Oshie, Berglund, & Paajarvi = 0 pts

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Osh = 5 games
Berglund = 4 games
Paajarvi = 1 game

Jackman, Ott, Leopold, Boumeester, Lapierre, Porter, Reaves, & Cole all have 0 pts as well.

Oshie: has regressed. He could have a touch of the flu right now but nothing was said about the first 4 games. He isn't initializing contact he's reacting to it. He's not skating as hard and isn't creating many opportunities.

Berglund: I don't understand why they signed him. 3.7 Mil for 3 more years (including this year). How are you going to trade someone who makes next to no impact in every game with that salary? Bergy is a good defensive forward. That's all I see. I don't get it. If I were the head coach of the Blues' opposing team I would pound in my forwards heads: "If Berglund has the puck in the offensive zone steal the pass that he's going to send back to the point about 89% of the time!!!!"
What did the Blues see in him to sign that deal? I think Sobokta was being a tad unprofessional but Sobokta is light years better than Berglund and would have been cheaper. Minus one on Army for the way this has wound up.

Paajarvi: I get we needed to trade Perron for several reasons. Not fitting in with the coach, salary cap & who knows what inside reasons. But Paajarvi? He can skate fast. And he can skate fast. Plus he's got that skill of skating fast. What does he bring to the team? He can skate fast.

Hitchcock isn't doing the Blues any favors having Cole on top D. He's arguably our worst D. It's hard to pick between him and Jackman. I know Jackman has a ton of fans on here. Cause he's a leader in the locker room? He's good at being slow. He's great at turning the puck over in the D zone. He can cross check pretty good.

As the Blues sit right now Lehtera, Schwartz, Tarasenko, & Stastny look head and shoulders above the rest of the team. Backes is doing what's expected. Steen too is doing about what's expected.

Even Lindstrom has impressed me with his poise and creating chances.

The fall off (among forwards) after those top 6 is going off a cliff right now through 5 games. Hitch better get that turned around. This is not a team built to have a few superstars and the rest grinders/muckers. Every line has to contribute.

I don't think it's time to hit any panic buttons but this is just regular season games. I know it's early in the season but it doesn't bode well when you start thinking about the playoffs.

superblues

:sarcasm: implied
Oct 29, 2011
Wait a second!?! Berglund's still a Blue? We didn't trade him in the off season for someone I've never heard of?

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
If Oshie/Berglund (more so Oshie) have like 4 points after 20 games into the season, then something's up.

superblues

:sarcasm: implied
Oct 29, 2011
Five games isn't enough data points to say much of anything meaningful over an 82 game spread. Truthfully (bc why would anyone lie on the internet), I'm more concerned with being shutout twice in the first five games than I am with the scoring production of any specific player. Our goal production so far has been overpowering against weaker opponents, while we struggle to keep up with equal or better rivals. As in years past, we struggle with goal scoring consistency, and so far it still appears to be an issue.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Not that Paajarvi had a great game, but seems a little unfair to rail on him for not scoring after suiting up once.

But why not throw Elliott up there with that trio. He doesn't have any points either.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I agree about Oshie. I'm sorry but I do feel he has shown that his play has regressed. He hasn't been the same player he was last year, from opening night, yeah he's probably sick now, but he was already playing below what he was doing last year. Oshie just hasn't looked one bit dangerous towards the other team, he's really just been a floater this season, who gets put on his ass a lot.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Berglund looks okay.

Oshie doesn't, but hopefully that changes.

Paajarvi just isn't good and has no future here but we already knew that, and he's never really had a game to prove otherwise.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Oshie also no longer has the teams most circled scoring threat on his opposite wing anymore.

Does Backes look like the same guy?

I've never been that impressed with his offensive hockey sense, mainly because I feel like with his size, speed, and shot, he should be able to do even more. Backes seems to rush plays offensively, but I'm a fan of scoring chance via pass or full blown cycle versus an easy SOG. Why put the puck in a 50/50 scenario if you don't have to?

Again, it might just be a difference in style.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Oshie was 2nd in Blue's scoring with 60 points. Do you really think he'll have only 4 points after 20 games?

I would hope not, I'm just saying that if this was the case then it would be a bit of a concern.

ejoshie

Aug 26, 2008
Berglund's contract has been a mystery as to why - since he signed.

Paajarvi being a healthy scratch in the playoffs - was an indication that he is on borrowed time.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Paajarvi is a useless addition to the discussion.

Berglund has played well.

Oshie is the one that's becoming concerning. Dude is a good player and has made some good plays, but he looks really off.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Paajarvi is a useless addition to the discussion.

Berglund has played well.

Oshie is the one that's becoming concerning. Dude is a good player and has made some good plays, but he looks really off.

What do you think is wrong with him? It can't be that he's in it only for the money and now that he's rich, he's just floating. There was no hint of him being hurt in pre-season, and I have watched all the regular season games and haven't seen him take a hit that would have caused enough damage to drastically hurt his ability to play. So what do you think the problem could be? (nagging small injuries? Migrane headaches, trying to avoid major injury to be able to watch his daughter grow up?

To be honest, I've watched every game, and haven't noticed a problem with his play. The only difference I've noticed is that he skates more smoothly than before, and doesn't fall as much. He isn't throwing his body around as much. Maybe THAT'S why you think he's not trying as hard as he has in the past. His smoother skating may give the impression that he's cruising or floating.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
What do you think is wrong with him? It can't be that he's in it only for the money and now that he's rich, he's just floating. There was no hint of him being hurt in pre-season, and I have watched all the regular season games and haven't seen him take a hit that would have caused enough damage to drastically hurt his ability to play. So what do you think the problem could be? (nagging small injuries? Migrane headaches, trying to avoid major injury to be able to watch his daughter grow up?

To be honest, I've watched every game, and haven't noticed a problem with his play. The only difference I've noticed is that he skates more smoothly than before, and doesn't fall as much. He isn't throwing his body around as much. Maybe THAT'S why you think he's not trying as hard as he has in the past. His smoother skating may give the impression that he's cruising or floating.

I definitely don't think he's floating or trying less. I think he's just making worse decisions, being a little too cute, timing is a bit goofy, and he's losing more puck battles than he usually does. He doesn't look outright bad, he's made some good plays, but he just seems rusty. As to the cause, other than regular old early season rust, I have no idea and no good reason to speculate. Maybe teams are just playing him a bit tighter.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
He's been pretty good, but not Oshie good.

Yeah I guess he just doesn't seem any more rusty than anyone else on the team. I think that Berglund/oshie/backes just need more time to gel. At the speed games in the NHL are played if you aren't clicking just right the whole sequence falls apart and looks awful. Especially when oshie is the puck carrier/neutral zone playmaker on that line.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00