OT: 44 cities in North America seeking to host FIFA World Cup 2026

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
I know many people question this, but Qatar is richer than half of the states.
I guess so, but what does that have to do with hosting a world cup. They don't deserve a world cup, aren't big enough to host a world cup, don't have the infrastructure or population to host.....they bribed their way into this which has been proven

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I know many people question this, but Qatar is richer than half of the states.

I guess so, but what does that have to do with hosting a world cup. They don't deserve a world cup, aren't big enough to host a world cup, don't have the infrastructure or population to host.....they bribed their way into this which has been proven

And it screws up everyone’s domestic leagues for multiple years.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
What sort of price range for a ticket to a World Cup game? Not say a England vs Germany but like a Australia vs Nigeria type game? Face value?
Like $200 for a upper deck ?
I’m not a massive soccer fan but I would really like to take in the atmosphere... would tickets go through Ticketmaster or is there some weird FIFFA ticket agency ?

Most likely, the only way you're getting a ticket is if you apply during the FIFA sale windows. Resales for World Cup tickets are extremely difficult now. They don't really issue paper tickets. You'll probably get something like a debit card with your ticket on it, or you'll get a scanable "passport" with all your information. Good luck re-selling that.

Even the 2015 Women's World Cup had some funny rules. Paper tickets were issued, but they had to be printed by the ticket buyer, link to tickets provided by FIFA to your e-mail address a few weeks before the game. Obviously, the printed PDF could have been physically transferred, but doing so would be extremely risky.

In '94, I was able to go to the Germany - Bulgaria Quarterfinal at Giants Stadium (a bunch of tickets quietly went on sale from FIFA only at the Meadowlands Box Office a few days before the game). I also bought tickets for the semi-final (same thing happened -- FIFA released tickets a week before the game) with the intent of making a killing on them. It was lined up to be Germany - Italy, but Bulgaria spoiled the party.

As for the prices, a group stage game, and each team will likely have only two, I'd estimate, the best seats will go for about $150, "Category 2" about $100, "Category 3" about $75, and they'll do something for "the soccer community" in each host city, i.e. youth, and club teams in a Cat 4 for $40 or so.

Knockout games add maybe $25-35 (Round of 32 and 16).

Quarters would probably be your last real affordable ticket.

Semis would be like a NHL/NBA Finals price on resale.

Final - Super Bowl

For myself, assuming I'm still living in the Southeast, I'll apply for tickets in Nashville and Atlanta. Hopefully get one or two games.

Last edited:

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

What ? Look at the current stadiums in Russia...it's about 20% locals and 80% of tourists.
It's like saying that Salk Lake City shouldn't have got the 2002 Olympics because the city's population is only 200 000.
They may have bribed their way into the cup, that's not the point I wanna argue about. It's the population/size point.
I guess some European countries should never host the world cup because they are smaller than Denver despite having 1000000% more soccer fans and players than the whole USA.

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
What ? Look at the current stadiums in Russia...it's about 20% locals and 80% of tourists.
It's like saying that Salk Lake City shouldn't have got the 2002 Olympics because the city's population is only 200 000.
They may have bribed their way into the cup, that's not the point I wanna argue about. It's the population/size point.
I guess some European countries should never host the world cup because they are smaller than Denver despite having 1000000% more soccer fans and players than the whole USA.
Sorry, I shouldn't have said population, as it is irrelevant actually....but, the infrastructure is just not there to accommodate that many people

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Pretty interesting that the multiple 20,000 stadium in host city is just coming up now, in relation to LV saying how they cant justify hosting.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
For reference for the ticket pricing. Last years' Copa America tournament in the US, I bought a venue pass to see all 3 games played in Seattle. When we bought we had no idea on the games or teams except a guarantee of Argentina. We ended up with Haiti-Peru, Argentina-Bolivia and 1 QF game which ended up being US-Ecuador. Cost was about $260 per package and I think that was the or 2nd cheapest option available.We were low in the bleacher end zone. If I recall, the group games worked out to $75/ticket and the QF at $110/ticket. I would expect higher pricing in 2026.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->