Oshie, Berglund, & Paajarvi = 0 pts

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I honestly expected a slow start to the season. This team brought in a lot of new people and it's going to take them a bit to get adjusted to the team and Lehtera still has to adjust to the NHL let alone the team itself.

I'm fine with a slow start this season given the circumstances.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yeah I guess he just doesn't seem any more rusty than anyone else on the team. I think that Berglund/oshie/backes just need more time to gel. At the speed games in the NHL are played if you aren't clicking just right the whole sequence falls apart and looks awful. Especially when oshie is the puck carrier/neutral zone playmaker on that line.

I'd rather just keep seeing Berglund, MPS and Lindstrom together.

I really wanted Oshie and Berglund to play together, but those 3 were already working well together.

RR10*

Oshie isn't the problem. Berglund & Ott are. We pay them $6,300,000 for nothing. Porter can replace Ott and I'm sure Jaskin could replace Berglund with the way he's been sucking. Berglund is slow and don't fit it in the Blues system. He doesn't look too motivated. Keeping Sobotka would be much better.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Oshie isn't the problem. Berglund & Ott are. We pay them $6,300,000 for nothing. Porter can replace Ott and I'm sure Jaskin could replace Berglund with the way he's been sucking. Berglund is slow and don't fit it in the Blues system. He doesn't look too motivated. Keeping Sobotka would be much better.

You bring this up in every thread. Berglund hasn't been terrible and I definitely don't believe Jaskin could replace him.

We get it, you don't like Berglund and Ott and you wish Sobotka hadn't made the decision to leave the team.

RR10*

You bring this up in every thread. Berglund hasn't been terrible and I definitely don't believe Jaskin could replace him.

We get it, you don't like Berglund and Ott and you wish Sobotka hadn't made the decision to leave the team.
Sobotka didn't wish to leave. He would've stayed if he got Berglund's salary. And we wouldn't have wasted another $2,600,000 on Ott.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Sobotka didn't wish to leave. He would've stayed if he got Berglund's salary. And we wouldn't have wasted another $2,600,000 on Ott.
Sobokta left over 300k. It was his wish. He wasn't willing to do multi years 3m(what he wanted).

He's gone, Berglund and Ott arent. Get over it

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010

Sobotka wanted 2nd line minutes, which he wasn't going to get regardless of signing Berglund or Ott. Sobotka left because with the additions of Stastny and Lehtera, he was not going to reliably get more than 4th line minutes most of the year.

Army made him reasonable offers, even some in the salary range he was demanding. He left because he wants to be in the top 6 and he doesn't belong there on a good team.

It's got nothing to do with Berglund or Ott.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

Sorry, but that's ********. Sobotka signed with the KHL before he even was heard by the arbitrator. He must have known his salary demands were unreasonable relative to his comparables, or he'd have waited to see the arbitration result since it could have supported his case. To say he didn't wish to leave, when its pretty clear he threw a temper tantrum and left is pretty revisionist.

You can't even come up with a logical thread to support Sobotka's choice, when he professes he wants to play in the NHL, since he'll still be tied to that same one-year contract (even if he's traded) whenever he does return. If that's true, then what does he gain in the KHL this season?

I like Porter, but he does not have the versatility of Ott. Ask opponents which player they fear more: Ott or Porter. Porter doesn't scare anyone. Ott will hit you, he'll win crucial draws, and he can do a serviceable job plugged into any slot in the line-up. Sobotka could have been that guy, but he left. Ott is doing what he's paid for, and when not needed elsewhere he plays a 4th line role WITHOUT WHINING ABOUT IT.

I'm not sure why Berglund is getting shat on so much around here lately. I'm sure it will only get worse since he's not Paul Stastny, but will fill in at center until Paul gets back. But his line (with Backes) has done a great job with puck possession against the oppositions top lines. They're a very effective shut-down line. I want to see more offense, like we did when Steen was there, but the sample size is too small to draw exaggerated conclusions about how they'll do in that department.

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL
I think if we could package all 3 we might be able to get Mason Raymond, I mean he already has 5 goals, that's 5 more than those three combined

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Of course he would have stayed if he got Berglund's salary, but he didn't deserve it so that's too bad for him.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Haven't gotten around to watching a Blues game this year. Was wondering what the story with Oshie is. I recall he had a slow start last season and expect him to turn it up, pretty disappointing to see a player of his caliber make absolutely no noise 5 games in.

Is he generating opportunities? Has he had some close chances? I will get around to watching a game this week, I'd imagine there are high expectations for TJ and I hope he steps up for your teams sake.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Haven't gotten around to watching a Blues game this year. Was wondering what the story with Oshie is. I recall he had a slow start last season and expect him to turn it up, pretty disappointing to see a player of his caliber make absolutely no noise 5 games in.

Is he generating opportunities? Has he had some close chances? I will get around to watching a game this week, I'd imagine there are high expectations for TJ and I hope he steps up for your teams sake.

It's not disappointing. If it continues 20 games in then, yes, I will become more concerned. Five games is nothing in the NHL.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
If Oshie had this five game stretch in games 55-59, nobody would be talking about it. Because it's games 1-5, people are panicky. Calm down for now.

As someone who is far from Bergland's biggest fan, I think his play hasn't been that bad really this year.

Ott is an effective 4th liner. If you want to gripe about the salary, go ahead, but don't tell me that's why we don't have Sobotka because it's not.

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
Not really seeing the point to making playoff predictions in October, or whining about everyone on the team not scoring every other night they play. There's a lot better chance of Oshie or Berglund hitting 50 pts than 15 so who cares if they come in the first 3 weeks. We need our lines and pairing sorted out and healthy for a stretch before nitpicking will even make sense.

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
Oshie has seemed off but no reason to panic. He's 3rd on the team for Hits and 5th for shots on goal. His PP time is down quite a bit from last season and he is starting more in the defensive zone than he hever has in his career. He is being asked to play a different role this season on the shut down line with Backes. so it is going to be an adjustment and he might look out of sorts until he figures it out.

http://fantasy.usatoday.com/news/t-j-oshie-seeing-fewer-offensive-opportunities

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
For all the flack Berglund takes, he has the ability to live up to that contract. Sobotka simply doesn't have the offensive ability Berglund does.

Sobie might not have the offensive "potential" that Berglund has, but Sobotka has more than made up for his lack of over-all skills with, ironically, his gumption and not to mention his FO%.

Bergy's FO% this season started off in the 80% but has recently come back down to earth and hover around his normal 47%.

Considering the more offensive push Berglund is given vs. Sobotka (minues the various times he is moved up in the line-up due to injury) I think Sobotka takes much better advantage of the opportunities that he is given...not the least of which it is telling that Sobie gets moved up to the top line to fill in for injuries and Bergy is not.

This comes from a long time Berglund fan (not only because I frigging needed him to improve to help out my damn FHL) Seriously I was dumb enough a few a seasons back to trade Tavares for him and some extra's but he failed to progress as far as I needed him to to justify the trade.

off topic, this might be why my FHLs are always in a constant "retooling" phase.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
This comes from a long time Berglund fan (not only because I frigging needed him to improve to help out my damn FHL) Seriously I was dumb enough a few a seasons back to trade Tavares for him and some extra's but he failed to progress as far as I needed him to to justify the trade.

Figures.

In my league I have nothing but Lou Lamoriello disciples and in your league there's a guy trading Berglund for Tavares.
I need to swap with someone from your league (Someone other than you...I have Jaden Schwartz on my team and I bet I can get Crosby out of you for that one)

sst338d

Oct 20, 2014
I agree with many on here with the fact that its a little early to panic on the lack of production from some of the guys. It's still very early and several line changes from last season. I am a big anti Berglund fan and I really don't think he has been any different than he normally is. I don't think he has been terrible, but he has not been very effective either, but to me that is him for 90% of the time. I will add that I have been very surprised by the feedback that I have read on here regarding Lehtera though. I have seen all the games including his 3 point game and so far I think he has just looked completely out of place. They went out and gave him a lot of contract for an unproven player, so I really hope he works out, but from what I have seen so far, I don't think he is even on the level of Ott. Now I know this may not be a popular opinion on here to some people and believe me when I say I want him to succeed, so please don't go into off the wall of bashing me for my opinion, but I am really concerned on him being able to play at the NHL level and the contract he was given.

RR10*

I agree with many on here with the fact that its a little early to panic on the lack of production from some of the guys. It's still very early and several line changes from last season. I am a big anti Berglund fan and I really don't think he has been any different than he normally is. I don't think he has been terrible, but he has not been very effective either, but to me that is him for 90% of the time. I will add that I have been very surprised by the feedback that I have read on here regarding Lehtera though. I have seen all the games including his 3 point game and so far I think he has just looked completely out of place. They went out and gave him a lot of contract for an unproven player, so I really hope he works out, but from what I have seen so far, I don't think he is even on the level of Ott. Now I know this may not be a popular opinion on here to some people and believe me when I say I want him to succeed, so please don't go into off the wall of bashing me for my opinion, but I am really concerned on him being able to play at the NHL level and the contract he was given.
You couldn't be more wrong. Lehtera's contract is actually cheap for that type of player. He's been ok and he will only get better. I'm still thinking he's a steal for that contract. It's a joke that Ott gets about the same salary and that Berglund gets $1 mill more. Lehtera is a much better player than Berglund.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
You couldn't be more wrong. Lehtera's contract is actually cheap for that type of player. He's been ok and he will only get better. I'm still thinking he's a steal for that contract. It's a joke that Ott gets about the same salary and that Berglund gets $1 mill more. Lehtera is a much better player than Berglund.

You never disappoint. It's like clockwork.

RR10*

Oshie needs to start producing some goals and assists in regulation time and overtime other then his well documented success in shootouts considering how much he's being paid salary wise.
Oshie's really cheap for what he brings. He has only $475,000 more than Berglund.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad