Lindblom Oskar Lindblom Thread: 20-21 Masterton Trophy Winner (9/24/21 Scan - Cancer Free)

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
I'm not crying, you're crying!
dM2RDdy.gif

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
To go off this, the femur as you probably know is considered a "long bone" of the body. Essentially these bones bear a lot of weight and innervate important muscles. In other words, they're the important bones.

If you develop cancer in these bones your prognosis dips significantly. I think it's pretty clear Oskar dodged this bullet considering how well he's doing so quickly.
. Lindblom credited Lindqvist with encouraging him to get his seemingly innocuous leg pain checked more thoroughly in December. When you’re 23 years old and off to the best start of your three-year career, you tend to dismiss midseason aches.
. Flyers’ Oskar Lindblom completes final chemotherapy treatment

I don’t know how accurate this article is but it’s says it in the leg. For Ewing’s sarcoma, the farther away from the trunk of the body the better the prognosis so midfemur like Herzlich isn’t a bad place to get it. You have more treatment options the farther away from the organs in the trunk of the body as well as joints. It’s sound like they caught it early enough and was in an area that could be easily resected without too many side effects.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I don’t know how accurate this article is but it’s says it in the leg. For Ewing’s sarcoma, the farther away from the trunk of the body the better the prognosis so midfemur like Herzlich isn’t a bad place to get it. You have more treatment options the farther away from the organs in the trunk of the body as well as joints. It’s sound like they caught it early enough and was in an area that could be easily resected without too many side effects.

I think that article may be mistaken, because initially it was reported as an upper body injury.
And I don't think he's ever been seen favoring a leg, nor was he ever on crutches.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

Could have been the fibula as well. If I were to guess where in his leg, that would be it. It's non weight bearing. To give you an idea, that's how Donovan McNabb played on a broken leg, because it was the fibula

I think that article may be mistaken, because initially it was reported as an upper body injury.
And I don't think he's ever been seen favoring a leg, nor was he ever on crutches.

I thought it was upper body (arm?). Wasn't that the original report?

This is what I thought too but I don't think anything was official, the diagnosis just coincided with "shoulder pain" if I remember right. Not saying it wouldn't be related, just saying nothing is official I don't think.

I'm anxious to see if Oskar decides to release medical details. Until then it's all conjecture. What is official is that our baby boy is healthy

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not to be a downer but there was the Dave Dravecky situation in baseball. Things only happen when they do. I want to see Oskar do what we all hope that he can but things don't always go the way that we want.

Put only positive energy into the world when it comes to Oskar.

Reactions: Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Dravecky was a different situation.

A cancerous desmoid tumor was found in Dravecky's pitching arm. On October 7, 1988, he underwent surgery, which removed half of the deltoid muscle in his pitching arm and froze the humerus bone in an effort to eliminate all of the cancerous cells. Doctors advised Dravecky to wait until 1990 to pitch again, but Dravecky was determined to pitch in 1989. By July 1989, he was pitching in the minors, and on August 10, he made a highly publicized return to the major leagues, pitching eight innings and defeating Cincinnati 4–3.[9] In his following start, five days later in Montreal, Dravecky pitched three no-hit innings, but in the fifth inning, he felt a tingling sensation in his arm. In the sixth inning, he started off shaky, allowing a home run to the leadoff batter and then hitting the second batter, Andrés Galarraga. Then, on his first pitch to Tim Raines, his humerus bone snapped; the sound of it breaking could be heard throughout the stadium. Dravecky collapsed on the mound. He'd suffered a clean break midway between his shoulder and elbow, ending his season.

The Giants won the National League pennant in 1989 (defeating the Chicago Cubs in the NLCS in five games), and in the post-game celebration, Dravecky's arm was broken a second time when he was running out to the mound to celebrate.[10] A doctor examining Dravecky's x-rays noticed a mass in his arm, which turned out to be malignant. Dravecky's cancer had returned, ending his career.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Could have been the fibula as well. If I were to guess where in his leg, that would be it. It's non weight bearing. To give you an idea, that's how Donovan McNabb played on a broken leg, because it was the fibula

This is what I thought too but I don't think anything was official, the diagnosis just coincided with "shoulder pain" if I remember right. Not saying it wouldn't be related, just saying nothing is official I don't think.

I'm anxious to see if Oskar decides to release medical details. Until then it's all conjecture. What is official is that our baby boy is healthy
They said he had a sore shoulder. Maybe his girlfriend told him to get the nagging leg thing looked at while they were treating the shoulder. Whatever, it’s great to see him on the and finished the treatment.

Reactions: Rebels57

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
They said he had a sore shoulder. Maybe his girlfriend told him to get the nagging leg thing looked at while they were treating the shoulder. Whatever, it’s great to see him on the and finished the treatment.

Oskar said in an interview that Lundquist was in him about getting a pain in his leg checked out.

At least I'm 99% sure somebody posted that earlier but I didnt look very hard for the link.

Reactions: Larry44

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Oskar said in an interview that Lundquist was in him about getting a pain in his leg checked out.

At least I'm 99% sure somebody posted that earlier but I didnt look very hard for the link.

I don't remember hearing that, but I found these stories:

https://www.traderumours.com/index.php?

blog=10413 Philadelphia Flyers' Oskar Lindblom diagnosed with Ewing's sarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer

They both point to the upper body, while Pyett had a swelling in his leg that turned out to be sarcoma when he was with the Phantoms.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad