Player Discussion Oskar Steen (4/10/22 re-signed 2 years, $800k/yr)

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I agree! I think Lazar was our best 4th liner all season.
I'd rather keep him and get rid of Nosek or Foligno.
Wonder if Foligno might just retire to be with his young family. He'll be 35 in October, he doesn't have much left in the tank! Hand him over a Front Office position where he doesn't have to travel and can continue being around the boys!
Why would anyone in their right mind retire when they're guaranteed millions of dollars to play a kids game for another season?

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
my best guess is most likely $$$. Lazar as a UFA may double his pay. 1.5 to maybe 1.8 aav.
A kid can be slotted there for less. Every bit counts.
The line next year will be the same one as this year
my best guess is most likely $$$. Lazar as a UFA may double his pay. 1.5 to maybe 1.8 aav.

The fourth lines pretty much set and pretty expensive as well with foligno-Nosek

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Why would anyone in their right mind retire when they're guaranteed millions of dollars to play a kids game for another season?
Maybe because he made over 50 million dollars in his career, has had to sacrifice many kids birthdays, holidays etc, had a scare with his daughter's health. Maybe he's wealthy enough to just call it quits? I also mentioned the option where he may take a front office job and not have to travel.......who knows what he could get paid doing something like that?

Reactions: HustleB

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Be great if we can sign Blidh to the same deal. Those two as the 4th line wingers next year would be great. Both with ability to move up the line up to.

Yes... but maybe Blidh/agent are going to explore the market also

If I was him I would. Would want more mins/longer contract.

Unluckily for the Bruins. I think he will be in demand

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
so far, lazar has been on all minimum salary deals. i'm not sure he does anything that's worth much
more, but if you can get it, get it. i could see him staying for a very reasonable deal, seems to like it
and he's a nice 12-13 guy.

as for steen, liked what he brought early on. then he kind of disappeared. not surprising, happens
to lots of young guys. big summer for him.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
I don’t know how, but the Bruins need to make room for young players like Steen and Studnicka next year, as they are no longer waiver exempt.
They made room for him when they gave him a two-year, one-way contract next season, IMO. They’re either going to make him a fourth-line mainstay next year or mix him into the rotation for depth.

Lazar might very well make $2m for a year or two on the open market. Not sure I see Boston paying him something like that.

everett rats

Oct 13, 2017
Steen lauko ahead of nosek or lazar lol fans really don't know hockey ..I'm sure Steen lauko would be better pk

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Nosek may become a valuable playoff performer
When the knights went on their run he was a key performer
Cassidy needs to get that fourth line solidified asap

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I like Lazar a lot but I’d avoid giving him the Wagner contract. Steen to me isn’t really a 4th line style player but if that’s where he needs to fit in then I’m all for it.

False Start

May 8, 2018
Nosek may become a valuable playoff performer
When the knights went on their run he was a key performer
Cassidy needs to get that fourth line solidified asap
It's crazy, Nosek is very valuable.

Lazar is incredible versatile and useful.

2/3 of the 4th line is pretty good. Even Foligno hasn't been that bad by advanced stats but that line doesn't seem effective together.

False Start

May 8, 2018
I like Lazar a lot but I’d avoid giving him the Wagner contract. Steen to me isn’t really a 4th line style player but if that’s where he needs to fit in then I’m all for it.

Teach Steen to PK. Let him do his thing offensively and you have a 20 point fourth liner minimum.

I feel like the modern day contenders all have skill in the bottom six. Not only for production but in case of injury, one of those guys can step into the top 9. Next year, instead of seeing Nosek up and down we can maybe use Steen instead.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I love Steen’s seriousness and intensity.
If he can earn 4th line LW I really think he has growth potential. I love his board play when he is at his best. It was great in his first few games with Coyle last year but faded quickly. I think he is built like a fire hydrant and has a good feel for playing to his strengths. I like his shot and willingness to shoot. I think working on finding soft spots to shoot from when he doesn't have the puck would be the top thing to work on in terms of moving up the lineup. I feel like his goal should be to emulate Craig Smith offensively and defensively I want him to be a powerful sparkplug, Marchand comes to mind but I am sure there are much better comparisons probably even on the Bruins. I think Steen should be a PK player eventually as he matures. I liked him last night and thought he looked like he knew what was expected in his likely role 4 RW.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
If he can earn 4th line LW I really think he has growth potential. I love his board play when he is at his best. It was great in his first few games with Coyle last year but faded quickly. I think he is built like a fire hydrant and has a good feel for playing to his strengths. I like his shot and willingness to shoot. I think working on finding soft spots to shoot from when he doesn't have the puck would be the top thing to work on in terms of moving up the lineup. I feel like his goal should be to emulate Craig Smith offensively and defensively I want him to be a powerful sparkplug, Marchand comes to mind but I am sure there are much better comparisons probably even on the Bruins. I think Steen should be a PK player eventually as he matures. I liked him last night and thought he looked like he knew what was expected in his likely role 4 RW.
They had him out as first forward pairing on the PK, so seems Monty wants to see that too. He had been pretty meh prior to the goal through the two games. He's fighting for a spot for sure and McLaughlin is going to make him earn it, despite the waiver difference.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
They had him out as first forward pairing on the PK, so seems Monty wants to see that too. He had been pretty meh prior to the goal through the two games. He's fighting for a spot for sure and McLaughlin is going to make him earn it, despite the waiver difference.
I agree. I think Stud also gets thrown into the mix if Nosek is the clear winner at 4C.

Nice to see him score, but he needs to do more. McLaughlin is outworking him right now.
I agree with this. I think McGlauglhin's first 11 games should have Stud, Steen and others on the lookout. I won't be shocked if Steen got cut at the end of the day. Stud as a cut would be a little surprising but not a shocker.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
He used to play PK back in Sweden, scored some shorties too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad