OT: 44 cities in North America seeking to host FIFA World Cup 2026

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I'm hoping against hope Winnipeg is considered for a Canadian venue... With Winnipeg doing a great job hosting the Women's World Cup I thought at least it would give a bit of a nudge to the chances.
Also a new stadium that can be expanded central time zone...
Also Edmonton should be given consideration..the city had supported international soccer more than just about any other city in North America...
But in reality it will be The Holly Trinity of Canadian cities...Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver...

Winnipeg decided not to even put their hat into the ring. They said they looked at the hotel requirements and knew that the city would not be chosen.

I'm really sour.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
So just asking, but when they say cities decide to bid, who is actually doing so? The city councils, or the managements of each stadium?

Basically, when a city like Winnipeg declines to bid while Calgary does, who's making that call?

AngryScotsman

Feb 17, 2013
Northern Ontario
So just asking, but when they say cities decide to bid, who is actually doing so? The city councils, or the managements of each stadium?

Basically, when a city like Winnipeg declines to bid while Calgary does, who's making that call?

Might be up to the individual associations. So in that case id fathom a guess and say the Canadian soccer association made that call...

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

See #55

In Winnipeg's case it was the MSA.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Some requirements according to this article. Why Winnipeg, who quite successfully hosted games of the Women's 2015 World Cup, didn't bother trying to bid for the Men's. Just can't meet the requirements.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/08/15/winnipeg-left-off-world-cup-list

“We had some tough questions they had tough answers to,†Manitoba Soccer Association executive director Hector Vergara was saying, Tuesday. “And based on that information it was determined that it wasn't feasible. The requirement of the men's World Cup is much different than the requirements of the women's World Cup. It's the way FIFA operates.

- The stadiums, which must have 40,000 permanent seats. Not temporary -- permanent.

- the FIFA requirement for grass fields.

- They require at least two practice venues per team, and they have to be grass fields. And they have to be at the same level as the actual playing field for the competition. Dressing rooms, all the amenities required by them.

- another of FIFA's demands: luxury accommodations for the pampered athletes and VIP's. They need five-star hotels, as well as the number of rooms to go with that.

Some of these demands will whittle that list down quickly.

Thanks for cbcwpg pointing me towards this post!

So just now wondering, does BMO/Saputo/any-other-stadium-really work as a 40,000 permanent seat stadium? Can you tear down what was the permanent seats after the WC?

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
After reading those demands Calgary must have a stadium plan in the works.

There's been a big todo in Calgary over a new arena/stadium plan, although it's been put on ice atm awaiting the results of the upcoming local elections.

The list calls for McMahon Stadium to be used but if Calgary ends up getting the Olympics (ech) there might end up being a new FIFA-caliber stadium built by the time the WC kicks off.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
The most important question: will Canada get automatic entry into the tournament as a host?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The most important question: will Canada get automatic entry into the tournament as a host?

The official answer is FIFA hasn't made a decision yet on how they would allocate automatic entries when multiple countries host. The common belief is Canada would probably get an entry, but nothing has been formally decided by FIFA.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
One option could be to guarantee one or two host spots and have all of them participate in the qualification normally.

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I fully expect Canada and Mexico to get automatic qualifying spots for the 2026 FIFA World Cup if the North American bid is successful, especially with the expanded 48 team format. How disappointing would it be if your country hosted games, but also wasn't participating in the tournament? I'm also curious how that would affect CONCACAF World Cup qualifying for the rest of the region.

Also Canada has been improving a lot lately as a soccer nation, and even though they chocked in qualifying for Russia in 2018, I like their chances for Qatar in 2022.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
Canada is definitely getting in as a host, it's the whole reason they're so insistent on tagging along with this venture going well back to when they were contemplating a standalone hosting bid. CONCACAF's president is Canadian and he wants to be involved in the party.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
The official answer is FIFA hasn't made a decision yet on how they would allocate automatic entries when multiple countries host. The common belief is Canada would probably get an entry, but nothing has been formally decided by FIFA.

South Korea and Japan co-hosted WC in 2002 and both got automatic qualifiers. Poland and Ukraine co-hosted Euro 2012 and both got automatic qualifiers from UEFA (a branch of FIFA). I can't see why it would be any different this time but I guess you never know.

Yes you are right it is still up for confirmation:

* The host country would also automatically qualify for the FIFA World Cup, and its slot would be taken from the quota of its confederation. In the event of co-hosting, the number of host countries to qualify automatically would be decided by the FIFA Council.

http://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/news...allocation-for-the-2026-fifa-wor-2878254.html

With expansion to 48, I certainly hope 3 will be ok.

Last edited:

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
On this matter, I would imagine that it would be a multi-venue operation, but based on soccer-specific venues. I see ultimately the stadiums that are soccer-specific being used. That would mean 14 stadiums, plus possibly Loubriel Stadium in Puerto Rico, would be used...all 14 are in the USA. In the 1994 World Cup, the event was held in 9 cities and air travel was used between games.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Of course Canada is going to get an automatic bid. Obviously people will still attend if they like soccer but they'll get a whole lot more fans and hence money if team Canada gets to play a couple of games in Canada.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Krafts (Patriots) said they would install a grass field if necessary.

When Gillette Stadium first opened it was a grass surface but they found lack of sunlight in the fall because of the height of the stands made it impossible to maintain the field.

https://www.thebentmusket.com/2017/...urf-fieldturf-new-england-revolution-patriots

I still think there is a good chance the 2022 World Cup will be moved from Qatar, a country of only 2.5 million people that bribed enough FIFA officials to secure the bid. FIFA makes the IOC look good.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Why are people alway have MetLife stadium as in New York when it's in New Jersey? And for that matter why have New York teams (NFL, MLS) stadiums in New Jersey again (before it was in East Rutherford) and not in New York itself?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
There aren't too many locations less than 10 kilometers from Manhattan where you can build such stadiums, business decisions.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Well, the Polo Grounds were right next to Central Park, only 10 km from the current site. I don't know what sense it would have made to move more far away and to a worse location than was necessary just to technically stay within the borders of New York.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I still think there is a good chance the 2022 World Cup will be moved from Qatar, a country of only 2.5 million people that bribed enough FIFA officials to secure the bid. FIFA makes the IOC look good.

The bribing is a problem, but the issue globally is more so Qatar's use of "slave" labour to build their stadiums. Russia also bribed FIFA to get 2018 - though to a lesser degree, and Russia fits the World Cup a lot more than Qatar - and we don't hear many if any calls to pull it away from them. FIFA can ignore bribery, they can't ignore their host country committing massive human rights violations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad