small. Stadiums will be empty fans will likely walk into games for free. But people are going to be pissed off June 2022 when there are no games to watch.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
This is going to suck. 3 countries hosting is so lame. Mexico has hosted twice its very degrading and insulting to them to not give them their own World Cup. They could use the tourism boost especially smaller cities. Last was 86 so they were due for one relatively soon they probably should have gotten 2026 for themselves.

Tourism in Mexico is growing nicely. They'll be fine.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Tourism in Mexico is growing nicely. They'll be fine.

Sure.

I just hate the split bid Foxboro is guaranteed some games since Kraft was part of the bid but we won't get good ones we would have if it was US only. With how Boston sports fans act and since the region isn't exactly poor we are going to specifically be given the worst match ups because they know it will be full and people will fork over 500 bucks to see Saudi Arabia play China.

Point is Mexico or Canada hosting on their own would be fabulous. Cooler than the USA hosting. Definitely worth trying to go to. Splitting it between 3 is lame and ruins it IMO.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

Spent an hour trying to figure this one out and...nope, don't get it. What does Quebec City has to do with anything that happens in Montreal ?

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
FIFA makes the IOC look honest and they are the only sports organization in the world that the IOC defers to.

Russia won the 2018 tournament and the merits of that choice can be debated.

How Russia won the World Cup

Qatar??? A country with a population roughly the size of Denver is going to build 12 stadiums :help:

Jack Warner from Trinidad somehow wound up controlling North American soccer. :help:

Jack Warner says USMNT loss "happiest day of my life"

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
The only thing I care about is the Azteca for the finale. You can literally have all the other games in Halifax as long as the best football stadium ever gets its third go around.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

Yes it is a visa for the turney. Are buyer names printed on tickets or somehow tied to the ID?

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
FIFA makes the IOC look honest and they are the only sports organization in the world that the IOC defers to.

Russia won the 2018 tournament and the merits of that choice can be debated.

How Russia won the World Cup

Qatar??? A country with a population roughly the size of Denver is going to build 12 stadiums :help:

Jack Warner from Trinidad somehow wound up controlling North American soccer. :help:

Jack Warner says USMNT loss "happiest day of my life"

I know many people question this, but Qatar is richer than half of the states.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad