Player Discussion Oskar Steen (4/10/22 re-signed 2 years, $800k/yr)

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Got my Oscar Steen tshirt :)

full

will 62 be permanent tho?

Reactions: TCB

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
They should trade Debrusk, while his value is starting to rise . There is no future for him with the team

And give Steen a FT job at the 3rd line. Good connection developing between Steen and Coyle

Of course, they will trade JDB.

The question is what they will get for him. Apparently, and alarmingly on at least two levels, Sweeney has sought a one for one deal with several clubs.

Alarming in that there were no takers, at least relative to the Bruins' ask.

As alarming to me, Sweeney may be attempting to trade his problem child straight up for another problem child.

No expert but none of the names I've seen per a one for one occasion much enthusiasm from this corner.

I would much prefer a package deal that nets Boston significant return though dealing from a position of weakness.

That is, 31 managers know Jake wants out. Therefore, few will give up more than they are willing to part with to obtain a player that hamstrung management's flexibility by publically requesting a trade.

We'll see how it goes. Sweeney must be aware that if he blows this one, the axe grows closer. So, logically and understandably, he's going to take his time in finding proper return.

That's the hope, anyway.

Reactions: Gordoff

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Yes , obviously the team played well last night and were hungry but part of the reason was how the team was constructed. Tampa had a hard time trying to contain a more balanced Bruin team . They couldn’t just gang up on the perfection line .

That's what I'm saying.

Suddenly they are receiving production from all four lines, and it all began with breaking up the first line. A happy cascade ensued. Add in Steen & Blidh, Freddie, Lazar. Hall, Haula, Taylor. Patrice, Brad, Smith. Charlie, Nick, and yes, Jake (for now).

I understand the good vibes won't last forever, but the Bruins appear to be a far more balanced, effective, and tightly integrated group than they were before adjustments were made.

As critical as I am of SweeNeely/Cassidy, this is good stuff.

Most heartening.

Again, it's remarkable, and

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I heard an interview with Dean Lombardi where he said 'young players help you win in the regular season, veterans help you win in the playoffs. A team that's built too much for the playoffs might not even make it to the post season.'

It feels like the Bruins fell into this trap. They built a team that was so heavy with veterans that there was no way to get a kid into the lineup without an injury, and as soon as the vet got healthy the kid had to go back down.

I think we're seeing the kind of boost you can get from young legs, via Steen and Blidh (or earlier in the season with Zboril).

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I think JFK and Steen are totally different players. JFK more a playmaker who could be a Bergeron light, Steener a goalscorer who doesnt get pushed around. Personally I hope we get lucky and Steen can be another Marchand. They share some similarities but its a long way for Steen but he already has more points than Marchy did in his first 20 games :sarcasm:

he has a higher goal scoring ability than jfk did as a prospect profile wise but as we saw last night (and while a small sample size also reflected in his stats) he can generate a lot of offense with his positioning strength and passing ability

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

With powerful legs and willingness to charge to the net, Bruins’ Oskar Steen makes up for short stature - The Boston Globe

Oskar Steen may be only 5 feet 9 inches, among the shortest players on the Bruins roster, but the sparkplug Swedish forward stretches the measuring tape nearly from here to Stockholm when it’s wrapped around either of his oversized, running-back-like thighs.
A photo of an impish Steen, 23, circulated on the internet in recent days, featuring the rookie standing in a dressing room, clutching a small doll chest-high as if it were a post-game trophy. In the shot, Steen is dressed in sweater and shorts, the latter exposing his jumbo-sized quadriceps, looking as if he were auditioning for the lead in a Popeye feature film.
“I like that description,” coach Bruce Cassidy noted during a media Zoom session late in the week. “He’s a stout player. He’s stocky, right? A shorter guy, but he’s not light, per se, weight wise.”

He again added his name to the scoresheet, making the key feed to fellow Swede Anton Blidh for the late second-period goal that bumped the lead to 4-0 over the Lightning. The 165th pick in the 2016 draft, Steen has posted a 1-4—5 line in seven games this season and assuredly will be back on the job Monday night when the Bruins face the Caps in D.C.

In fact, both Steen and the dogged Blidh (2-3—5 in 14 games), the 180th pick in 2013, have made themselves essential personnel among the bottom six forwards on Cassidy’s crew. They’re hard on pucks, smart and effective along the the wall, willing to charge to areas around the offensive net that often translate into hard knocks and well-earned points.
They’re playing with the force, smarts, and effectiveness that some prior young forward candidates with higher profiles here — the likes of Ryan Donato, Anders Bjork, and even Danton Heinen — too often dismissed or flashed only in spurts. Prized pick Jake DeBrusk, who could be available for duty in Washington after his second tour on the COVID list, delivered that kind of smart moxie for a couple of years, but strayed from it. He remains on the roster, while GM Don Sweeney pokes around the league to honor the trade request the 25-year-old made public prior to Thanksgiving.

“He’s got powerful legs and it’s made up probably for some of the areas [in his build and game] that he doesn’t have … he gets around the ice, he’s powerful and he uses it well,” said Cassidy. “He’s a sturdy guy and I imagine [the thighs] it makes it even harder to knock him off the puck, and when he gets inside position.”

Steen’s size and particularly his build, with its emphasis on quad conditioning and dynamic leg strength, is reminiscent of Martin St. Louis, the Hockey Hall of Famer who starred at the University of Vermont and for many years in Tampa.

“What I’ve liked about his game,” mused Cassidy, “is that he’s able to get inside guys in a hurry, with a lower center of gravity, and get his shot off. And that’s probably a combination of A. willingness, and B. a powerful core and a good first step.”
In that context, noted Cassidy, Steen also compares well with the 5-9 Brad Marchand, among the NHL’s top-scoring wingers in recent years.

“He’s starting his career, while Marchy’s well into it and an elite player,” reflected Cassidy, who was coaching at AHL Providence when Marchand arrived there over a decade ago as a first-year pro. “Marchy had some of those attributes when he was younger. Marchy was much more of a guy who would stir the pot, but you know what? Oskar is in there and he annoys people, too. He’s not afraid of any situation. That would be the similarity in how they compete, play the game and be successful offensively — by using their stature to their advantage.”

“I love Steener’s game — he’s a really, really competitive guy,” added Marchand. “I think some of the similarities are that we both like to compete and battle … a little smaller in stature, but we get into those dirty areas. You have to do that at this level, and he’s done it since the first day he’s been here. He’s not scared to go to the corner. He’s not scared to go to the front of the net. He gets in on forechecks. He competes and battles with bigger guys … not only does he go in there, but he comes out with the puck. At this level you have to do that, win those one-on-one battles.”

Sheer strength alone rarely gets the job done, but when combined with will, hockey IQ, and guile, smaller players like Steen who combined all three elements often succeed in today’s NHL.
“St. Louis is an example,” said Cassidy, “but I use Brayden Point (Tampa/5-10) and [Andrew] Mangiapane (5-10) in Calgary’s done that well … you can go down the list of guys who are willing to play the game inside. Theo Fleury was a small guy who was fearless. Guys who can do that, and find their way through there, there’s room for them in the game.”

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
To be fair he’s cherry picking his advanced analytics if you looks at even strength goals for the bruins are in the bottom 10. If you factor in games in hand they are still in the bottom half of the league.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
To be fair he’s cherry picking his advanced analytics if you looks at even strength goals for the bruins are in the bottom 10. If you factor in games in hand they are still in the bottom half of the league.

That’s not cherry picking stats. xGF/xGA are very basic analytics. The Bruins haven’t been able to score well (until recently) but they had the opportunities. And they’re limiting opportunities for the opposition better than any team in the league.

Reactions: PlayMakers

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
That’s not cherry picking stats. xGF/xGA are very basic analytics. The Bruins haven’t been able to score well (until recently) but they had the opportunities. And they’re limiting opportunities for the opposition better than any team in the league.
Bruins have been fairly high in both of those categories most of the year, but it hasn’t matched the actual GF/GA until recently.

To be fair the coach finally changed the lines and integrate young talent after it has been requested at nauseam from fans, and now it’s working. The calling for his job was when the results weren’t there and he was unwilling to make adjustments.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

There was an article about this recently, it talked about how the Bruins have had the worst save pct and shooting pct in the league, and that both were way below the norm, and that when those numbers corrected, they were going to go on a helluva run.

The article was on a Toronto website and it was basically saying beware the Bruins.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
There was an article about this recently, it talked about how the Bruins have had the worst save pct and shooting pct in the league, and that both were way below the norm, and that when those numbers corrected, they were going to go on a helluva run.

The article was on a Toronto website and it was basically saying beware the Bruins.

Right. Reading this board sometimes it feels like the Bruins are Columbus, when they have these basic analytics, and they’re 8-1-1 in their last 10 on the road.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

That's basically what PDO aka puck luck measures and currently Boston has the 7th lowest PDO. In theory they should start to get better puck luck as the season goes on.

On the flip side the Rangers have the 7th highest PDO. When you look at their metrics though they are sub 50% in everything. I wouldn't be surprised to see them regress as the season goes on.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
That's what I'm saying.

Suddenly they are receiving production from all four lines, and it all began with breaking up the first line. A happy cascade ensued. Add in Steen & Blidh, Freddie, Lazar. Hall, Haula, Taylor. Patrice, Brad, Smith. Charlie, Nick, and yes, Jake (for now).

I understand the good vibes won't last forever, but the Bruins appear to be a far more balanced, effective, and tightly integrated group than they were before adjustments were made.

As critical as I am of SweeNeely/Cassidy, this is good stuff.

Most heartening.

Again, it's remarkable, and

Did you hear DK wanted to play with Pasta and Bruce said no…from DKs mouth himself

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Did you hear DK wanted to play with Pasta and Bruce said no…from DKs mouth himself

Yes.

The only thing I can think of is, keep that number one line together, because they bring home the bacon.

Everything after, we'll figure it out.

Coaches are a conservative lot. Their rope is short. What works today, not necessarily tomorrow, is what works in getting results, and, hopefully, a W.

I don't blame them. Human nature.

However, when you're not in the forest, you might see the trees.

The trees -- in this case, the first line and all the rest -- needed separation, and reconfiguration.

Now, you have something to work with.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Steen reminds me a bit of Noel Acciari in that he's a short but stockier guy who's got incredible strength through his legs and core and a low center of gravity, both of which make him very hard to shift and a tough guy to battle with and knock off pucks. But he's got better hands and mobility than Noel, so he's got that higher upside and skill too. I know there's starting to be some talk around him even having top 6 potential, but I'm quite that far on board with him yet. Which isn't to say that he can't be, just need to see how he continues to progress and develop at this level. In the meantime he's making a very strong case to be a quality bottom 6 winger who can play hard and physical while also contributing solid production with a good passing game and pretty high hockey IQ, and that in itself is the kind of win the Bruins have been crying out for this season. Fingers crossed he can keep it up.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Steen reminds me of Pageau

Short but scrappy. Underrated skills.

Not fun to play against

Reactions: TCB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad